Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is it possible to live in the wild without getting caught?

Default Where is it possible to live in the wild without getting caught?

I live in Michigan, and own property in Florida. Where are some places where the likelyhood of getting caught is very slim?

What are the rules for primitively camping on publicly owned land such as nature reserves, and other wildlife areas?

Is it squatting if you even sleep over one night?

And so it begins.....tic toc
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

I'm at the stage in my life, with mine and my wife's health always having us it pain that "bugging out and hiding" is no longer an option. I'm hoping that living "very very rural" and off-grid that just maybe we are not considered a threat and we just might be left alone. Now, come knocking on my door and trying to take us, we will die to defend our freedom. I believe in God and the US Constitution and in that order.
    Off-grid 5 acres outside of Bagdad,AZ. 75 YR. OLD HOUSE 1000 SQ. FT..... 3600 WATTS OF SOLAR & A 15KW perkins generator. Property backed by state trust land (for now anyway). Swamp coolers running on 12 volt. 2 wells. one on 240volt and the second is on solar pump in need of repair. 6,000 gallon water storage that will gravity feed for a week or two if needed.

Best place would be on your own property in Florida. You can squat and go primitive or drag out an old couch and watch the world go by. Don't have to worry about no rules.

I guess it depends on what you are hiding from. If you're on the run from the law just a matter of time.

14 days in state and federal parks in designated camping areas only. 14 days in federal wilderness lands. If they offer wilderness camping then any place within the boundary is generally okay.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool You gotta be kidding me!

(Face-palm!)....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

For some strange reason every time we post an ideal location on this forum. That remote location becomes over crowded. All the people on this forum that have chosen their ideal "lost location" are NOT looking for neighbors.

Sarge, I will not post your location again. Sorry about the new neighbors.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Perhaps we should agree on a single place to respond to these questions. How about.....Eddy, Florida. That's right in the Okefenokee. Then when someone asks, "Where can I get away," and they surely will 'cause the always do. We can say Eddy, Florida. Just take Route 2 south past Sargeant. You can't miss it. Well, I guess you could so if you wind up in Boggy you done went too fer.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The best place to not get caught is your own property. National Forest and BLM have a 14 day limit for one spot.

Siberia is also a great place. Lots of untouched wilderness. Just go out there and hide.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Perhaps we should agree on a single place to respond to these questions. How about.....Eddy, Florida. That's right in the Okefenokee. Then when someone asks, "Where can I get away," and they surely will 'cause the always do. We can say Eddy, Florida. Just take Route 2 south past Sargeant. You can't miss it. Well, I guess you could so if you wind up in Boggy you done went too fer.
    Eddy, Florida.....huh...OK cool with that...got it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I ascribe to the old standard that if one has to ask where to go they do not need to start the car.

In this situation we are faced with a person that lives in Michigan and does not realize that Michigan has more than 4,000,000 acres set aside as wilderness area. 2,000,000 of that is in the upper peninsula, one of the most sparsely populated areas of the lower 48. In fact almost half the upper Peninsula is devoted to wilderness preservation and use.

Neither have they googled the simplest of questions into the park system website or they would know were to get permits and how long they could stay in an area without worrying over "getting caught".

Fact is that in the eastern US if the allocated wilderness land is not strictly controlled by government it would be settled rapidly by squatters. Most of the forested areas east of the Mississippi are reclaimed by the government from private possession for controlled public access.

I have found the policies quite liberal. Liberal enough that last year I managed to spend 20% of the year camping, hunting, fishing and "messing about" inside the state and federal park/forest system.

I love being retired!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

"I came here to ask where I can get away for everyone, live for free...and act like a fugitive"....Oops, Did I say that?

(I wonder how may people everywhere has seen and read this?)

Basically, if you're thinking look-term squat, I don't think anything but Alaska would make it.

go to a big city, no one would notice you there along side the other bums and you can eat out of trash cans or steal from vendors

Best place? On your own property. You could look into securing additional property in remote locations where the land is undisturbed and regulations, oversight, and people are minimal. Remote northern Canada comes to mind. You can buy land up there pretty cheap but I believe you have to limit yourself to living no more than 6 months in Canada unless you are a citizen, although I could very well be wrong about this.
    Of course, in an EOTWAWKI situation if SHTF, then property ownership probably really won't matter anymore.

Have you thought of trying the moon ? Probably as realistic an answer as the question was !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    Have you thought of trying the moon ? Probably as realistic an answer as the question was !
    And if the moon doesn't work you can try Uranus!...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

You don't suppose the bigfoot12 is really the REAL Bigfoot?.....?
    Just coming on here to taunt everyone.....?

Just to prove you can live in the wild with out getting caught?

So when is the "gotcha"?

Where is it possible to live in the wild?
    I would say.....Outside!
    Last edited by deafdave3; 03-13-2014 at 08:13 PM.

Down town Los Angeles , any time of the year.