Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A funny gross question about hunting and smell

Default A funny gross question about hunting and smell

When hunting, especially coyote, the biggest give away is human and or other non natural smells such as cigarette smoke. A lot of people like the Indians would smoke themselves on a campfire.

So I was thinking. What if you had the smell of a small prey it's on yours clothes. Wouldn't it not only not make them run but perhaps draw them in closer? I was watching my ferret weasel his way in and out of an old pair of pants and thought hey I wonder if a coyote would take that sme as a tasty snack. I m is its kind of gross and funny but do you think it would help, hurt, do nothing? Not saying I want to do this as I don't care enough about getting a coyote to walk around in ferret grease but I'm curious if the idea could work?

I really think that a lot of the "scents" being processed and sold to mask human scent, or attract certain animals are more for peoples money than animals.

I do know that female fox urine spilled in the back of a pick-up.(not by me) stinks for years on hot days.

Yeah, I know dogs like to rub in dead and melted stuff....I would guess that is a reason or for them, instinct?

As far as standing in the smoke of a campfire goes...fire means danger....so why would that work to attract of mask your scent?

Old guide friend used to "smoke" himself in vehicle exhaust....reason is that cars and trucks go by all the time.
    Did it work?...don't know....no real good test that I can think of.

Hunted both ways, with scent and with out scent.....didn't seem to make much difference.
    Location, trails, animal activity, and type of game.... as well as ....time of day, weather, wind direction feeding, traveling, mating in season......and even curiosity plays a big part as well.
    "Hum, what's that smell....let's go check it out....."
    Then there is DAL.... Dumb az luck......Or how would you explain the guy smoking a big stogy killing the biggest deer?

I do fine and don't use any scents other than leaving clothing in the garage or shed, so it is "outside"..........Would I do better if I did?....Don't know.

Maybe make your self a test decoy of scented material....and try it.
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-27-2014 at 12:56 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I can smell a cigarette a mile away I can only imagine a deer. Maybe they got lucky and were downwind? I thought the same thing about fire smoke. The books I read it in said it was the most natural and common smell in nature

I would think that coyote would think, (sniff, sniff).."Odd. That smells like a human wearing ferret scent. We emit pheromones constantly whether we are covered in smoke or cod liver oil. While our nose isn't sensitive enough to discern the subtle differences (Dude, you smell like cod liver oil!) I'm sure the coyote can. I'm with Hunter. I think the scents cover up the fact they are taking our money.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Very good point Rick. Without a doubt i'd imagine they can still smell us. Just now they smell a greasy human covered in ferret oil haha.

A deer scrape.....the scrape in the dirt on the ground, made with a deer's feet, that the deer pees down his legs over the scent glands http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scent_gland so as to leave his scent....
    Now I have been told that if you pee in that scrape, he will think there is a competing buck in the area....throwing caution to the wind and come out in the open.

Don't know if that's true of not....but still I don't see where that would be much of an advantage.

This has to do with mating, so rubbing another animals scent on you unless there was a reason ?.......other than masking your scent.
    I guess I don't see the point......

Then again I don't know if I would rub bacon grease on my clothes in bear country

Depends I guess on if you were hunting bear.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Depends I guess on if you were hunting bear.
    True Dat............

I've peed down my leg before but it usually involved alcohol. Maybe I should have told the cops I was marking territory. Hang on (writing self a note).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

...getting back to the OP.......Maybe try putting a rabbit in a blender.....then rubbing in on you?

Baiting animals does work.......so maybe just leave it over there...and sit over here?

There is a scent you can buy to bath in that smells like dirt, and boy does it smell like dirt! When I use to deer hunt I would wash all of my hunting clothes in plain hot water if they had to be washed and mostly just kept them hanging on the clothes line all through deer season when I wasn't wearing them. And I would bath using the earth scent soap. How much it helped I dont really know but I seemed to be getting closer to the deer after i started doing it.
    Last edited by Wildthang; 03-28-2014 at 11:01 AM.

