Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A funny gross question about hunting and smell

Tokwan I think small game is a completely different ball game. I've never even thought about carin about smell for that.

Yep..that's because the big games here can kill you (Tigers, Leopards, Seladang and elephants).. we treat others as small games. Deers are very receptive of smell.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Seems everyone did just fine hunting without all the soaps, scents and "scent-blocking" clothing they sell these days.

It's like walking through the fishing lure department at Bass Pro and realizing all those hundreds of thousands of lures don't catch fish, they catch fishermen (or rather, their cash.)

It's all for the "modern" hunter. I met a lot of "modern" hunters in the Hunter's Ed class I had to take. Young guys into the latest tacti-cool crap couldn't wait to get into their Underarmor this or that to go hunting. Most of the instructors were cool dudes. If you stayed and ate lunch with them during class instead of going out for pizza, you learned more about down-wind and doubling back and tracking and tree stands, and who cares about scent.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post

As far as standing in the smoke of a campfire goes...fire means danger....so why would that work to attract of mask your scent?
    I've watched deer and elk feeding within 25 yards of a controlled burn, they could see the flames and smell the smoke but it didnt phase them on bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    I've watched deer and elk feeding within 25 yards of a controlled burn, they could see the flames and smell the smoke but it didnt phase them on bit.
    So have I....still isn't logical,..... but then again we are trying to apply human thinking on an animal that comes by what they do naturally.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Seems everyone did just fine hunting without all the soaps, scents and "scent-blocking" clothing they sell these days.

It's like walking through the fishing lure department at Bass Pro and realizing all those hundreds of thousands of lures don't catch fish, they catch fishermen (or rather, their cash.)

It's all for the "modern" hunter. I met a lot of "modern" hunters in the Hunter's Ed class I had to take. Young guys into the latest tacti-cool crap couldn't wait to get into their Underarmor this or that to go hunting. Most of the instructors were cool dudes. If you stayed and ate lunch with them during class instead of going out for pizza, you learned more about down-wind and doubling back and tracking and tree stands, and who cares about scent.
    Yep, downwind and back tracking really works. I only wear loose clothing as I live in a very humid area. No need for heavy jackets etc. Malaysia (where I live) has a very strict gun control. I am considered one of the few lucky ones to own a rifle and a handgun being an Anschutz 1700D Custom .22 rifle single action and a Colt.45.
    I would either do bow hunting or with the .22
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

On our annual deer hunt we live in the woods and take canteen baths. We don't use soap just water and we do hang our clothes on a rope or tree limb before climbing in our sleeping bags. One of the fellows uses fox scent on the bottoms of his rubber bottomed boots. Half of us shoot from ground blinds, the other half from tree stands. The tree standers usually shoot more deer. I think that their scent is higher off the ground and of course better visibility.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    Yep..that's because the big games here can kill you (Tigers, Leopards, Seladang and elephants).. we treat others as small games. Deers are very receptive of smell.
    Holy crap.

Seladang.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Hahaha, that's awesome.

How many elephants still roam that area? I'm not sure what worries me more, brown and black bear or tigers and leopards. That seladang is a camp destroyer. I would have to build little walls to keep it away.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

All wild animals in Malaysia are listed under the protected animals, but we do have poachers who killed then illegally...Tigers an leopards ambush their prey....usually from behind.

U can't keep little walls...u gotta be above the ground..and I mean, really above...hehe...but fire around the camp is good enough...the places that I go are relatively safe.

By the way, water buffaloes are actually a family member of seladang too..even domesticated, can be a threat sometimes.

And we still have quite a number of Asian Elephants roaming.

If it were that simple, then you could just bring a bag with a chunk of deer skin in it, or coyote skin, or CHEESEBURGERS, and let the odor catch in the wind and find its way into your prey's nose. There'd be no need to bath yourself in it per se. You don't want your own unique human odors to overpower other masking scents, so its still important to reduce things like fragrances, body odor, etc.
    ~~Combat is the least important skill a ninja can posses.~~

Quote Originally Posted by ninjasurvivor View Post
    If it were that simple, then you could just bring a bag with a chunk of deer skin in it, or coyote skin, or CHEESEBURGERS, and let the odor catch in the wind and find its way into your prey's nose. There'd be no need to bath yourself in it per se. You don't want your own unique human odors to overpower other masking scents, so its still important to reduce things like fragrances, body odor, etc.
    "Female in heat fox urine" works every time....and will last for years after some Dumas spilled it in the back of my truck...especially on a hot day.......Just need to watch out for those horny foxes.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    "Female in heat fox urine" works every time....and will last for years after some Dumas spilled it in the back of my truck...especially on a hot day.......Just need to watch out for those horny foxes.
    Geeze, that's what we were looking for many, many years ago. If we only knew it was that easy.................
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel