Thread: Potbelly stove repair

Default Potbelly stove repair

Not quite sure where to post this but please don't flame me it's my first post.

I've acquired this nice old potbelly cast iron stove, but it's broke all the way around the bottom about 2-3 inches up the 8" bell.. I'm not even going to try welding the cast iron. I'm looking at drilling about 5-6 pairs of holes around the circumference and add some steel straps and bolts and then hopefully braise the entire broken area. That being said I'd like to find a product to pour or trowel into the bottom to help reinforce the break and stabilize the heat in that area. Maybe even find some useable thin firebrick to shed the heat a strengthen. Any ideas or thoughts. I already have a nice little Osburn wood stove but wouldn't mind using the antique. I'm only heating 1,000 sq ft. THANX......

Sounds like a cool project. I was thinking that a coating of refractory cement on the inside over the repaired area might make it safer to run after repairs.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I would try "furnace cement" it's available at most hardware's in a tub. Brazing is a good way to repair cast. I use the coated rod but also dip it in borax as I'm brazing.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

How thick can the "cement" be applied. I would also add some "fire brick" on top.
    Off-grid 5 acres outside of Bagdad,AZ. 75 YR. OLD HOUSE 1000 SQ. FT..... 3600 WATTS OF SOLAR & A 15KW perkins generator. Property backed by state trust land (for now anyway). Swamp coolers running on 12 volt. 2 wells. one on 240volt and the second is on solar pump in need of repair. 6,000 gallon water storage that will gravity feed for a week or two if needed.

I've applied it a half inch thick. Putting fire brick on top should be no problem.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I used to repair old pot bellys. Use furnace cement or retort cement. Harder than a rock and seals it up real nice. I once had a stove with a 4 inch hole in the cast iron atthe bottom of the burner. Filled it in a ground it to shape with a high speed grinder. The grinder took forever to do the job cause it was so hard.

Would be interesting to see pic's of the fix-in-process.
    Patched a of box stove with flat pieces of steel plate, one on each side of the burned out seam, bolted together.

Never tried brazing anything that big......but the furnace cement is really handy stuff.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Oh so interesting. I too would love to see pictures. I love the stuff I learn on this site!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I'll probably pick the stove up next week when I get over the crud. I will take pictures of the progress and will probably need some advice along the way.
    Off-grid 5 acres outside of Bagdad,AZ. 75 YR. OLD HOUSE 1000 SQ. FT..... 3600 WATTS OF SOLAR & A 15KW perkins generator. Property backed by state trust land (for now anyway). Swamp coolers running on 12 volt. 2 wells. one on 240volt and the second is on solar pump in need of repair. 6,000 gallon water storage that will gravity feed for a week or two if needed.

I have a lot of cast misc repaired with straps and bolts. I have a old cast box wood stove that I repaired with braze rod. I had to make up a missing piece. I use it to smoke deer hides.

Quote Originally Posted by backroad View Post
    I'll probably pick the stove up next week when I get over the crud. I will take pictures of the progress and will probably need some advice along the way.
    Great thanks. Oh hope you get over the crud soon. Around here Blaze Kings are big sellers. I don't know why they are so popular as they are as plain and ugly as all get out, just a square box. Must be their catalytic converters... Once I buy my own place, I will have a cute, pretty, or at least interesting stove one way or another. And that way may end up restoring an old broken one.

001.jpg002.jpg

Got to thinking that I had taken a couple of bad pictures of the potbelly already and also of a cookstove we recently picked up.

OLD STOVE 002.jpg

Cool looking stoves.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

nice stoves!!

Jim Dandies! I like old things getting a new life.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Very cool.....will be watching progress....Thanks for the pic's.

I just hope I'm not in over my head on either. Parts are basically not avalable and I'll have to fabricate anything else needed, which of course doesn't matter all that much since they are to be users and not a restoraton project. the part that concerns me on both the potbelly and the cookstove is adapting parts for the flue and stack.

Oh I love both of them but especially the pot belly. It's gorgeous! Can't wait to see the progress on it. Hope you can fix it to be usable.

I don't know if this is a resource for you or not but thought I'd post it.

http://stovehospital.com/
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

These boys are high buck........but might be a starting point.....