Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do's and Don'ts - attention young and or inexperienced !

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Don't be afraid of taking a few items of convenience with you, such as TP and a BIC.
    Better be careful when mentioning a Bic, some folks get upset about them !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    LOL........Yeah well......I like road flares.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    LOL........Yeah well......I like road flares.
    That would definitely work ! LOL Seriously though, I saw some mini road flares once that would be handy in a kit ! Hmmmm ?
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

Always tell someone where you are going, and leave them a trip itinerary.
    Leave an imprint of the shoes you will be wearing. This is very simple to do....place a sheet of tin foil on a folded towel and step on it.
    Learn how to use a map and compass and carry both, do not rely on technology(GPS).
    Always carry 2 survival kits, one personal kit and one larger more extensive kit in your pack.
    Practice your skills and learn how to use the items in your kits.
    Put together your own kits, don't rely on what someone else thinks you may need.
    Always carry at minimum 3 different ways to start a fire, and carry tinders that will light easily in inclement weather.
    Carry a metal container so you can collect, store and purify water.
    Carry some type of shelter material, primitive shelters are not survival, they are bushcraft.
    If you get lost, stay put. Don't get more lost or injured.
    Always include a first aid kit and carry it. Include any prescription medicines you may need.
    Carry brightly colored clothing so you contrast with the environment.
    Always carry a whistle to help searchers locate you.
    Last edited by postman; 03-12-2014 at 11:52 PM.

Something I've noticed is that some folks don't pack any type of food.
    A couple MRE's, Cliff bars, trail mix, or whatever your non-perishable preferences are.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Given the "Rule of Threes" in the O.P., it's important to note (IMHO) that the over-riding purpose of "shelter" is to protect one's core body temperature. "Fire" is also important for this same purpose, PLUS it can be used to assure the water you consume is potable (assuming you've filtered out the solids and have a container to boil it in).

Thus:

DO always carry a reliable fire starter/igniter!

DO always carry some kind of reliable knife!

DON'T leave home without them!

One with the Wilderness Rangefinder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    Personally, I detest a Bic---MOST of the time. A good fire steel is better. For that matter, even a good hand with a traditional flint and steel is better, IMHO.

THAT being said, I've found a Bic isn't all bad--IF you have one other item to go with it. A Bic is nothing more than a mini ferro rod with a built in striker to ignite the butane. Here's the kicker--even out of fluid, it sparks unless you get it wet. IF you have char cloth, it ignites it very easily with a one-handed operation. But I'm strange according to most--I have a ferro rod in my wallet, a traditional flint and steel in my winter coat, a UST striker on my belt, and char cloth coming out of my you-know-what...and so on. Being an instructor of this stuff generally means I've got more ways within reach at any given time to make fire than most people have excuses for not having anything, a bit like a mechanic and his tools I guess. But back to the Bic, they have their uses--but there are more efficient, reliable methods for starting fires.
    The most valuable thing to ever invest in is... KNOWLEDGE.

Where I PREFER to be is outside, someplace far away from modern madness. BUT, you can also find some accounts of such disappearances HERE: https://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa
    http://rescueropes.org/

The vast range of people in the world, do not know how to use many of the fire starting tool, and techniques....yet would still benefit on ability to make fire.

So even though the ferro rod, even flint (rock) and steel. (best used with char cloth) lens, fire piston, whatever.....fact is.......You still bring it with you.

So kudos to those that know 20 ways to start fire.....to the other 95% of the population.......Just put a couple of Bic's in your pocket, of every jacket, glove box, tool box........2 as you have a spare........most everyone will be able to get a fire in most conditions.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The vast range of people in the world, do not know how to use many of the fire starting tool, and techniques....yet would still benefit on ability to make fire.

So even though the ferro rod, even flint (rock) and steel. (best used with char cloth) lens, fire piston, whatever.....fact is.......You still bring it with you.

So kudos to those that know 20 ways to start fire.....to the other 95% of the population.......Just put a couple of Bic's in your pocket, of every jacket, glove box, tool box........2 as you have a spare........most everyone will be able to get a fire in most conditions.
    Or just get the spare tire out of the car, let the air out of it, strike the road flare and lay it on the rubber tire.

Good for 24 hours of heat, light and signal smoke.

