Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New study on vegans and vegetarians.

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    Horseradish is a veggie, right? I wonder if piling it on my steak is because deep down I'm vegan.. Hmmm.
    I think it means that you don't like the taste of steak.

[QUOTE=2dumb2kwit;428774]http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...als-feces-dna/

I read the article- thanks for posting. It reveals that it is inconclusive that gorillas eat meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Power Giant View Post
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...als-feces-dna/

I read the article- thanks for posting. It reveals that it is inconclusive that gorillas eat meat.
    From what I have read, it's not likely that gorillas eat meat like we think of eating meat. It appears that they get a lot of the protein that they need from ant's, termites, etc.. A lot of which simple gets eaten with all the leaves that they eat. (About 75 pounds a day.) They spend many hours of the day eating.

It has been noted, that in captivity, they will eat meat. My guess is that they don't get enough of the protein that they need from the leaves that they are fed.

I wonder if they were more omnivorous in the distant past, then as they spent more and more of their time eating leaves, to the point that they were getting the needed protein from them, (and the insects on them) that over time evolved into more of an herbivore. Hmmm.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

...of coarse, if any of them got really hungry and ate one of those little pigs running around the jungle, then that would change everything. You know....once you've had bacon, you're a carnivore for life! Some of those gorillas may have done this, thus reverting back to their old pointy teeth instincts.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

You've heard how there are no atheists in the foxhole? Well, there are no bacon lovers in the ICU. Bill Clinton turned vegan after his quadruple and many others in that position "saw the light" as well and learned to live with it. Literally.
    Hey, whatever works for you, is fine with me. I've learned things the hard way, and maybe that's the only way...otherwise it's not real. All I can offer is this: Do what you know is right before you are forced to do it. By then, you might have reached a point of no return.

No bacon lovers in ICU? Cool... I'm eating more, I don't ever want to end up there! Lol! Seriously though, I don't care what anyone prefers as long as they don't get high and mighty. When my sister became vegan, she was like a newly quit smoker... All of us meat eaters were killing our selves and she was going to save us from our poor choices.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    No bacon lovers in ICU? Cool... I'm eating more, I don't ever want to end up there! Lol! Seriously though, I don't care what anyone prefers as long as they don't get high and mighty. When my sister became vegan, she was like a newly quit smoker... All of us meat eaters were killing our selves and she was going to save us from our poor choices.
    Good to see you back around. You've been missed.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If Ken can do it, so can I! I got a new phone which doesn't suck quite as bad with this format.. when I'm home, the computer is never on (to busy)!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Like I said...whatever works for you, as long as it works.
    As in anything in life, people who "see the light" generally want to spread the word and save others from making mistakes. That can be off putting when all's well. When it's not, you wish you were smarter.

Unfortunately, they've found that cholesterol isn't linked to heart attacks. It doesn't matter how much fat and cholesterol you eat, it's not going to increase your chances of having a heart attack:

http://chriskresser.com/cholesterol-...-heart-disease

Strangely, I heard this first last year on NPR.

This is the problem with the recent research on cholesterol and Altzheimer's:

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-12228...-nonsense.html

Unfortunately, the brain needs cholesterol to function properly and by cutting it out of the diet so strictly, we may actually be doing damage to our brains:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ing-your-brain

A big problem is that doctors are very conservative and tend to ignore the research. They're going to be prescribing statins long after the research community has determined that such low levels of cholesterol are bad for us. By the way, the normal levels for blood pressure and cholesterol have changed...again. There are still doctors treating ulcers (caused by H. pylori bacteria) with bland diets. They will be prescribing statins and low cholesterol diets long after it is nailed down that they don't work.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Default How does it go again?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I guess I find it odd that vegans, or vegetarians see fit and make a big deal out of it to anyone close or in earshot.
    So what....give your self a dog biscuit......I don't care"
    To those that don't,.... thank you....Do what you want.

So on that note, for those that do.....we all should announce loudly in restaurants...... "I'm a carnivore, ...Deal with it.
    I find it interesting that meat eaters having a go at vegetarians always go on about the noise vegetarians make about it. This whole thread is based on having a go at vegetarians are there any having a go at meat eaters? I have been a vegetarian for over 30 years and am fit and healthy and don't talk about it much at all. Not unless someone raises it with me. I know that I can bring as many articles as you like saying the opposite to the one above so I won't bother. There are many many fit and healthy vegetarians but that is not why I am one. I am one because it takes a lot less energy and area to feed a vegetarian. To be a meat eater now, with the current rate of environmental destruction, could be considered by some to be selfish. If you want to keep having areas to survive and wildlife to survive we need to think the way we eat on a daily basis. Maybe that is why some vegetarians make noise about it? Maybe they care about nature? I gave up thinking people actually care about anything but themselves many years ago hence I don't usually bother to comment. But I would have thought survivalists would understand a take what you need approach. I would also have thought that you would understand that when people come to a new realisation about the world they talk about it a lot...perhaps like some do when they start hunting? I was raised hunting my own food by a hunter. Later I was taught by others we met more on how to track and what plants were good. It was that upbringing that lead to a deep understanding and respect for nature. One of the many reasons I am now a vegetarian.

