Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A gasoline storage idea

Default A gasoline storage idea

Face it, our generators and vehicles WILL be obsolete soon after a SHTF scenario because of a lack of gasoline. If you want electricity or vehicle mobility you have no choice but to store some gas. The only safe option I see is in approved plastic gas cans, stored out in a shed. One other way I thought of is to dig a pit, 4 or 5 feet deep, which could hold gas cans or 55 gallon barrels below ground level. This way, if they do blow up the blast will go up instead of outward toward you or your home. An insulated covering or roof would assist in keeping temperature lower and also make your cache less noticeable. A wooden or metal roof that lies flush with the ground and covered with leaves or other camouflage or even a shed would be about as safe as you can get with gas.
    Just my idea. What do you think?

I think I'll keep my metal Blitz cans. The only SHTF scenario I'm concerned about is weather related.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Gas goes bad. Propane everything.
    GOD FAVORS NO GROUP ONLY RELIGIONS DO THAT

Quote Originally Posted by backtobasics View Post
    Gas goes bad. Propane everything.
    What Rick said.
    What BTB said.

Used to be gas would last, and still does for a while with treatment, but with the alcohol added goes bad quick.

One has to be concerned with condensation just from the heat/cold fluctuation....a big enough tank would allow for settling, some what.

Unless you owned a gas station with storage.....would be pretty tough to store much....as when shortage occur and you are still moving around....you will be followed back to your source.

I don't plan on much more that a maybe 20 gal diesel, and 10 gal of gas...treated....and keep all vehicles as close to full as practical.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Around here you can get a scrap 500 gallon lp tank for 150 dollars, maybe less at times. These make great gas and fuel oil tanks.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I have an old dump truck on the back of the property with 2, 50 gallon saddle tanks, the old truck runs but I keep it just for gas storage. I use gas out of it and replace it with fresh on a regular basis. I keep premium in it because it has no ethanol suposedly! So far I have not had any bad gas!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I have an old dump truck on the back of the property with 2, 50 gallon saddle tanks, the old truck runs but I keep it just for gas storage. I use gas out of it and replace it with fresh on a regular basis. I keep premium in it because it has no ethanol suposedly! So far I have not had any bad gas!
    Around here Premium has the ethanol added up to a certain percentage.
    What we look for it the Regular with no ethanol.....I have a station out at "The Place"....that I fill my gas cans with.

I am making a effort to switch to diesel,... truck and tractor so far...as it is possible to burn many grades....including vegetable oil.
    Not sure how this holds true with the new diesels with all the electronic stuff.

Diesel in Wisconsin? You've got ta be keeping additive in it during the winter doncha know. Even cows milk gets thick in the winter in Wisconsin.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Diesel in Wisconsin? You've got ta be keeping additive in it during the winter doncha know. Even cows milk gets thick in the winter in Wisconsin.
    Then it turns to cheese

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Around here Premium has the ethanol added up to a certain percentage.
    What we look for it the Regular with no ethanol.....I have a station out at "The Place"....that I fill my gas cans with.

I am making a effort to switch to diesel,... truck and tractor so far...as it is possible to burn many grades....including vegetable oil.
    Not sure how this holds true with the new diesels with all the electronic stuff.
    That's becoming ever more difficult to find. In my local area, of all the fuel stations I've used between here and Atlanta (roughly 40 miles depending on route), I know of one pump which dispenses ethanol-free fuel. And I have to wonder how long until that one is out of commission.

Just remember, by law gas stations are required to label their pumps as to the percentage of ethanol (alcohol) is in their gas. If it has a label stating it has ethanol, drive on by and get your gas at a station that doesn't have ethanol in it. Ethanol is hydroscopic meaning that it will absorb moisture which is a destroyer of gasoline quality. Also, pure ethanol produces 25% less power than gasoline by itself, so the more ethanol it has, the less power and miles per gallon you get out of it. Buy only gasoline without ethanol and use a good stabilizer in it like Staybil to help make it last longer. I have stored gasoline up to 2 years using this method with no noticeable degrading of the fuel quality. Another good source of mobility in a SHTF situation is by horse ! When he breaks down, you just eat him and keep going !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

It's interesting that the addition of alcohol to fuels has actually increased our consumption of gasoline because of the very facts you stated. Less mpg means more fill ups for the same miles driven. Not to mention we are using a food source to create it. Kinda dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It's interesting that the addition of alcohol to fuels has actually increased our consumption of gasoline because of the very facts you stated. Less mpg means more fill ups for the same miles driven. Not to mention we are using a food source to create it. Kinda dumb.
    Conspiracy ?????
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

No. Washington got involved. Farmers can make more money so they talk to their representatives. They think it's a good idea to promote the sale of corn so they pass the laws. If you want to talk about conspiracy then look into CAFE laws the car makers adhere to. THAT'S a conspiracy by highly paid lobbyists.

They shoould just design a car that burns popcorn. The popping action would create the combustion cycle I'm getting a patent on this now before some turkey with one of the big 3 thinks of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    They shoould just design a car that burns popcorn. The popping action would create the combustion cycle I'm getting a patent on this now before some turkey with one of the big 3 thinks of it!
    They don't think of anything....they buy you out.......like the legendary 150 MPG carburetor.

You too? I think the first time I heard that was about 1967 or so. The guy that told me had an uncle whose friend's next door neighbor's nephew bought a new car and............

I thought it was a truck with faulty paint so they repainted it every year for free?

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyer1 View Post
    I thought it was a truck with faulty paint so they repainted it every year for free?
    Had one,,,,87 Ford pick up......so they would paint the parts that peeled off...new paint next to faded paint....or $700 bucks for a new truck.
    Basically told them to kiss off, that I would just bad mouth them as much as I could......and I still am.

Wildthing....having that extra storage in a "portable container" isn't a bad idea

edited....
    Last edited by sjj; 09-30-2014 at 07:18 PM.