Thread: New Idea on Homemeade Survival Tool

Default New Idea on Homemeade Survival Tool

I work in a shop where we fabricate a good bit of our own stuff. I was cutting some 1/4" aluminum plate for a deck to install. And I had some scrap left over. One piece was shaped like a meat clever. And I got an idea. I grinded the edges round, and grinded an edge on it and with a hand file I got the edge pretty sharp. I found that this tool is super light, can be used as a signaling devise like a mirror, can be used to direct sunlight into a tinder bundle to start fire, can be used to cook food on and as it primary use, a cutting tool. As it is 1/4 thick it's pretty strong but don't expect to be cutting tress but will work great to clean fish, small game and cut down edible plants. I plan on drilling some holes in it and weave some 550 cord for extra uses. What do y'all think? Anything y'all can add?

Place to attach a handle?
    Pic's would help.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

bevel the edge instead and drill, tap and countersink some holes along the it to attach a steel blade. I bet power planer blades would do nicely.
    Last edited by canid; 03-22-2014 at 06:39 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

There's a reason they don't make cutting tools from aluminum. It's just too soft even when hardened.
    Have you actually started a fire with it? Unless it has a curved surface I wouldn't think it can focus the sun to a point. And it isn't reflective enough to start a fire like a mirror. I could see it working for signalling but not fire.

It's very creative. But if you have the equipment to form it or extrude it I would suggest making a lightweight, seamless hobo stove or something like that. It could last a lifetime.

for the heavy-duty hobo stove idea, you could probably ring roll it, add a bottom piece and braze it together. no need to muck with extrusion.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Without a polished convex highly reflective surface to focus the reflected light, No fire.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

I dont know about Aluminum as a cutting/chopping tool. Not sure how that would hold up, but maybe as a lightweight shovel head????
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    for the heavy-duty hobo stove idea, you could probably ring roll it, add a bottom piece and braze it together. no need to muck with extrusion.
    It doesn't really need to be heavy duty. It can be extruded as thin as a coffee can. The idea is seamless. Every joint or weld will eventually fail, especially when exposed to extreme heat, cold from winter, acid from the ashes, moisture, etc. Seamless can last many lifetimes.

Seamless or stainless?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Seamless aluminum. So I guess both.

Quote Originally Posted by aktrekker View Post
    It doesn't really need to be heavy duty. It can be extruded as thin as a coffee can. The idea is seamless. Every joint or weld will eventually fail, especially when exposed to extreme heat, cold from winter, acid from the ashes, moisture, etc. Seamless can last many lifetimes.
    I have a buddy that has an aluminum stove in his shop,( he is a custom aluminum fabricator) he built an aluminum stove around 1998 and it has had no issues with the welds, and seems to have many more years left in it.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

This is 1/4 inch so it's pretty tough. It's brights already and if I polish one side it may shine hot enough to create a fire. But signaling will be easily done. I sharpened a blade to it and it's very shape but with it being aluminum I know I won't be cutting down trees. But for cleaning game and cutting fabric should do well. I know it'll do well as a cooking surface, the cheap aluminum mess kits are about 1/16 and they do just fine over a camp fire. It's purpose is to be a secondary multi use item. Pictures will come when I have completed it.

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    I dont know about Aluminum as a cutting/chopping tool. Not sure how that would hold up, but maybe as a lightweight shovel head????
    A shovel head??? That's a good idea. Didn't think of that. I know I won't be build cabins with this thing. But it's sharp enough for cleaning game and can be sharpened easily with a hand file.

I say you should prove us all wrong. Make a fire with it by reflecting sunlight. Clean game with it. Tell us how it turned out.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

If you can't make a fire with a mirror you cant do it with a piece of polished any thing.

At best the polished surface would be a good signal device.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.