Thread: City Tries To Evict Lady For Living Off The Grid.

Default City Tries To Evict Lady For Living Off The Grid.

Lady lives in town and off the grid. City says no running water and no electricity makes house unlivable.

http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/wi...#axzz2uAUOdb1h

Tell that to the Amish.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

There was an attempt at an ordinance in this town for the min. square footage to be over 2000 sg ft.......was shot down big time.

But yeah the regulations for occupancy may require services........what a crock.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Whatever happened to "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness"?

If someone wants to use solar and it makes them happy, go for it.
    If someone wants to collect rainwater, go for it.
    If someone wants to live in a 400sq. ft. house, go for it.

Has long as your not breaking laws (by laws, I mean a real offense against a person or property) and it makes you happy, go for it. Pursue your happiness!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

This is one more example of how the government is boxing us in and forcing us to live their way. Which means giving up your rights and being dependent on the government.

self reliance is very unpopular these days. Self Reliance by Ralph Waldo Emerson is a good read. It should be required reading.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

You guys. Sheesh. Government has the obligation to protect its citizens. Let us say that that she was a crackhead with a child living in a house with no facilities and the city shut down the house. The kind of stuff by the way that does happen day to day. The government protected the child from its parent, the lady from herself and the neighbors' property values. The only problem I see here is the city put the cart before the horse. An inspection would have been the responsible thing to do and a determination then made as a result. This isn't government or big brother imposing its will. It's one person in one department that made a wrong assumption and a wrong decision made on that assumption.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick, that kind of stuff does happen. It us usually a drawn out issue involving police, child services, dept of health, courts, etc.

This lady is by herself, in good health, and no criminal activity. I'd tell these people the same thing I told my county auditor. If you want to know about my property, get a warrant.

Also, the US Supreme Court has ruled that police are not obligated to protect. Why would any other government entity be held to a different standard?
    Last edited by natertot; 02-25-2014 at 09:52 AM.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I think the real issue here is that apparently procedures were not followed. Without warning she is banned from entering her own home. Surely she should have been warned and given a chance to take corrective action. But nothing. More than one person must have given a green light to this action. This was a government fail at many levels.
    I'm not calling it a conspiracy, just gross incompetence.

I'm sure an amount of "spin" is involved here.....Going with the story 'as is" may not always be correct.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27