Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Handi Rifle barrels prices......???

Default Handi Rifle barrels prices......???

Been watching some auctions on eBay for different barrels for th3e H&R/NEF Handi Rifle.

Now there have been some calibers, that are not available in the add on program....like .35 Rem that have been going for some pretty high prices.....I can see that, hard to get.

But even those that are available like the .444 Marlin, that is available from H&R:
    444 Marlin 22”Scope Rail......F444..........$104.03

But are getting nuts prices....plus shipping?......I don't under stand.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
    Last edited by hunter63; 02-23-2014 at 10:45 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

A lot of people think that because it's on EBay they are getting a deal. Too many fail to do their due diligence to know whether or not they are.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well, what it might be....... is that normally you can't just "buy" barrels for H&R...they have to be fitted to your receiver.
    Where as these are just sold openly....as "take offs"?

I do think you are correct, though....because it on eBay it must be a deal.....
    Anyway, I have been backing off on several if I can't get it for my price.

+1 on what Crash said.

I recently looked at getting a Handi Rifle in hopes of an inexpensive way to have the ability to shoot many calibers. Especially ones I really don't care to own, just want the ability to shoot just in case. However, recent research leads me to believe that it really isn't as economical as it is touted. First, you have to buy a rifle to start (Be sure it is a SB2 Receiver made 2000 or newer) which is about $300 new and not really much less if you are lucky to find one used. Then you have to ship the receiver to the manufacture to get new barrels fitted (per H&R website), and the barrels are roughly $125 each. To top that off there are only about a half dozen calibers available.

I can find several, older rifles in fair shape for $150-$250 a piece and not have to worry about barrel swapping. Just gotta wonder, is the Handi really worth it? Just like to get your input since I know your a fan. Thanks.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I have to agree that the pricing has really went nuts last few years.
    Rifles were $250 max and on sale a lot for $195-$229......Shotguns were in the $150 plus range.....so they have gone up.

Used to be rifle barrels were $55 bucks, shotgun were $35 bucks....fitting as about $20 bucks.
    Now rifle barrels are over a hundred, installing is $25 or more, (I would have to check my invoice from last spring to be sure)....so my guess with scope mount and shipping each barrel is about $150 or so.

Now on the other hand T/C barrels are $250 plus each, and Rossi are as well....so still a deal, I think.....
    For me it beats shelling out $500 plus for scoped bolt guns in different calibers....or $1000 plus for AR type...(don't really care for them)

There still are quite a few barrels I don't have may be 10....but there are about 18 cal. total, offered now....more if you count barrel length, bull vs regular and other differences.

I do have some that are not offered any more...I see the .204 Ruger is no longer on the list...35 Whelan is....
    The ones I look for are the odd balls....did pick up a .35 rem lately......

I guess we all have to have something to do.....Or wait, you got kids....you will have no money for another 20 years....LOL, I laugh with you......

Costs more to get them from the factory now. Remington (who now owns the Handi) adds fitting fees and other stuff to the price of the barrel now. Plus I have heard many a horror story about the service now.
    As for fitting used barrels, there are a couple of tricks, but it can be done. Especially when you have more than one frame to try it on
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Thanks Hunter!

Unless I find one for a song, I think I'll keep my eye out for some older used guns $250 and under. Do like the concept, but kids do take away the $$$$!

Lineman, if you can maybe go into some detail on the process? Sounds like a good nugget of info.......

Quote Originally Posted by aflineman View Post
    Costs more to get them from the factory now. Remington (who now owns the Handi) adds fitting fees and other stuff to the price of the barrel now. Plus I have heard many a horror story about the service now.
    As for fitting used barrels, there are a couple of tricks, but it can be done. Especially when you have more than one frame to try it on
    The last batch was a Sportster rim fire frame SS1 that I had .22lr, and .17 HMR added to a .22 mag.......and yeah I would have to get out the invoice, but was more expensive.
    Found service about the same, with turn around like 3 weeks.......so I was happy.

Kyrat add a couple done recently, so maybe he can jump in with some numbers and impression.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Thanks Hunter!

Unless I find one for a song, I think I'll keep my eye out for some older used guns $250 and under. Do like the concept, but kids do take away the $$$$!

Lineman, if you can maybe go into some detail on the process? Sounds like a good nugget of info.......
    I haven't really had a problem with fit and have swapped barrels between a couple of receivers.....and as long as they close and are tight, should be good to go.
    If they hang up when closing, which I think a couple of the fitted ones were from Remington had what appeared to be file marks on a corner or two.....but I would really take extreme care before doing much.

If you have a question in your mind....for safety reasons, and piece of mind.......I sure a local gun smith may be able to preform that task.

I do have a .35 Rem barrel coming in...so we will see.....

And yeah, aflineman, I too would be interested in any fitting info you may have experienced.

I will find the info and post when I get to a real keyboard this weekend.
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have gone at it from two directions.

I have the H&R and I have the Rossi.

I sent in my H&R for two barrels in December. One rifle barrel and one shotgun barrel. Cost to ship the frame was $20. They charged me the cost of barrel plus $25 each for fitting, which I know was simply finding one that would close and not wobble, since there is not a mark on either barrel lug to show any polishing or filing was done. Then there was the $20 shipping charge to send them back to me.

My turn around time was 3 weeks and I had the best customer service experience that I have had in some time. I called for my order number and I called back for a couple more questions and the folks on the line were very patient.

I figured it up so the average rifle barrel cost is $165. The average shotgun barrel cost was less than $100. That is still cheaper than buying used guns. At least it is in my area, our used gun market has dried up or gone crazy!

If you get more than one at a time you save on shipping too.

