Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Treating posion ivy/stinging nettel/other poisonous plants: whiteboy style

Default Treating posion ivy/stinging nettel/other poisonous plants: whiteboy style

Lets just say I learned the hardest but cheapest way.
    When I was about 6 1/2 years old, I ran off with my brother everyday in the woods. It continued and to this day (13 years old), I still do so. I would have poison in me about 3 or 4 times a week. Imagine all of those weeks that passed! When I turned about 12, maybe younger, I finally was immune to poison plants! I tend to show it off before my baseball games but rubbing it all over my face! That is just one way. The other way that my brother did was boil it up and eat the plant. Yes eat the plant. He was sick for 2 weeks throwing up. Finally that process was over and he now immune to it too! That is how you do it whiteboy style!
    Its free!

Fantasy. But thanks for posting I guess.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

As Deane says, some people think they're immune. Eventually, with repeated exposure, your immune system collapses and you end up in the hospital. Hopefully you will survive.
    Nettles don't work the same way. They have an acid instead of an oil.
    Not sure what other poisonous plants you're talking about. If you mean poisonous to eat, then goodbye.

A guy in our wilderness survival class tried to show off how cool he was and how if he ate a piece of poison ivy it would not effect him the rest of the year. He was flown out by helicopter shortly after. Good luck.

Stinging nettle is actually edible. They lose their sting after 30 seconds of cooking. Just wear gloves when harvesting leaves, and harvest the leaves when the plant is less than knee-high. Has more protein than most other edible plants, and the seeds & roots have medicinal properties.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
    Stinging nettle is actually edible. They lose their sting after 30 seconds of cooking. Just wear gloves when harvesting leaves, and harvest the leaves when the plant is less than knee-high. Has more protein than most other edible plants, and the seeds & roots have medicinal properties.
    You don't need to cook it either. The trichomes that inject the Acetylcholine and histsmine break easily, just from handling. Some people eat it raw.

It's never effected my hands. Only my wrists and other thinner skinned areas. I can rip off leaves roll them around and eat it.

I've known that some eat it raw, I always thought they were crazy! That's good to know in case I run into a situation where that's all I have to eat and no way of cooking it. Can't wait to go foraging this summer. The seasons still change, right?

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
    You don't need to cook it either. The trichomes that inject the Acetylcholine and histsmine break easily, just from handling. Some people eat it raw.

It's never effected my hands. Only my wrists and other thinner skinned areas. I can rip off leaves roll them around and eat it.

Another option for nettle is to grab it firmly near the base - you can get below the hairs. Then run your hand up the stem. The hairs will lay flat and shouldn't bother you.
    When eating raw you fold the leaf up so the hairs don't get you. Crush the leaf to release juices and this neutralizes the acid.

But be careful, some species in some parts of the country can have very stiff hairs that will sting you. They can even pierce the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteboy View Post
    When I was about 6 1/2 years old, I ran off with my brother everyday in the woods. It continued and to this day (13 years old), I still do so. I would have poison in me about 3 or 4 times a week. Imagine all of those weeks that passed! When I turned about 12, maybe younger, I finally was immune to poison plants! I tend to show it off before my baseball games but rubbing it all over my face! That is just one way. The other way that my brother did was boil it up and eat the plant. Yes eat the plant. He was sick for 2 weeks throwing up. Finally that process was over and he now immune to it too! That is how you do it whiteboy style!
    Its free!
    Whiteboy, People have varying degrees of sensitivity to the poisons and toxins in plants let alone PI. This is something that luckily worked for you and your brother. However it is reckless to "prescribe" or suggest this method to anyone.

Like Randy said it, sent it sent "Show off Boy" by medevac to the hospital. Apparently he survived. Others have not been so lucky.

Sounds stupid but consume Poison Ivy at your own risk.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Its free!
    I don't believe it.........and am calling BS......
    We don't need real people to log on the forum and read such BS....bad advice, potentially dangerous, and just plain stupid.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I guess eating poinonous plants is one way of weeding out the population !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    I guess eating poinonous plants is one way of weeding out the population !
    I guess that one way to look at it......LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I guess that one way to look at it......LOL
    Must have learned his survival skills from a particular TV survival guru, that does things like eating mushrooms that he is unsure if they are poison or not and likes to drink pee !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Its free!
    I know you said you are only 13. Please do not feel that you have to come here and give us a resume. What you did (if you did it) is foolish and dangerous advice to give anybody. Please know that Wilderness Survival starts by not putting yourself into a dangerous situation.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I will add - just to play devils advocate - we have a member that hasn't been active in quite some time that advocated taking tiny, tiny nibbles of poison ivy to build up immunity to it. Not something that I advocate though.

I wonder what happened to Ole WVCoot. Hope it doesn't have anything to due with poison ivy.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Ole WV Coot tried his darndest to get me to try poison ivy. He swore that eating small amounts daily would develop an immunity. I didn't believe it then and I don't believe it now even if it has worked or appeared to work for someone.

Years ago one of my neighbors was burning some scrap and yard waste. Unbeknownst to him he had a pile of poison ivy in the fire. His 7 year old grandson was there and breathed the smoke. The poor kid was in the hospital for about a week over that. Dang near died.

EDIT: Now that right there is funny. I was typing when you posted. You sure we aren't married?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I had my first poison ivy experience at about 7-8 years old. My sensitivity has gotten worse over the years, pretty much walk by it and it jumps on me .

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

I got lucky, never had it from the plant. Got it once a little from someone who had it and was exposed. Mom gets it bad. She put it in capsules and swallowed it for awhile to try to build up immunity. Seemed to help a little but not a lot so she gave it up.

Euell Gibbons wrote about eating poison ivy to build up a immunity. In a nutshell you start in the early spring and eat a few leaves once a week for a few weeks. The book Stalking the Healthful Herbs probably has the exact procedure.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    Euell Gibbons wrote about eating poison ivy to build up a immunity. In a nutshell you start in the early spring and eat a few leaves once a week for a few weeks. The book Stalking the Healthful Herbs probably has the exact procedure.
    Some people do this. It's effectiveness hasn't been verified medically. Until then I won't take a chance.
    It's like bee stings. They might not bother you for years and years. Then one time and you go down. It's not worth it. Until verified by research I won't believe in immunity to poison ivy.
    But it would be great if it's true.