Works on hay bales too. But that's another story, best related around the next jamboree campfire.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Don't just practice in your back yard, and/or just in good weather. Do some car camping, and practice where you have some ready back-up with you.
    You can practice all summer long, then get yourself in a real bind during hunting season in the fall. Weather changes and tactics need to change with it.
    If you must have a store bought survival kit, buy a few. This way you can actually use the stuff in it, and see if it will really work for you. An I say a few, so you can try them in a few situations (types of weather). I have found one kit that works fairly well off the shelf for me. With a few small modifications/additions. And it is fairly cheap. Not as good as a kit that I can put together myself, but good enough (and cheap enough) to throw in the pocket of almost every jacket I own.

Also, you got to have a way to make coffee to survive. That way, a survival outing becomes just an unexpected camping trip.
    Last edited by aflineman; 03-16-2014 at 02:14 AM.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Quote Originally Posted by aflineman View Post
    Don't just practice in your back yard, and/or just in good weather. Do some car camping, and practice where you have some ready back-up with you.
    You can practice all summer long, then get yourself in a real bind during hunting season in the fall. Weather changes and tactics need to change with it.
    If you must have a store bought survival kit, buy a few. This way you can actually use the stuff in it, and see if it will really work for you. An I say a few, so you can try them in a few situations (types of weather). I have found one kit that works fairly well off the shelf for me. With a few small modifications/additions. And it is fairly cheap. Not as good as a kit that I can put together myself, but good enough (and cheap enough) to throw in the pocket of almost every jacket I own.

Also, you got to have a way to make coffee to survive. That way, a survival outing becomes just an unexpected camping trip.
    This statement has much wisdom.
    Sometimes I cringe when I hear the term BOB, or GHB, of GOOD bag......as in "The Bag".....Is that all you have?

Think,..... Many, Lots, everywhere, JIC....(that's why I like Bic's....5 for a buck at the dollar store, no reason not to have one (or two)with in reach.

Y'all know that Murphy follows you always, waiting to the let down in your vigilance........."I just going to the store, I don't need all that stuff.
    Or "the survival knife looks weird in church....maybe leave it home".

Think back to the last time you said to your self....I wish I had my....whatever.

Have lots of assets, deploy them where ever they may be a chance they are needed....Try them out, discard stuff that doesn't work.

Prepping is a mind-set, not "a bag".

Second the coffee, love the store bought singles......

+1 on Folger's singles. Never leave home without them.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Main reason I started putting kits in all my jackets, is I noticed I was heading out for walks more and more. Especially during lunch at work, or after work (one of the side benefits of working where I do). I always let someone know where I am headed, but spur of the moment can get me in trouble even easier than a planned outing would. Easier to have a tested kit in each jacket, than needing to hunt one up from the car, workbench, or trailer.

I have also found that texting a couple of folks where I am headed works better than just telling them. Helps them to remember where I went "this time". At home, I text my Wife, hunting partner (unless he goes with me), and I write it on the white board at the house. Also, I sometimes bookmark the page in the topo map book for my wife. Normally with a sticky with an arrow to the spot I plan on starting my walk/hunt from (I normally only go this far if it is an area she is not familiar with, and/or has not been to before.
    Last edited by aflineman; 03-16-2014 at 04:17 PM.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

If everyone did that there would probably be a lot less SAR missions. Gave you a bit of rep for that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangefinder View Post
    Personally, I detest a Bic---MOST of the time. A good fire steel is better. For that matter, even a good hand with a traditional flint and steel is better, IMHO.

