Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: chest conjestion

Wild Cherry bark has been used for a lot of cough syrups back in the 40's and 50's, which makes me wonder if there would be a way to process it in the wilderness and use it as an expectorant for congestion!

mint, eucalyptus, or anything else with menthol in it can help with coughing. Maybe someone has a wilderness survival recipe for vick's vaporub (essentially just a paste that has a high concentration of menthol) that could be made with a knife, a pot, some water, the proper herbs, maybe some squirrel fat, and a fire?
    ~ Stercus Accidit ~
    (Latin for "S*** Happens")

Quote Originally Posted by towelie View Post
    mint, eucalyptus, or anything else with menthol in it can help with coughing. Maybe someone has a wilderness survival recipe for vick's vaporub (essentially just a paste that has a high concentration of menthol) that could be made with a knife, a pot, some water, the proper herbs, maybe some squirrel fat, and a fire?
    My doctor told me to stay away from the menthol and eucalyptus, said it can cause more harm than good, said it opens up the passages too much which can lead to more mucus which breeds more bacteria. I was using Hall's cough drops and he said just get some mint candy instead to coat the throat to help curb coughing, so I tried it and it does work. I guess the main thing is to use something that leaves a coating so the throat doesn't feel so dry. So, whenever I get a cold, I buy a big bag of Starlight mints and use those and it seems that I get over the cold quicker too as compared to using the menthol and eucalyptus. Maybe the menthol and eucalyptus was making the colds last longer - makes sense, if you stay sick longer, the companies that make them sells more product !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Seriously? You think Halls intentionally uses a product that increases illness for profit?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Seriously? You think Halls intentionally uses a product that increases illness for profit?
    Well, don't know for sure and thats just a theory of mine after the doc telling me that the compounds used in them can prolong and increase symptoms. I googled menthol overdose and it mentions shallow and rapid breathing, blood in urine or no urine output, rapid heartbeat, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, dizziness, convulsions, and unconsiousness. Hmmm ? Google eucalyptus overdose and it lists mainly the same sypmtoms. But menthol is naturally found in things like peppermint - go figure ?
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

I can say I have never heard of an overdose of Halls Cough drops.....but then again you can overdose on tap water......

All I know, is that the DR's and nurses wanted me to cough, after surgery.... it seems every chance they got.....so I don't think it's so bad.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Did you check to see how much you have to ingest to overdose? If taken according to directions the chances of overdose are...mmm...pretty nil. And mucus doesn't lead to bacteria. In fact, mucus contains antiseptic enzymes your body produces in an effort to rid itself of the virus or bacteria or even irritants like ragweed. It can trap bacteria or viruses and help rid the body of same because you expel the mucus and any bacteria it has trapped. But it doesn't breed or lead to bacteria. It's secreted by mucus cells found throughout the body. In fact, if you didn't produce mucus the bacteria would still be there you'd just have a harder time expelling it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I used to get terrible colds and bronchitis, since I've quit smoking I've had better luck My recipe is a couple shots whiskey and a slug of Nyquil. It ain't natural and I don't know if it'll help with congestion but you'll get a decent sleep.

You do know Nyquil contains alcohol. So you are adding more alcohol to that you've already consumed. Also, you need to be aware that acetaminophen (Tylenol) is NOT recommended when taking Nyquil since the product contains acetaminophen, which could lead to overdoase. Check the label since there are a couple of different variations of Nyquil.

Did you check to see how much you have to ingest to overdose? If taken according to directions the chances of overdose are...mmm...pretty nil. And mucus doesn't lead to bacteria. In fact, mucus contains antiseptic enzymes your body produces in an effort to rid itself of the virus or bacteria or even irritants like ragweed. It can trap bacteria or viruses and help rid the body of same because you expel the mucus and any bacteria it has trapped. But it doesn't breed or lead to bacteria. It's secreted by mucus cells found throughout the body. In fact, if you didn't produce mucus the bacteria would still be there you'd just have a harder time expelling it.
    No, I saw no indication as to how much is considered an overdose but I assume that what it means is a continued use over time such as in smoking menthol cigarettes on a daily basis and I know of one person that used to eat Hall's cough drops all the time even when he didn't have a cold but kept a nasty cough all the time. Said he like the way it made his sinuses and throat feel cool when he ate them, but the cough finally went away somewhat when he quit using them everyday. Like someone here said, you can overdose on water. And you are right that mucus can help rid the body of certain bacteria. But when the body is producing too much trying to rid the body of those nasties, the bacteria sometimes wins out and thrives in that warm, wet environment and thats what causes a secondary infection. The immune system can only do so much.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

+1 on that. When I was a kid we used to be bombarded with adverts about how good smoking was for you. When menthol cigarettes came out they were, "soothing to the throat". Recommended by doctors that were paid by the cigarette companies. How easily we bought into the marketing hype.

+1 on that. When I was a kid we used to be bombarded with adverts about how good smoking was for you. When menthol cigarettes came out they were, "soothing to the throat". Recommended by doctors that were paid by the cigarette companies. How easily we bought into the marketing hype.
    I just wonder what the stats are on how many folks have died from marketing hype ? Tobacco companies will never convince me that they do not add substances to the tobacco that causes addiction. As I said earlier, I was once a heavy smoker and I have also raised tobacco on the farm in the past and there is no comparison between store bought and fresh raised tobacco. Fresh raised tobacco is one of the mildest smokes you will ever find to put in a pipe. No bite to it or bitterness at all as compared to any tobacco bought over the counter. But I'm glad that on July 4th, 1980 I gave it all up cold turkey !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

I've been using fenugreek tea for a few years now whenever I feel a chest cold coming on. It's worked great for me. I had walking pneumonia 2 years in a row and for a year or two after my lungs were weakened and it seemed every cold resulted in chest congestion or bronchitis. You can buy the tea bags in some health food stores or bulk fenugreek seeds from a spice company.

Here is one link. Do a search on fenugreek tea and chest congestion or pneumonia.
    http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/T..._Remedies.html
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

This is an old remedy. If you chop up strong white onion and add honey and put it in a double boiler and heat it until the honey and onion are mixed together. Put this on your chest and place plastic wrap and a hot water bottle over it to keep the plaster warm on your chest. It would be good to eat a bit of the honey as it is good for killing germs. Also simmer some eucalyptus so it evaporates to help prevent others from getting sick. Also a mixture of Fenugreek, Thyme and mullein is great as an expectorant.

As a life long asthmatic I have had to deal with this for my entire life and in my experience the only thing that really helps sans expectorants and steroids is a LONG< HOT bath. Keep the steam coming and it WILL help you dislodge that mucus. It will do nothing for the cause however.

Just so you guys know why I came on so strong in this thread, I was informed yesterday that my closest friend, a heavy smoker now has cancer. I've lost count of how many friends and family members I've lost because of it - BUMMER ! Quit smoking or don't ever start, it isn't worth it !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti