Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Type of Survival Shelter?

In a survival situation the best type of shelter is one you are carrying. Being prepared is the key to wilderness survival, and if you are forced to build a shelter from natural materials, you are not prepared. Primitive shelter and fire skills have there place, but these are primitive living skills, not survival skills. Primitive shelters are time consuming, calorie consuming, and hydration consuming to build and maitain. This is why we build and carry survival kits, and this is why all kits should be based on, and cover the priorities of survival; Shelter,Fire,Water,Signalling,and Food.

I don't disagree with you but out of curiosity what does your kit contain for shelter? That might make things a bit more clear.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Military poncho, SOL emergency bivy bag, 9'X12' plastic sheet, 3 extra large orange garbage bags, 50' para cord, 50' tarred bank line, 6 aluminium tent pegs, emergency mylar space blanket, and a plastic emergency rain poncho.
    Last edited by postman; 03-02-2014 at 03:20 PM.

The op's question, was "what's the best survival shelter" ..... with no location (originally), list of what was carried, materials at hand, skill levels, term of staying there....nothing.
    So...in that frame of reference I chose the log cabin.........
    Any one else is free to respond wiht what ever they want.....there are no wrong answers, just what ever works for you.

I will dismiss the "stone house" at this point.....some members will remember the advice to just stop and build your self a stone house...every night...not a big deal....then there was the guy that wanted to pass along the tip to carry a shovel to dig your self a well every day.....
    So y'all see there is much more to the question of "What's the best....whatever"....with out any other information.

That leave the people that want to help kinda in the dark as to how much work, effort and time you want to send on some one that can't even give details.........

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thanks, Postman. I just thought it might help others understand the difference between having a 4 season tent always at your side and other options. Much appreciated.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Thanks, Postman. I just thought it might help others understand the difference between having a 4 season tent always at your side and other options. Much appreciated.
    No problem Rick, should have put it my original post.

if I get lost I'm going to build a log cabin. It will be at least six months before I'm missed so in the meantime I might just as well be comfortable LOL.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

That and the fact that you're 250 miles from your nearest neighbor. Hey, back the truck up. Use the one in your avatar!

that's one is not far enough from the wife and kids LOL.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLongLegs View Post
    For the past couple years I have been working on survival skills and have made several shelters with some help, including a basic debris hut, a small form of a wikiup and a mandan which was never completely finished. I have been wondering what everyones opinions are on what the best shelter that you can make that take into account warmth, time to construct, movement area and number of people.
    Okay..so you have 4 parameters....warmth, time to construct, movement area, number of people.

I am going to take out movement area and number of people. Almost any shelter can be built to accommodate more people and have more area. I am also taking out warmth, because any shelter can be made to be warm. I am also going to add durability. So, the two parameters are time to construct and durability. Now, lets look at several options and how they relate to each other, based on these two parameters:

1. modern home- takes a while to construct, but very waterproof and durable. You will need special tools and will probably have to buy all the materials. But, if you make it out of brick, the wolf won't be able to blow it down.
    2. log cabin- takes a while to construct, but built properly, can be very waterproof and durable. You don't need as many specialized tools as a modern home, and depending on your area, might be able to get all the materials from the natural environment.
    3. Debri shelter- takes a while to construct, but the time is measured in hours, not days or months like the previous two. Not as durable as the other two as well, and less waterproof. However, it can be made from available materials and doesn't require tools.
    4. 4 season tent with winter sleeping bag- very warm and dry. Very fast setup time. But, you need to carry it, and you can't make it from natural materials. However, it is very portable.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I've often wondered what would make the best primitive shelter for a cold rainy environment.
    Warm, dry, motel room ? Seriously though, any shelter that would allow a small inside fire like a teepee, or a hogan.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

if I get lost I'm going to build a log cabin. It will be at least six months before I'm missed so in the meantime I might just as well be comfortable LOL.
    That and the fact that you're 250 miles from your nearest neighbor. Hey, back the truck up. Use the one in your avatar!
    Damn, man! Where the heck are you!?!? Especially with electricity and Internet!

I think that was a joke from Rick. I live in the sticks of northern Michigan, not far enough as far as I'm concerned but it will do for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    Warm, dry, motel room ? Seriously though, any shelter that would allow a small inside fire like a teepee, or a hogan.
    A teepee or Hogan sounds great but I was wondering what would suffice as a quickie, primitive shelter. A shelter built from the land for use during cold wet weather. Maybe lets say the boreal forest. Pine boughs would will shed water but pine boughs can be flammable especially when dry. I suppose a week long shelter probably wouldn't dry out all that fast especially if it's raining. Just something I often wondered about.
    A cold rain concerns me.

Dave, we had a member that professed to be from Alaska "250 miles from his nearest neighbor". His IP was from Detroit however. So that has sort of become the forum's inside joke.

Dave, we had a member that professed to be from Alaska "250 miles from his nearest neighbor". His IP was from Detroit however. So that has sort of become the forum's inside joke.
    Actually, I had a feeling, but wasn't sure. Thanks Rick.