Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surviving by the water.

The Indians would float bushel gourds in small impoundments for several weeks untill the ducks would become accustomed to them floating around.After a few weeks,they would cut eye holes in the gourds and slip them over their heads.They would walk out into the water imitating a floating gourd,reach up from below a duck,grasping its legs and quickly pulling it under,snap its neck and put it in a woven net bag tied to their sides.

Also done with reeds or whatever else is natural. I want to film doing this but I can't get the camera covered up enough. If I cover it and the blinking red light enough then you can't see what it's recording....

Um....go into options and turn the red light off. Of course you stand the chance of recording 40 minutes of your truck seat on the way home but........
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have seen plenty of people catching "Mud bugs", crawfish, in the ditches along I-49 in Louisiana.
    But with the trash, oils, and chemicals, I don't know if these small spots may not be your best bet on catching some thing to eat.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You can't turn the red light off.... You can turn the beeping off but that's it... Plus the lens and glare give you away pretty easily even without the red. The light I can tape over.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I have seen plenty of people catching "Mud bugs", crawfish, in the ditches along I-49 in Louisiana.
    But with the trash, oils, and chemicals, I don't know if these small spots may not be your best bet on catching some thing to eat.
    That's why I suggested getting off the beaten path and locate the forgotten areas.Frogs are your environmental indicators,whatever is going on in the water,frogs will tell you.If you do decide to eat from a road ditch,ask the frogs first.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
    I think you are missing my point,I also believe folks think too big when we talk survival.I have purposely started conversations( acting as if I was inquiring and naive) just to feel out others thoughts.The average person in emergencys have very limited if any forethought of day to day,possibly long term survival.Most think in 2-3 day terms and no more than a week,after that theft would be their only option.
    What emergencies have you 'survived' through? I'd be keen to read that, rather than read your opinion about other people.

here's my second ever fly I tied, a few years back. What are the experts thoughts here?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    What emergencies have you 'survived' through? I'd be keen to read that, rather than read your opinion about other people.

Enigma, you are challenging a guy that has not logged onto the forum in over a year.

What is the point? Are you addicted to conflict?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

here's my second ever fly I tied, a few years back. What are the experts thoughts here?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Gotta ask the fish.......

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Enigma, you are challenging a guy that has not logged onto the forum in over a year.

What is the point? Are you addicted to conflict?
    Conflict? no.

first off, I have no idea how to tell if someone has logged in or not, and secondly, I don't have much patience for big mouths, who sit on their arses judging others. Especially from words on a screen. if my questions are causing YOU issues, them I apologise, that is, and never will be my intent here. Forums are full of people big on opinions, but not big on getting their arses dirty doing things for real.

The fly tying question I posted above, was genuine by the way.

Conflict? no.

first off, I have no idea how to tell if someone has logged in or not, and secondly, I don't have much patience for big mouths, who sit on their arses judging others. Especially from words on a screen. if my questions are causing YOU issues, them I apologise, that is, and never will be my intent here. Forums are full of people big on opinions, but not big on getting their arses dirty doing things for real.

The fly tying question I posted above, was genuine by the way.
    Yeah, well pretty easy to "call out" someone that has been long gone......That's just sad......LOL
    Must be slow times out in the bush......

Hunter, I genuinely have no idea how to tell if someone is 'long gone'. I honestly just read the words on the screen. I could throw the same "sad'" stuff back at you, with a lot of the posts here, but I don't, because I know how forums work.
    You always get a 'core' group, who are extremely over-protective of 'their' forum, for whatever reasons they have. When a 'newbie' comes along, they enjoy the new situation, and focus on every word written by the 'newbie'.
    What is actually 'sad' Hunter, is if we all met in REAL life, we'd probably be having a good time together.

can you focus on the good we can all do for each other , rather than the negative? I'm not perfect, I can also get pissed off at stuff I read here, but so far, from how I interpret how this forum operates, I have no reason to have a go at the dudes that run this place, such as yourself; you all seem to be quite genuine, if a little blasé about answering genuine questions, by us 'newbies'. (Totally understandable, been there done that on public forums).

and no, I don't have 'slow times out bush', I'm here to learn as much as I can about Nth America, in as little time I have, before it may become all too real mate. :-)

Just an FYI.....
    Sluggo's post #26 is dated 04-02-2014........

Taking it a step further...clicking on screen name....View forum posts...will tell you when his the last post was made.

Thank you Hunter.

Clicking on screen name then View Profile will tell you the last time a person logged on even if they didn't post anything.

Eat the things other people won't want to or won't think of.

Fresh water clams, Crayfish, Turtles, Smaller fish, Snakes, Frogs, Cattails, ect.

As for catching allot of these things if you can learn from someone that poaches. No condoning the act of poaching unless you have hungry family waiting back home but those guys have to me notoriously sneaky to fill the cook pot back home and I've had the pleasure of rubbing elbows with some of the old school local back woods fine folks when hunting didn't really have a season and meat was usually what was for dinner.

A good deal of what I did learn from these people can be done with some brass wire and fishing line so if your set is discovered by Johnny law you're not out much in the way of money. I've even seen trot lines done up with nails tied to cheap fishing line and the odd rat trap used to catch squirrels and the likes.

I can post some of my learning if people are interested if you folks are OK with that type of talk and I'd like to hear back if you have a tidbit or two yourself.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I do think the OP has a point about gathering food from tiny streams and culverts. Purely because of curiosity, I have explored the fish content of pools below culverts on a stream flowing through my uncles farm in Penna. It was amazing how many fish were in those pools and some were surprisingly large. And that does not take into account the huge population of crayfish in streams in that area. I think it is a good idea to acquire the means to exploit that resource, ie: minnow/fish traps, minnow seines, gill nets, and set/trot lines.
    Geezer Squad #2

One park that was the site of our city's rendezvous, had a pond on it.

They found red crawfish an invasive species in it as the buckskinner's kids were catching them on a string bated with pieces of bacon.

They tried to poison them out......ended up filling in that pool.

Some thought that a "helpful person" had placed them in that pond.

Anyway...point is, ....yes, the are resources and even dried up ponds can come back to life after a rain....
    Fish, frogs, turtles, and crawfish.