THAT being said, I've found a Bic isn't all bad--IF you have one other item to go with it. A Bic is nothing more than a mini ferro rod with a built in striker to ignite the butane. Here's the kicker--even out of fluid, it sparks unless you get it wet. IF you have char cloth, it ignites it very easily with a one-handed operation. But I'm strange according to most--I have a ferro rod in my wallet, a traditional flint and steel in my winter coat, a UST striker on my belt, and char cloth coming out of my you-know-what...and so on. Being an instructor of this stuff generally means I've got more ways within reach at any given time to make fire than most people have excuses for not having anything, a bit like a mechanic and his tools I guess. But back to the Bic, they have their uses--but there are more efficient, reliable methods for starting fires.
    I too carry ferro rods, mag bars, bearing block made of deer antler for the made on the spot bow drill with paracord for the string, vaseline soaked cotton balls, fatwood, flint and steel & char cloth, but I ALWAYS have several "BICs" in my kits in various places - even have one in my lunch box I take to work with me every day. One of the guys I work with noticed it in my lunchbox one time and asked me why since I'm not a smoker. I asked him if he ever hunted and he said he did but he too is a non smoker. So I asked hem if he had ever got lost in the woods and he said one time he did and took him several hours to find his way out. So I asked him if he got cold while he was out there and he said he did. So I asked him what if you had to spend the night, could he start a fire without a lighter or matches. Then he said, ok - you don't need to say anymore ! Right now, there is no fewer than 3 of the guys now that are interested in this survival/bushcraft/woodcraft stuff and one of them is always stopping by for little tidbits of information. Just the other day he showed me his new pack with a ton of gear in it, so I asked him if he knew what to do with that stuff. He said no, but thanks to you I'm learning.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

I have heard many people "pooh pooh" bic type lighters with the attitude that "real men" don't carry lighters. I consider myself a very accomplished outdoorsman and "survivalist". i am also a wilderness survival instructor via youtube videos. i always carry a zippo as well as a bic lighter. piece of steel for striking found rocks. and ferro rod. The macho attitude really bothers me when it comes to wilderness survival. That kind of attitude is exactly what can get folks in trouble. Someday I plan to do a video where I use a flame throwing weed burner to light my fire. The point I will be making is, dont go into the woods unprepared. If you are the type that cant light a fire without a propane weed burner, then by all means DO take a weed burner with you when you go into the woods and dont worry about what someone else will say about your manhood. I also HIGHLY recomend that you work on your skills to get to where you dont need the weed burner anymore but if you need it now, then take it. BTW I can and do light fires by striking rock on rock to catch natural materials on fire as well as bow and drill, flint and steel, ferro rod etc. but I still carry lighters and use them.
    Last edited by phreshayr; 03-17-2014 at 12:10 PM.

Good post, and I agree.....sometimes a fine line between macho and dead.......

Was at a Rondy, practicing my flint (rock) and steel fire making for a up coming contest.

Fresh batch of char cloth and couldn't get a spark to catch (plenty of sparks).....stopped to take a break....took out a smoke lit it with the Bic lighter, I carry in a leather pouch around my neck.

Young boy had been watching me all this time...and said "Hey Mister why don't you just use that lighter?"

Wisdom sometimes come in small packages.

Well you can almost not ever have enough ways to start a fire, and in my opinion, the fastest way is the best way. I can't imagine wasting daylight trying to start a fire with a bow drill when a Bic can get a fire going in 2 minutes. I do carry tinder, but one of the best tinders I carry are a few small tea candles. You can get even damp tinder and kindling started with a tea candle by stacking small sticks, leaves, and anything small and not soaking wet around the tea candle, and just let it burn. Since they burn for an hour, it will eventually dry out the kindling and tinder enough to get it started.
    While the candle is getting the fire started you can be working on a shelter, gathering wood, and many other things needed for a good camp. I know tea candles are not considered bushcraft fire building, but they work great when the weather is damp, and they are cheap and very light weight. They can also be used for light, heating foods as well in a pinch. I carry around 8 tea candles in all of my Bobs.

Good post, and I agree.....sometimes a fine line between macho and dead.......

Was at a Rondy, practicing my flint (rock) and steel fire making for a up coming contest.

Fresh batch of char cloth and couldn't get a spark to catch (plenty of sparks).....stopped to take a break....took out a smoke lit it with the Bic lighter, I carry in a leather pouch around my neck.

Young boy had been watching me all this time...and said "Hey Mister why don't you just use that lighter?"

Wisdom sometimes come in small packages.
    No room for macho in the woods! I think some people mistake Macho for skills

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    ............................. I know tea candles are not considered bushcraft fire building, but they work great when the weather is damp, and they are cheap and very light weight. They can also be used for light, heating foods as well in a pinch. I carry around 8 tea candles in all of my Bobs.
    LOL...Don't breaks the RULES of woodsmanship.....LOL