Thread: An RX first...

Default An RX first...

I got my first solo hand drill coal! I used mullein on white pine. I used unoriginal methods to get it, but we got to start with baby steps don't we. I used a piece of sting with thumb loops to keep a downward pressure on the spindle and to keep from having to remove my hands. The spindle started to split, so I ended up taping below the string to keep it from splitting even more. After some drilling, I got the coal!

What I learned:
    Without the string, I wasn't getting enough downward pressure.
    With the string, I had to clasps my hands together harder to spin the spindle.
    It is very tiring on your arms.
    So far, the bow drill seems to be the easiest way for me to make a friction fire.
    I didn't get a blister, so I must have done something right.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Congrats........ I can see where your additions would be helpful.

There a lot of mullen at "The Place", and sound like it's pretty popular for a shaft and starts well.....
    I do think you are correct, get it to go any way you c an, then look for improvements and style points after you have an idea on what you are doing.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yeah, fire is fire. No one will be checking etiquette when we're cold and wet waiting on you to get the fire started.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well done RX.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Great job RX!

I still have yet to get a hand drill coal. But, if the reward is anywhere as nice as making fire with a fire bow then it is well worth the effort.

Have you tried using some sort of socket? You can hold it in your mouth or strap it to your forehead. This will provide downward pressure.
    I've seen this done before, a long, long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by aktrekker View Post
    Have you tried using some sort of socket? You can hold it in your mouth or strap it to your forehead. This will provide downward pressure.
    I've seen this done before, a long, long time ago.
    I have also seen a video where someone held a socket in their mouth when doing this, but that would scare the crap out of me. I already worry enough about losing my teeth. Lol.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

I feel the same way. That's why I thought of strapping something to your forehead.
    I haven't had the courage to try it yet. But hey, next time your out there....