Having said that I would be interested in exchanging notes on survival approaches and the use of plants with anyone who has an interest and I won't hold what you eat against you if you treat me with the same respect.

@WildBuna
    I am a vegetarian, too. Not evangelical about it unless someone wants to challenge me. (then I'll see you outside )
    As I said before in this thread, people will do what they want to do and find support for it so engaging in a peeing match is pretty futile and leads to bad feelings all around; minds are almost never changed so why even go there? I do my thing and don't make a big deal out of it. I can always find something I can eat no matter where in the world I go or whose house or restaurant I visit. I don't believe in making people feel bad about their choices same way I don't want them making me feel bad about mine. Those who do, just want to provoke and they are the last ones who can be rational about it.

People who ultimately make the switch do so because something happens in their lives to make them think. It could be health or it could be an animal that tugs at their heart and makes them realize there's more to it than being killed for food that's not necessary to stay alive, much less be healthy.

Comes down to let's agree to disagree, nothing more.

@Wildbuna - Don't take us too seriously. No one is putting down vegans. Just having fun. We do that a lot on a lot of subjects. Don't we, B?

While the views on eating and lifestyle choices are as varied as there are people, let me head this one off at the pass.....Keep the responses civil (I know how us meat eaters can be) and light. Everybody will decide what is best for them and act accordingly. With some it may take and "awakening" to figure out what is best for them.

As David Carradine once was told.......choose wisely grasshopper.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    @Wildbuna - Don't take us too seriously. No one is putting down vegans. Just having fun. We do that a lot on a lot of subjects. Don't we, B?
    Yeah, we like to have fun especially when we disagree. Preaching to the choir only goes so far and from time to time one needs a little action to get the blood pressure up.

If you approach it like a good sparring game after which you shake hands and go out for a drink, it could be rewarding...if you take it personally and get nasty about it, it's the end of conversation and no one likes that.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Yeah, we like to have fun especially when we disagree. Preaching to the choir only goes so far and from time to time one needs a little action to get the blood pressure up.

If you approach it like a good sparring game after which you shake hands and go out for a drink, it could be rewarding...if you take it personally and get nasty about it, it's the end of conversation and no one likes that.
    I have to agree "B"....and to be quoted in a 2 year old thread, just kinda of made me laugh.....on post number "2" no less....

Lets go have that drink.....LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have known several ladies that are vegans, but will tell you that they actually like meat. They feel so sorry for the animals, they eat veggies to simply avoid the animals death in order for them to eat!
    Last edited by Wildthang; 02-15-2016 at 05:59 PM.

There are quite a few good reasons to be vegetarian. I know a Therian who doesn't eat meat because she is so disgusted by modern meat production techniques.

One of the problems with vegetarianism is that it requires considerable planning to make sure you get all the nutrients you need, like essential amino acids; so I would also be interested in seeing how a person would handle that in a survival situation. If it ever happens, I may have some vegetarians to be concerned about.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    There are quite a few good reasons to be vegetarian. I know a Therian who doesn't eat meat because she is so disgusted by modern meat production techniques.

One of the problems with vegetarianism is that it requires considerable planning to make sure you get all the nutrients you need, like essential amino acids; so I would also be interested in seeing how a person would handle that in a survival situation. If it ever happens, I may have some vegetarians to be concerned about.
    Wolf, I think if you feed them both beans and rice, they will get both of the essential amino acids!
    And feed them all of this stuff.........LOL

Sources Of Essential Amino Acid (Food And Vegetables)
    •Isolucine: seeds and soya beans, egg, meat, fish, lentils, almonds and cashewnuts.
    •Lucine: fish, pulses, lentils.
    •Lysine: potatoes, yeast, beans, meat, soy products, cheese, fish, eggs.
    •Methionine: yogurt, lentils, meat, beans, dairy products, eggs, onion, garlic, fish.
    •Phenylalanine: sesame seeds, tahini, nuts and beans, almonds, soya products, cheese.
    •Thrionine: salmons, sardines, tuna fish, brown rice, beef, soy, liver, peanuts.
    Last edited by Wildthang; 02-15-2016 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Wolf, I think if you feed them both beans and rice, they will get both of the essential amino acids!
    And feed them all of this stuff.........LOL

Sources Of Essential Amino Acid (Food And Vegetables)
    •Isolucine: seeds and soya beans, egg, meat, fish, lentils, almonds and cashewnuts.
    •Lucine: fish, pulses, lentils.
    •Lysine: potatoes, yeast, beans, meat, soy products, cheese, fish, eggs.
    •Methionine: yogurt, lentils, meat, beans, dairy products, eggs, onion, garlic, fish.
    •Phenylalanine: sesame seeds, tahini, nuts and beans, almonds, soya products, cheese.
    •Thrionine: salmons, sardines, tuna fish, brown rice, beef, soy, liver, peanuts.
    Looks like a lot of fish and meat on that list.

Now add in foods to avoid for gout.....
    Red meat, organ meats, sea food, green veggies, nuts, lentils, dairy, cheese, liquor, beer, wine.......

Pretty much leaves only Snickers Bars, oat meal, water.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27