Thread: All About Fire

Post All About Fire

I was wondering what creative ways you guys have to create kindling to start a fire with. Of course there are twigs...grass..."fuzz" or cotton, but what other ways do you have?

One thing that I heard about, and tried, was a pencil sharpener. Just find the right-sized stick to fit in the sharpener and twist it all up until you have thin, dry shavings to use.

Also, what kind of fire do you like making? A log cabin, a tipi? Or maybe it's more of a HUGE crazy stack of logs for you pyromaniacs!

Post what you like to do and how you like to make your fires down below.

I prefer a nice Log Cabin with stones surrounding it, or maybe digging a small hole to build it in.

I don't get very technical when it comes to creating fire and I don't carry extra gear to make kindling. I try to gather stuff as I walk along so I don't have to spend time looking for it when it's time to camp. As to the type of fire that sort of depends on the reason for the fire. Here's a post I did some type back on the different types and when to use them.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...highlight=Fire
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

What's with building it in a hole are you trying to keep a low profile and hide from someone

I've dug a depression before when I was trying to contain the coals or keep the fire from spreading. Especially if the surrounding ground cover was dry.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Fire is a useful tool and can be used many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I favor the pit/banked sod/dirt, fire as well, for cooking , banking at night, and ease of putting out.

If a pit isn't used, two fair sized logs are laid horizontally * to 10" apart, a Teepee fire on the inside, aids in cooking and as the side log start can be rolled in to keep burning.
    Here is a quote from the older thread......and it still holds true for the most part.
    Like anything, .....what and how depends on where and why....and for how long.

Lately there have been a lot of burning bans including cooking fires at camp grounds, so a lot more braziers and stove variations are being used.
    At our local rendezvous this was a problem.....so bought a cheapo kettle grill, just used the botton of the kettle, buried in a dug out sod hole.
    Top was close by to snuff out.......this satisfied the rule "All open fires must be contained in fire ring".........and no one said anything....sort of stretching the rule a tad.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I guess I don't worry about carrying stuff like pencil sharpeners and such as long as I have a cutting tool, knife/ax ......

Do not carry or use dryer lint...too much dog hair,..... but mostly picked up dry materials, gathered on site, with cotton balls/PJ as back up.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

[QUOTE=hunter63;428195]

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

That looks like atlatl darts in your pic, mind if I ask about that event?

I see that the pic you referenced (same pic) as I posted isn't coming thru...again.
    But anyway I think what you are seeing pictured, is a tripod with the "weather rock" hanging....long story....and a couple of walking sticks here and there.

There are some several "Chunky sticks " Native American game...although I can't see them in this photo.

Event is The Pike River Rendezvous held in Kenosha WI, every summer late July.....sorta or a re-enactment of several time periods, French 'Indian War, Revolutionary War, Fur Trade/Mountain men, and most anything in between.

I was looking at the two sticks on the left hand side, leaning on a table.

Either way it looks like a fun and relaxing event

Sorry for the thread jack

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post

No worries......I was picturing a type of fire...in the buried kettle, ....as many places will not allow a "fire" out side of prepared locations...
    This make many "types" of fire set up's not allowed.

As in, "But sir, this is a Swedish torch survival fire....."
    Sir says, "I don't care what you call it , not in my park...put it out Buddy...you don't need to survive here, it's summer, and the hot dog stand is right over there if you are hungry...."

Those are the "chunky sticks" that I/We demonstrate at the event.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chunkey

And yeah, fun and can be relaxing.......doing the outside living thing for weeks at a time....playing with fire, tents, guns, leather, wood, and history....What's not to like.
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-28-2014 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post

Those are the sticks his wife uses to beat him with!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Those are the sticks his wife uses to beat him with!
    Shussssh....don't spread it around.

Fixed the pic....for now.

Thanks for the fix Rick and also I agree with you guys. I don't carry around anything that would produce kindling ... except my knife of course! But as for the style of fire, I like building it underground (referring to the post made by Randy) because of the consealed flames (for the most part) and you can create amazing coals that will work in the morning. If you do make a fire that is in a pit or something make sure to cover it up when you leave, no need for another camper to break their ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil K View Post
    I prefer a nice Log Cabin with stones surrounding it, or maybe digging a small hole to build it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I've dug a depression before when I was trying to contain the coals or keep the fire from spreading. Especially if the surrounding ground cover was dry.
    Speaking of being responsible with a fire, this was in shouting distance to my home. In fact, the aerial video shows one street over from mine.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local...-county/nfMdc/

Containment is important. Had conditions been a little different, things could have been a lot worse than they already are.

Here's a few but not really kindling.Milkweed Pods,the dry brown looking ones,break them open and there's a lot of fluff inside of them,look for rotted trees plenty of material there for a quick kindling and most will spark right up,any dried up weed stalks will work,hand sanitizer will get you a flame going but be careful the flame is clear,9 volt battery and some steel wool will ignite also,while were on the subject of fire,take a wooden match,wrap the match up to the head with toilet paper and melt wax on to the paper,it'll burn twice as long.Fire pits,mostly just clear all debris from site and make a stone barrier around it or dig a pit,I try and keep the fire close as possible to my shelter to reflect the heat inwards to where I sleep.
    "Failing to plan is Planning to fail"

Quote Originally Posted by Lil K View Post
    I was wondering what creative ways you guys have to create kindling to start a fire with. Of course there are twigs...grass..."fuzz" or cotton, but what other ways do you have?

One thing that I heard about, and tried, was a pencil sharpener. Just find the right-sized stick to fit in the sharpener and twist it all up until you have thin, dry shavings to use.

Also, what kind of fire do you like making? A log cabin, a tipi? Or maybe it's more of a HUGE crazy stack of logs for you pyromaniacs!

Post what you like to do and how you like to make your fires down below.

A style I like a lot is called the lean-to fire. To build it, first, get a piece of larger firewood and lay it towards the rear of your firepit, with one long side facing you. Gather a sizeable pile of thin pieces of kindling, dead briars, dead leaves, or pine needles and set them aside. I like to shave a cupped-hand's worth of fatwood shavings and pile them against the center of the log. Do this with whatever tinder you plan to use, with however much of it you think is good. Light your tinder and when it's burning hot enough, sprinkle the pile of kindling on top of the flames, allowing it to sit on the log at an angle, in a "lean-to" style. From there, you're about set! Try it sometime, I hope you find it as useful as I do!

I agree zack.

A big log at the back. Thats the 'common sense' style of fire that always works.