There is a scent you can buy to bath in that smells like dirt, and boy does it smell like dirt! When I use to deer hunt I would wash all of my hunting clothes in plain hot water if they had to be washed and mostly just kept them hanging on the clothes line all through deer season when I wasn't wearing them. And I would bath using the earth scent soap. How much it helped I dont really know but I seemed to be getting closer to the deer after i started doing it. I think dirt is the most common smell there is!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    There is a scent you can buy to bath in that smells like dirt, and boy does it smell like dirt! ............
    LOL, tried some. DW says ...Outside with that!....smell like dirt!"....so I guess it works.
    BTW dirt smells like dirt......think swamp mud.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    Maybe try putting a rabbit in a blender.

It would be my luck it would be a fast rabbit and he could keep up with the blender.

Yeah...well there is a story about the rabbit in a blender.....
    Was in K-market....waiting in line, older lady in front, young girl behind the counter....and a biker looking guy behind me, leathers, boots, leather hat, mirror sunglasses....and was carrying like 4 pieces of small white plastic fence......

I guess I looked at him kinda funny, so he says....."Ah, need this to keep rabbits out of my garden..."
    Told him that the fence wouldn't do much good and suggested a wire fence, burying the edge and so forth.

So as I was going into my gardening expertise...seems the other people were listening in.
    All went well,... till I suggested that he catch a rabbit, put in the blender, blend him up mix with some dish soap and sprinkle around the garden.

You should have heard the jaws drop,.... followed by a chorus of.... "That's disgusting"!...and some light retching.....
    So I paid for my stuff and left.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

In my area we have deer in the driveways, deer on the roads, deer in the gardens and lawns, deer eating shrubs and flowers on the back porch and grazing in the back yard while the home owner sits on the porch rail smoking a stogie.

One night they cross my yard on the right and the next night they cross on the left so I am pretty certain that they don't care what you smell like and shooting one is simply a matter of being on the proper side of the house on the proper night.

Last year I had a problem with the timing and wound up having to sit on the back porch so I could see both directions. But opening the screen door does spook them so I wound up having to replace the screen after season was over due to all the 30 caliber holes.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I'll bet you even have a hook over the bathtub so you don't get blood on the floor when dressing them out. You, sir, are a man of class. Of course, if you're like me the class was 1874. (shrug)

Play the wind and I don't think your scent will matter that much. I don't smoke but an old guy I hunt with is a life long heavy smoker. Wind direction plays a heavy role in where and how he hunts. He always smells of cigarette smoke and I know he smokes while hunting. But he's shot a pile of nice bucks in his day. I was helping him drag a monster 12 pointer out of a swamp a couple of years ago and he was telling me the story of how he shot the deer. He dropped it at just under 40 yards and the last words in his story were, "so I put down my cigarette and shot him".

Quote Originally Posted by blackfinger View Post
    Play the wind and I don't think your scent will matter that much. I don't smoke but an old guy I hunt with is a life long heavy smoker. Wind direction plays a heavy role in where and how he hunts. He always smells of cigarette smoke and I know he smokes while hunting. But he's shot a pile of nice bucks in his day. I was helping him drag a monster 12 pointer out of a swamp a couple of years ago and he was telling me the story of how he shot the deer. He dropped it at just under 40 yards and the last words in his story were, "so I put down my cigarette and shot him".
    LOL, was sitting on a stump....writing in my note book one morning, about 9-ish.....(I could go out to my coat and open the note book for the exact day, I guess, never mind).....anyway.

Was having a coffee....and a smoke, coffee cup on my knee, writing, with rifle across my lap......looked up and a big doe topped the rise about 10 ft away.....dropped the smoke and the pen...picked up the rifle and shot her.....Coffee spilled.
    Smoke still going, so picked it up, took a drag...and wrote...."Got a doe, gotta go...."

Haven't had any smokes since last December 11.......so I guess we will have to try hunting and not smoking.....

I only hunt small games...in my younger days, I used to smoke myself with smoke from a fire of leaves, then used to rub my body with mud or dirt.. realized no particular impact. I smoke...still no impact. I still get my kill as usual. I found that being down wind is the best.
    When it comes to jungle fowls, I record the sound of female hen clucking, using one of my old phones stuffed in a decoy hen. ...brought the males as close as 15 feet...which is an easy shot with my bow.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!