Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is it possible to live in the wild without getting caught?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by payne View Post
    Basically, if you're thinking look-term squat, I don't think anything but Alaska would make it.
    Nope, no way. Go out in the wilderness and you become very visible as the only person there in a location that no people are supposed to be (for long term). Fish and Game have planes. They also have rangers that do nothing but patrol large empty areas. If you are camping or hiking, they may or may not stop by to check on you, but they know you are there.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Get a sailboat and cast off. Spend all the time you want at sea...nobody will bother you (stay away from Somalia).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Nope, no way. Go out in the wilderness and you become very visible as the only person there in a location that no people are supposed to be (for long term). Fish and Game have planes. They also have rangers that do nothing but patrol large empty areas. If you are camping or hiking, they may or may not stop by to check on you, but they know you are there.
    And don't forget about the high rez satelites that can read a license plate from outer space !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

He'll be safe then if he doesn't carry a license plate around.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I am sure all the high rez satellites are spending all their time looking at vast stretches of wilderness for someone squatting.

I guarantee you that right now, most satellites are looking at Crimea.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Look at it this way,where could I go and not starve? The big cities will always feed you,dumpsters are food factories.If you like chicken,pigeons are abundant and overly easy to snag and stuff in your coat pocket without drawing attention.Go into the country,you will not find much food thrown away if any.All animals are usually wild,snagging a meal is very difficult without drawing attention.Stealing food is an option,but remember us country folk carry guns,know how to shoot them will and will not hesitate to shoot a pumpkin stealer.

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    I am sure all the high rez satellites are spending all their time looking at vast stretches of wilderness for someone squatting.

I guarantee you that right now, most satellites are looking at Crimea.
    You're probably right, but seriously though - if you do plan to live wild, eventually you will be discovered and most likely evicted. I read an article a couple of years back where a man was living that way in a hand dug underground bunker and even had 12 volt lighting and a library of books to read. Poor guy had no criminal record but was told he could no longer live there - what a shame !
    I guess your best bet is to make sure you own the property, but then you have to pay taxes on it.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

I think it would be easy to disappear in Alaska. Many people do it without trying. And many stay missing despite deliberate search efforts. How much easier would it be if they aren't specifically looking for you?
    http://seattletimes.com/html/nationw..._alaska06.html
    http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/missing-alaska

But I understand you don't want people moving to Alaska and occupying your favorite spot.

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    You're probably right, but seriously though - if you do plan to live wild, eventually you will be discovered and most likely evicted. I read an article a couple of years back where a man was living that way in a hand dug underground bunker and even had 12 volt lighting and a library of books to read. Poor guy had no criminal record but was told he could no longer live there - what a shame !
    I guess your best bet is to make sure you own the property, but then you have to pay taxes on it.
    So basically, no matter where I live, I'm not gonna be left alone forever, even if that's what I wanted.

Alaska repealed "squatters rights".

From a previous thread...

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post

After doing some research all 50 States have some sort of law protecting the "squatter" Florida and Alaska have the least amount of time for a squatter to legally take title of the land. Crazy!!!

http://www.peninsulaclarion.com/stor...72931168.shtml
    I know what they do when found in the Interior, they burn the place down with all your gear and food it it.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    So basically, no matter where I live, I'm not gonna be left alone forever, even if that's what I wanted.
    Swamp. Nobody will go looking for you in the swamp.

Yeah, people go missing everywhere. Most of them are probably murdered.
    But the Alaska rate is much higher. And the number that are never found is double the national rate. Only 300 officers and each covers an area the size of Delaware. Of course that includes the far northern area where there are no resources, not a place you'd want to setup camp. But still plenty of land, rough enough country it should be easy to hide.
    There are also people living on public land (and probably private land) in AZ, NM, TX, LA, FL and probably plenty of other places. They don't join forums or post YT videos so you never hear about them.

That second article is from 1994 and they claim they don't use such drastic methods anymore.
    I know, who believes the government?
    That first article was interesting. I've heard of that happening all over the country. It reminds me of the movie Pacific Heights.

Yea they claim that. They just got better about posting it in the newspaper...

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    You don't suppose the bigfoot12 is really the REAL Bigfoot?.....?
    I do suppose that.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    And if the moon doesn't work you can try Uranus!...
    But, there are Klingons around Uranus!

Quote Originally Posted by Power Giant View Post
    But, there are Klingons around Uranus!
    "There's the pitch..got up a little too much folks...the swing, tag that one.....and it's going, going, goooooone....It's otta here!"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I know what they do when found in the Interior, they burn the place down with all your gear and food it it.
    From my discussions with a forest ranger from Canada, up here they usually give a notice to the squatter, and -then- burn it. (Though there are some very rare cases where the cabin was taken over and reused by the government.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot12 View Post
    I live in Michigan, and own property in Florida. Where are some places where the likelyhood of getting caught is very slim?

What are the rules for primitively camping on publicly owned land such as nature reserves, and other wildlife areas?

Is it squatting if you even sleep over one night?
    I've been thinking about this question because it reminds me of the story of Claude Dallas. You may have never heard of him, but in these parts its become folklore. Claude was a self proclaimed mountain man, hunter, and fur trapper. He frequented one of the most unpopulated areas in the lower 48, which some folks call the "American Outback". Its a large section of land that encompasses SW Idaho, E Oregon, and NW Nevada. There is not a whole lot there, to say the least. Claude had a hunting camp there and was hunting and trapping out of season, when a rancher that was running cattle near there met him. The rancher reported Claude to the Fish and Game. What followed was a tragedy, and Claude spent the next 25 years locked up in prison.
    At one time, or another, most of us have dreamed of living free, like Claude did. However, I strongly believe that those times are long over. There are just too many people in the world now, and its only going to get worse (depending on one's point of view.) The responsible thing to do is to own your own place, and just visit the wilderness from time to time. I think it is selfish to squat on land that isn't your's.

You know, reading the OP again it sounds like he's trying to avoid squatting. I think everyone assumed something different. He asked if an overnight would be considered squatting, not a week or a month or forever. He wants to primitive camp without breaking the law.

Responding to exactly what was asked, you shouldn't have a problem in state or national forests. Parks might be alright when open, but only at designated camping sites. Wildlife refuges are hit-and-miss. Some do allow camping, some do not. You would have to check the rules for each one.
    For forests, check out dispersed camping. Some allow this some don't. It allows you to camp off the beaten path basically anywhere.