Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surviving by the water.

Default Surviving by the water.

In all my gettings,I have gotten wisdom,not by my own doings,but by listening to the wise.A wise person once told me,a person can eat well when eating from the water.I will never forget that tidbit of information,so here is an idea that will help feed you with ease.Purchase,I will say it again,purchase a well built collapsible fish trap.Why purchase?it is easier to build from a pattern if you need extra,why collapsible?for ease of transporting/ hiding/storing/when not in use.Many collapse to an inch thickness,making it very user friendly,yet work equally as well as bulky,non collapsible versions.More can be carried in a boat,bicycle,backpack,atv,car or truck,allowing the user to set more,plus any un- used game can be released to trap for a later meal.

Here are some instructions post by Rebel for a bait trap:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ight=fish+trap

and a thread posted by jthompson with some pictures posted by Jay and Canid:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ight=fish+trap

Gill nets, casting nets, seins, and fyke nets are also examples of compact and effective fish catchers as are dip nets but not as compact. There are even a couple of tutorials on here on how to build nets.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I saw the one Rebel posted and it actually does work for small fish (minnows, etc.) The video he posted showed the plastic bottle with it cut almost in half, leaving barely enough space for the fish to get in. I suggest just cutting off an inch or two from the top and it'll work a lot more efficiently.

I've made fish traps from hardware cloth and chicken wire and they worked well. Made up in the typical cylinder/funnel configuration.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Casts nets are extremely heavy. And mine isn't compact. But I know they make smaller ones than 11'. Still he's y even if they're small. A lot of lead...

Cast nets also take skill. I'm like Rick in a canoe. I can just see that thing wrapping itself around me and taking me to the bottom.

I'm still of the opinion that unless there is an epidemic of some sort that takes out 9/10ths of the population, survival in any long term survival situation is going to be risky at best. Especially near any water source big enough to sustain you. Other people are thinking the same thing and you make a clear target out in a boat casting a net. I live across the street from a great bass fishing lake. But there are couple inlets that even on a good day, you don't go into them because people have claimed them as "theirs."
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

If you can throw a frisbee you can throw a cast net. Provided you get shown a correct way of throwing it

I think you are missing my point,I also believe folks think too big when we talk survival.I have purposely started conversations( acting as if I was inquiring and naive) just to feel out others thoughts.The average person in emergencys have very limited if any forethought of day to day,possibly long term survival.Most think in 2-3 day terms and no more than a week,after that theft would be their only option.If/when our economy fails,will you be in theft mode in a few short days ( odds are you will be killed during a raid.)Forget the public waters,forget local known waters,everyone else will soon be flocking them to eventually steal what you have caught.do a little scouting,locate small hidden creeks/ streams,hidden ponds,even secluded culverts.These places offer a bountiful supply of aquatic life,hidden because everyone thinks too big.using collapsible fish/ crab traps allow for quick hidden fishing/ trapping while most are storming the large bodies of water,you can secretly be feeding yourself and family.We need to stop thinking big,think small and you will eat better.

Small and stealthy? A rectangular section of net rolled up. When needed use you pieces of bamboo or watever is around threaded through each end. Spread out and stick the ends in the mud until the tips are just below the water unseen. Gill em. You'll catch a lot.

but I don't buy into the if/when scenarios. I don't think anyone is thinking too big either. I have a couple of gill nets that will fit in my cargo pants pocket. The difference being, I could use my gill net to trap birds too. You won't do that with a fish trap.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well to each his own,just remember everything you can just in case a scenario you didn't think would happen did.As far as fish traps catching only fish,you need to experiment a bit more.On countless occasions my fish only traps have caught mice,ground squirrels,snakes,and numorous birds ( all set on dry land and often without bait.)when set in the water they are constant suppliers for meals.So hear is the deal,perhaps your or even the masses do not think to big,congrats,but for those who just might feel overwhelmed with it all,think smaller..........kinda like the government hmmmm!Oh one more little small tidbit,say you need a meal and your nets and collapsible traps are incapacitated.If you can locate a wide mouth jar,or a wad of chicken wire,fashion the wire into a tube with one end closed,bait the wire tube or glass jar,set it/ them in the open,say a field edge.Birds will enter the open end and always try to exit the closed end.For the naysayers,I do this every season for squirrels and catch birds in abundance

I've made fish traps from tires less the rim. Not real noticeable by the average joe.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I've made fish traps from tires less the rim. Not real noticeable by the average joe.
    Would like to see that......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Don't currently have a picture but can explain. Lash the sidewalls together about two thirds of the way up. Then perforate the bottom of the tire with holes using a awl, punch bullets etc. The holes need to be able to drain water. Holes can be cut with a knife too. Then hook a rope opposite to the perforated bottom. Put some bait of sorts inside and toss it in. Position it in such a way it can be pulled up fast. I have caught fish with this.

I can see the tire trap being a good one and not be noticed.I hope we never need to exercise survival techniques because we a forced to,but it would be foolish to think it will never happen.My motto is," Practice when not required,know it when it is".

As long as I have a good supply of usable Yamamotos I could catch enough to eat in less time to set and sink a trap.
    As for the small streams and ponds, trust me, if you've thought of it, everyone else of a similar mindset has too. Most waters will be fished out in no time if any collapse is bad enough.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I wasn't dissing your idea simply trying to add to it. Fish traps have always been a good way to acquire fish. Any device that does the work for you and allows you to be doing something else in the interim is a good idea. If you've been successful catching small game with fish traps all the better. Multi-use is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    As long as I have a good supply of usable Yamamotos I could catch enough to eat in less time to set and sink a trap.
    As for the small streams and ponds, trust me, if you've thought of it, everyone else of a similar mindset has too. Most waters will be fished out in no time if any collapse is bad enough.
    I think the point I'm getting at is,the masses do not have any plan.The masses do not worry,they are not of any mindset other than keeping a three day supply of water and hamburger helper.Sure every well known lake,stream,pond or river will be hit hard,but the separation will be the abilities folks have.How many do you suppose have practiced setting traps under ice,not on a popular lake,but in a culvert hole on an abandoned road,or a water filled ditch line to small to hold anything of size?When I say think small,eat big,that is totally against the grain and mindset of the masses.We live in a selfish society,that alone is reason enough to think small,less noticed and well fed.Again,I hope nothing ever happens,I happen to believe in a Creator who loves his children,but good and bad also falls on his children,I choose not to be slothful,and faithfully believe my minnow traps will be filled and I can share the bounty!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    but I don't buy into the if/when scenarios. I don't think anyone is thinking too big either. I have a couple of gill nets that will fit in my cargo pants pocket. The difference being, I could use my gill net to trap birds too. You won't do that with a fish trap.
    Yes I can catch a flying fish,Look it up

Yes but to be truly multi use can you catch a swimming duck?