Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Best Survival Knife"

Default "Best Survival Knife"

Well, folks, been awhile since I seen these....(makes ya wonder how many years have to go by before they try again?)

On the TV this morning $14.95.....and comes with a paracord bracelet.

https://www.rockyknife.com/?mid=5202846

Still have the one some one gifted to me years ago.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I like how they show a timeline of what knives look like in the video haha.

Super sharp survival blade
    Say that real fast 3 times.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

The one I have, from the last '80's ....looks same but is missing the wire saw, broke in about 5 seconds......LOL.

It just seems funny that they show up every so many years, after the last batch of people either forgot, or didn't care how bad the sucked the last time.

The problem with living awhile is that you get to see stuff show back up.

Darn the luck. It's a Rocky Mountain knife. I wonder if they make one like that called a Hoosier Knife? Probably has a corn cob handle.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Did you see the buffalo take off with just a look at that knife? It MUST be an awesome knife.

"if you don't have it, it can't help you".
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Funny thing is if you Google Survival knife....images.....just look at how many of these are pictured, the click on them, and see how many places sell them and what the names are.

They have been around for a long time.

I'm just wondering why they still have a bottle opener ? I haven't seen a bottle that required one for many years now ! They probably just found a stash of them in a warehouse and decided to try and dump them. Before I'd spend 15 bucks on one of them I think I would opt for a good Mora for around $12 ! I had one of them that someone gave me for Christmas several years ago and the second time I use it I noticed the blade was loose. Next time I took it out of the sheath, I looked down and the blade was gone. Thought it might be on the ground somewhere and started looking for it but found it still in the sheath. The nut that held it to the handle had stripped and came off inside the handle ! I ended up drilling the hole out and tapped it and used it for a shifter handle of the floor shift of my truck - was pretty neat to have a compass on my shifter ! LOL
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

I'm thinking it like the Hula hoop, or Yo yo....They bring them back every 10 years or so.....whole new generation of customers.

You also notice that they came out with these originally before the cheapo ferro rod....but include one now....
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-31-2014 at 03:51 PM.

Yeah I am sure that batoning wood logs is going work with that knife

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf
    The nut that held it to the handle

Not gonna do it. Waaaaay too easy.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    [qoute=Lamewolf]The nut that held it to the handle

Not gonna do it. Waaaaay too easy.
    Choke, cough, sputter....Bhohahahah

This hollow handle just might be OK!

http://www.outdoorcountrysurvivalist...urvival-knife/

OH GOSH. Not these things again. These knives...no I'm sorry they don't get the honor of being called a knife....these TOYS are a huge money pit and I feel pity for anyone who gets one without knowing exactly what they are buying.
    Now, I'm not saying owning one is a bad thing...just as long as the person owning it doesn't think they can actually depend on it. I got one when I was a kid from a flea market. Actually seems like flea markets were where I got most of my knives until I was old enough to buy off the internet. Anyway, bought one when I was 13 or so, thought I had just got the most awesome thing ever. I got home and went straight into the woods near my house with my tent and supplies, told my mom I'd see her tomorrow I was gonna go camping and rule the woods with my awesome new survival "knife". Man, Im not even sure the thing lasted an hour of normal use before I started to notice the blade bending, getting super dull, and the handle cracking. All I did was gather up and cut some dry firewood tender. I was disappointed beyond belief. Best part? The compass ball on the end thought East was North.

In a way though, I'm glad I went through the experience of buying the thing. In my mind, even back then as a kid, I saw it as a lesson learned about quality and understanding what REAL knives were as opposed to imported replica toys that exist purely to put money in some dealer's pocket. I lost that thing years ago. If I recall I got so fed up with it after a point I stuck it in a log in the woods and walked away. Never saw it again. Im just glad I didnt cut myself on it when it broke, or I would have felt emotionally assulted by the thing.

As you all can tell I hate those things

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger_Spencer
    The compass ball on the end thought East was North.

You silly. That's called auto declination. The really really good knives come with that. If you get an awesome one the compass will occasionally spin a little just to give you some training in bushwhacking.

The hollow handle is to put a piece of paper with your name and contact information on it.....To let the people know that find your remains.......who was stupid enough to trust it in the wild.
    You know they do fill a nitch.....There are people in the world that will not believe you, when you tell them it's piece of crap....they NEED to see it for them selves.

Blog Entries

Cool Hollow handle knives.

Back in the day when we thought that all the members of this forum were upright honest people we had a deal going called "the pass-around" knife. Both were stolen by members who felt that the low-cost knives were worth more than being members of WSF! Both knives were the same...hollow handled knives made by Cold Steel and very good ones:

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/BUS...AN_SERIES.aspx

They've gone up in price but now sport a fire steel!...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

True. Sad but true.

The best survival knife? What is a survival knife? You mean the ones with the hollow handle where you can fit all those survival kit in? I am not into them. I prefer a simple knife that is sharp, won't easily get nicked, won't break if you are knocing the back part with a piece of timber, cuts into bamboo easy and doesn't cause any pain when you grip for a long time.
    I am fond of Mora, Kershaw, AMK, Spyderco with the H1 blade and NRS. However the all time favorite in my survival bags are Mora and Kershaw with Mora being my constant companion. Especially the one with the ferro rod (Mora knife with Gerber Ferro rod) in the handle.
    I usually carry a parang (google it up..its a Malay traditional machete) my left hp and the Mora on my right hip with another Mora or a Kershaw in my survival kit. That should do it. So far these knifes have been with me for more than 5 years with the Machete more than 15 years...and they work. That is the bottom line. The best knives are those that works for ya...it might for you, but it might not for me and vice versa.
    I do agree that putting your name telling people who you are in a hollow handle of the knife is good...I label all my clothes with my name and NOK contact number. I wear dog tags too.
    Last edited by Tokwan; 06-13-2014 at 05:13 AM.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Frankly , its been ages since I last heard the word Hula Hoop.......really ages...!
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!