Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Like A Shotgun?

Default Do You Like A Shotgun?

For self defense and general all around use? Go here and see what you can do with one, courtesy of Hickok 45. He puts a Winchester 1200 through its paces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiCssNFYIAc

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I love shot guns, and prefer them to all else for self defense....against any animal.....4 or 2 legged.

Not a big fan of the Win 1200, stock doesn't fit me at all.....I'm more of a Rem 870 or second choice Mossberg 500/clones, man....then all others.

Like single shots as well, but don't buy into the short barrel 18-1/2" that seem to be super popular these days.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I'm with Hunter, except a do have an 18.5" barrel on the HD 870.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I like my old JC Higgins 12 ga model 20 pump with 28 inch full choke barrel - throws slugs and shot with superb accuracy ! Couldn't even begin to estimate how many rabbits and squirrels it bagged, plus about a half dozen whitetailed deer. And I wouldn't hesitaate grabbing it for home defense !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    I like my old JC Higgins 12 ga model 20 pump with 28 inch full choke barrel - throws slugs and shot with superb accuracy ! Couldn't even begin to estimate how many rabbits and squirrels it bagged, plus about a half dozen whitetailed deer. And I wouldn't hesitaate grabbing it for home defense !
    The Model 20 was produced by High Standard Arms.

I used to have a list the went year by year, as Sears contracted and bid for their J.C.Higgins brand.
    Can't find it right now, but it just shows you that many of these were good durable firearms that were used for many years.

Just about every manufacture had some models sold by them.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Never shot the 1200, but I am a fan of shotguns.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I've got a 1200. Bought it from a guy who won it in a raffle. Paid $75. Back in 73-74. Shot a gobbler with it that year. It has a full choke 30 inch barrel. I've had the mossy 500 and still have an 870. I like the 1200. It's smooth and doesn't fall apart when cleaning.

I have Winchester 1400, Mossberg 590, Mossberg 500, and a Franchi Affinity all in 12 guage. Actually one of the barrels off of the 1400 say Ranger 140. So it may be the model they sold in woolworth and sears. But, that gun has been my go to hunting shotgun for decades. Never hiccupped til last year. Then after a failure to feed I bought the Franchi. I 'll rotate the Winchester back to a guest gun.

The Mossberg are home defense weapons.

I like a shotgun. I have single shot, pumps and autos. Started out on an old single shot Deer Slayer Nitro Hunter 12 gauge. Still have it. As a kid it sat me down a time or two. For defense I'm sort of a dance with who you brung kinda guy. I don't hold with the concept that the bad guy hearing you rack a round into a shotgun at 2:00 a.m. will scare him. I hold with the concept that the bad guy doesn't need to know I'm waiting for him, where I am and the 14 rounds that could be coming his way will be a heck of a surprise. But I'm funny like that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    The Model 20 was produced by High Standard Arms.

I used to have a list the went year by year, as Sears contracted and bid for their J.C.Higgins brand.
    Can't find it right now, but it just shows you that many of these were good durable firearms that were used for many years.

Just about every manufacture had some models sold by them.
    Yeah, they are good durable guns ! If you compare it to some of the modern stuff you'll see why. A lot of the modern stuff has stamped steel and plastic parts but all of the parts in my old JC Higgins is machined out of solid steel. I've owned it for around 37 years now and I bought it used.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Rick, you are funny. But I agree with you.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

My go to home defense gun is a 20 ga semi auto with a pistol grip stock and a lazer sight. Now before everyone jumps on my choice of a 20 ga and a semi auto, let me explain my choice. I can no longer raise a gun to my shoulder because both rotator cuffs are destroyed. Hence I will be firing from a half mount or from the hip and a 20 ga is easier to control and with the lazer is easy to aim. I also do not have good arm strength to pump a slide action. At across a room or down a hall distance, a load of 20 ga number 4 buckshot will do the job just fine. I do have handguns but I like the slightly bigger pattern the shotgun gives me. It also shoots slugs well.

OldP, no need to jump on you. Everyone has different skills, abilities and limitations. If works for you, good!

A .22 is better than nothing I always say.

Yeah, but who's gonna clean up that mess and patch all those holes. Yuck.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yeah, but who's gonna clean up that mess and patch all those holes. Yuck.
    Yes, either 12 or 20 is going to leave a substantial smear to clean up.

I can hear my dear late wife's voice right now: "Couldn't you have done this outside?"
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I love my M500. I like the 18.5" barrel. Compact. Powerful. Have used it for skeet. Last weekend I even hit a couple one handed messing around.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I grew up shooting my dads old Stevens 12 ga. double barrel, and to this day I love double barrel shotguns. They have character that no pump or semiauto could ever dream of, but for self defense a pump would be better. The only shotguns I have now is the old Stevens double barrel and a new Remington 1100 Semi both in 12ga. I think my next shotgun will be a .410 / .22 combo rifle!

I have the Springfield m6 scout over under .410/.22 and love it.

I would like to have a double barrel. Just the coin has always dictated something else.

My Dad has a black powder double barrel shot gun. A long time a go our hunting freind owned the gun range and my dad had a key. He put that shotgun in the ed's brand new gun vice and ran a string out the range door to pull the trigger on doubled up loads in each barrel.

Broke Ed's new vice. Cool looking gun though.

I've always had a Rem 870. Awesome shotgun, very versatile! It can be used for big and small game, target/hobby shooting, and HD.