Thread: First Hike: Impressions

Default First Hike: Impressions

Hey everyone! Just thought I'd post an update on my first outing.

If you read my introduction you know I'm a complete newbie in all areas related to outdoorsmen skills, but I've been blessed with a friend and mentor who is going to be helping me gain these skills. I'd been planning to assemble a kit and practice processing water, making fire, and constructing a shelter. Well, what started as a 15-mile hike turned into a 3-mile hike when his girlfriend showed up. Not to disparage her, but she's under the impression that any survival skills are "Man stuff", not human stuff. He's trying to convert her, but in the meantime she put a bit of a damper on our (my) plans for a crash course.

It wasn't a total waste, however, as he decided to just devote the entire time to making fire. We weren't necessarily in the wilderness, but we were in a park out in the country, with some nice trails to make my fat & nasty body sweat like a pig. It felt good to get out there, and even better to learn a bit while I was at it. Before we arrived at the place where we'd be building the fire he showed me plants altogether common to the Ohio valley, and which ones were more viable depending on the season. Good thing I'm a visual learner, as he wasn't exactly up to speed on the names of these plants. Next time, I'll take photos of those too for posterity.

Anyhow, he showed me how to split the stalks of certain thorny brush to expose an almost cottony center. This we grabbed handfuls of alongside dead branches and some tall (hollow) grass that had died with the first hard frost. We also located some trees (I believe birch?) that had bark that was easy to pry off by cutting a small outline. He was careful in instructing me to identify when the bark was older and easier to pry off without too much trouble. I was rather surprised how dry it was, as we had been seeing a lot of snow/sleet in the last week. We then found some tall, dry, and dead brown plants that we used our hands to grind them up into small fibers (and what almost looked like sawdust) to make the base of our tinder.

Once we arrived at our decidedly wet and muddy location, he showed me how to make a baseplate of dry bark to separate our drystuffs from the wet earth. On one side we erected a wind screen also made out of bark to help the fire get started. He then showed me how to make a little teepee out of dead branches and cram the super-try tinder we gathered at the base, making sure to leave room for airflow. He's a funny guy, so he let me try lighting the darned thing 20+ times before correcting my (newbie) technique. Instead of hovering the firesteel over the tinder and striking it like I was flint-napping (I know, silly) he had me place the tip of the ferro rod at the base of the tinder and firmly pull it back towards my body while holding the steel steady. I don't need to tell you folks that have this experience already, but I couldn't describe how it felt to make my first fire. It was awesome. That sucker went up quick and hot, making it easy to feed it with more dry branches until I could feel the heat radiating, then using some more damp logs to keep it going.

We didn't make Darth Vader's funeral pyre, but it was certainly very warm, and a tad easier than I had imagined. I'd never have been able to do it without training, so I am grateful for the experience.

fire.JPG

Our next few outings will be isolated to specific skills until I've got enough experience doing things without him correcting me, then we'll transition into (real) hikes and maybe some overnights. I'm super-excited to get going! I'll post the contents of my updated kit on my next outing, as right now it's pretty much in disarray. Until then, I'll be practicing as much as I can in-between hikes and providing some updates as I go. My end goal is to join OSAR, provided my fat body gets a little less fat and I can show competence in the basics.

Thanks for reading!
    -Dave

That sounds like a good start....sometimes just a hike will do ya good....then adding any skill practice make it a bonus.

Congrats, and welcome to the outdoors.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Sounds like a great outing! Congrats on making your first fire.

excellent....keep it up.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Knowledge found is always a good thing. Lighten up on yourself. Those negative self comments are a sure fire recipe to undermine your good intentions. Turn those around and think of positive things like calories burned, stamina gained, etc. And there is no rule that says fire or any other practice has to be done in the wilderness. You can do it in your own backyard if you have to. If you don't have time to make a run to the park or woods but have 30 minutes you can spare try making some tinder and lighting it in your backyard. Try looking for dry tinder as you walk on your hike. Stuff it in a cargo pocket or a plastic bag. Then when you are ready to make your fire you don't have to go searching for dry tinder. You'll already have it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Notes: fire starting practice might not be a good thing on your work bench.....

Thanks folks, and especially Rick. Yeah, it's pretty easy to be self-loathing, but that (probably needlessly) stems from years of experience. I agree positivity is important, but it's hard to maintain when other aspects of your life seem to be catching fire all around you. I appreciate the friendly words and I'll watch out for them in the future.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

3 miles or 15, be proud of yourself for getting out there.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Ya done good! Don't beat yourself up over it. Mother Nature is still there when you have the opportunity to get out more. If all of our plans always went according to.....plan.....then there would be no need to prepare. Sounds like you made the best of it and had a good time.

Sometimes all I have time for is eating my lunch by the side of a lake. Albeit brief, it is time well spent.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Wise words, everyone. Y'all are good people ^_^. You're all echoing my wife, and since she's always right... :P

Really though, it is appreciated. More updates with less negativity to come!

Its good to see you getting out there. Focus on what you have accomplished. If you can learn one piece of info everytime you go out, you will achieve your goals. As the saying goes, Rome wasn't built in a day.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Work and study hard........

There will be a test.......LOL

Sounds like a good day
    Any time in the dirt is good time...

Quote Originally Posted by t3hwo0ki3 View Post
    Instead of hovering the firesteel over the tinder and striking it like I was flint-napping (I know, silly) he had me place the tip of the ferro rod at the base of the tinder and firmly pull it back towards my body while holding the steel steady.
    Is this the generally accepted method of lighting a fire with a steel bar? I personally have been holding up the bar in a steady position with a particular angle which shoots sparks where I want, repeatedly hitting it with quick short strikes with my knife.

Whatever works best for you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by payne View Post
    Is this the generally accepted method of lighting a fire with a steel bar? I personally have been holding up the bar in a steady position with a particular angle which shoots sparks where I want, repeatedly hitting it with quick short strikes with my knife.
    This generally falls into the "what works best for you" category. There are a lot of products and methods available, so everybody should find what they are comfortable using, and practice a little to make sure they "have it" when they need it. Here are a few examples.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel