Thread: Ragnar's Revenge

Default Ragnar's Revenge

I'm sure there are several fans of the show Vikings on here (myself included) which was where I drew some inspiration for this seax. I still have to complete the sheath and will post final photos at that point, but I liked it so much I couldn't resist sharing it on here. After doing a ton a production work last month I figured it was time for a skill building project, and decided on attempting a wolf's tooth pattern seax. I then decided to make it more complicated by doing a seven bar composite seax (again for those that don't know I don't have a press or power hammer and this is all done with my 3 1/2 lb forging hammer).

So just because it is a weird construction method here is a picture of what I mean by seven bar composite. The edge geometry on this drawing isn't to scale just a rough guideline for following while forging.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The vertical bar is the central core of wrought iron, while each of the four bars (two per side of the wrought iron) are 10 layers of 15n20 and 1080. These four bars and the wrought iron core are welded into a billet which is then welded to the edge billet which is made of two billets. The teeth are 1095 and the back bar is L6, 1080, and wrought iron.

The teeth and back bar contain about 20 or so layers all together and forged together well, although I ended up not having enough tooth material and lost a couple of teeth in the end knife towards the back edge which was a real bummer, but lesson learned and the edge hardened just fine so no problems there.

Because I do my pattern welding by hand I often get creative about how I assemble billets to make things easier on myself. In this case making 1/2 wide x 3/4 inch thick, x 13 inch long billets. This next photo shows what will become the spine (five bar composite) and the edge billet.

Then this was where is got tricky and why I lost a couple teeth, welding on edge at 1/4 inch thickness for a 3 inch wide billet can be tricky and it did fight me for a bit.

All told it took me about eight hours of forge work from start to finish to forge this blade. But eventually it all came together and after ruining a beautiful piece of 6,000 year old bog oak and then spending another $60 on some top shelf black ash burl I ended up with a size-able seax. I haven't taken the final measurements yet but it is sitting right around 15/16 inches overall length and the edge is about 1 3/4 wide at the widest with a 1/4 inch spine at the ferrule. The ferrule is carved bronze (a first for me and extremely basic) and then this beautiful piece of black ash burl. Over all I am very pleased with it and it was a great learning experience, with the sheath still to go.

I'll post pictures with the sheath when it is completed but thanks for looking and all comments are welcome.

Robert

Nice, very very nice!!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Pretty neat. And yes, I love Vikings.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Wow that looks great! Nice work.

That's an amazing piece of art. The fact the teeth fade away rather than end abruptly doesn't detract from the beauty of the blade in my opinion. It appears more like a planned reduction in size (you can tell customers that ). You did good.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You have my respect, admiration and jealousy, all at once. Fine work.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

That is very nice.....can out fantastic.
    Thanks for posting.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yes very very good and detailed work.
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

Thank you for the kind compliments everyone, this project was a big learning experience and it's not done yet...still the sheath to figure out.

awesome job, looks great. On a side note I almost have my Hoffman style forge put together.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Is that the forge that goes to coffee and disappears? Oh, wait. That was Hoffa. Never mind.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Glad to hear it Randyt send me pictures when its done I'd love to see it!

love the show, sweet blade man

Nice work. Looks great