As I said, I have the Rossi product too. Mine is the standard not the Wizzard. I have been fortunate to run into a couple of good deals on two and three barrel sets and have combined them all together. I have even bought a couple of sets to get the rifle barrel then sold or given the shotgun barrel on the extra receiver away. A man can only stand having a certain number of single shot shotguns around before he stumbles over a hacksaw and gets himself in trouble!

All the Rossi's use the same frame. There is not a shotgun frame, rifle frame and rim-fire frame. Any of the Rossi barrels will fit whatever frame you have.

There is a difference between the barrels on the youth models and the adult models. The youth barrels have a shorter forend and the attachment lug is closer to the frame. That just means that you have to own both forends to swap between adult and youth sizes.

Why would you want youth and adult? Well Rossi offers some real nice shotgun barrels on their youth sets that have 20" barrels with modified choke, which extends the usable range out to 40-50 yards in a very handy package.

I have not found any of the Rossi products that did not interchange. They seem to have their tolerances figured out and see no reason to force the owner to pay $40 in shipping and $25 for fitting per barrel.

At less than $200 for the Rossi shotgun/rimfire combo you are looking at the perfect cache gun, and if you have two or three buried around and all the parts interchange you are in even better shape for survival.

My real thoughts???

For the rifle shooters, the Rossi has the better trigger out of the box.

Any full power rifle cartridge in either of these packages is !!! BRUTAL !!! to shoot. If you think a MN rifle is bad don't even think about one of these in 308 or 30-06. If Hunter tries to shoot that .35 Whelan his pacemaker is going to short out!

I love the pistol calibers and small bore rifles on these SS actions. I do not care if I never own an AR as long as I have my scoped SS in .223, and this years' designated chicken house defense/raccoon rifle is the .357 barrel with an illuminated reticle scope.

The shotgun barrels in either brand are no better or worse than any good quality SS shotgun. I am not giving up my pumps and doubles for any of them, but if that was all I had I would be thankful, and they fit into the carrying cases so they are always there.

The first of either of them that offers a 7.62x39 will get more of my money!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I have a handi rifle in 7.62 by 39, did they quit making them? If a receiver is sent in, does a FFL have to take return delivery? Also in regards to the recoil. I have a handi rifle in 45-70 and with a heavy Keith reloads that rig is brutal. I really like my reloads I use in my trapdoor, a lot more pleasant.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I have a handi rifle in 7.62 by 39, did they quit making them? If a receiver is sent in, does a FFL have to take return delivery? Also in regards to the recoil. I have a handi rifle in 45-70 and with a heavy Keith reloads that rig is brutal. I really like my reloads I use in my trapdoor, a lot more pleasant.
    Firearms do not have to go through the FFL channels when you are the owner and you are shipping them to the manufacturer or to a gunsmith for any type of work.

I'd like to get into one of these SS packages. I'd like to have .22 Mag, .22 Hornet, .222 Rem, .222 Rem Mag, .223, .243, .270, and 7.62x39. Then again, I have the kiddos!

Nice report Kyrat!
    Last edited by natertot; 02-24-2014 at 08:21 PM.

I wondered about the shipping. Years ago when I was a FFL dealer there was a guy that shipped a ruger back for repair. He wanted me to take delivery of it on the return trip.

currently in handi rifle loadings I have 22 hornet, .223, 45-70, 30-06, .357 mag. .243, 7.62x39, think that's it.

would like one in 30-30
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I wondered about the shipping. Years ago when I was a FFL dealer there was a guy that shipped a ruger back for repair. He wanted me to take delivery of it on the return trip.

currently in handi rifle loadings I have 22 hornet, .223, 45-70, 30-06, .357 mag. .243, 7.62x39, think that's it.

would like one in 30-30
    Well, state and local laws may have other requirements. Do homework before just shipping a gun.

I have never had to use an FFL in Wisconsin....just followed the shipping instructions.

The 7.62 X39 barrel used to be offered...and is still popular, if you can find one.(I'm looking as it shoots a cheapo caliber)

.35 Whelan will rock ya, true, and was on the endangered species list a while back...now offered again....but the .35 rem is not offered any longer....(just found one)....Dr. says maybe in summer for the big guns.....chest healing.

I see the .204 Ruger barrel is missing now.

Anyway I agree with the Rossi being a better deal if you haven't started yet (or just in the mood for a 3 piece inexpensive combo for the truck).
    I was looking tonight for Rossi's catalog that listed extra barrels as the are some available but are kinda pricey.....can't find it now, but were in the $200 plus range...kinda like the T/C Encore and CVA barrels.....I'll keep looking but have chosen the path of the Handi....so a phone call to Rossi for anyone that is interested may be in order.

That being said to date the Barrels are......first project....243 w/SB2 receiver.....270, 45/70, .50 cal ML....then ..410/45 Lc combo, 28 ga, 20 ga .20 ga rifled bull, 16 ga and 12 ga

Second project Handi .204 original, SB2 receiver, added .357. 30-30 and .35 Whelan

Third was rim-fire a Sportster SS1 receiver .22 lr, .22 mag, .17 HMR

Other calibers with available for transplant SB2 receivers., .223, and .44 mag (usually a SB1),
    .38/55 Buffalo, and .58 cal Huntsman ML both not made anymore.
    Several shotguns, 12ga .20ga youth, and .10ga Long Tom long barrel.

I guess I'll just keep looking for the lonely Handi or Topper waiting on me......LOL

Did bid on a 60's Topper model 158 combo, 30-30/ 12ga that got kinda nuts with the bidding....This was the first H&R/NEF I ever saw....and would have been a duplicate....but was an original....LOL

Yeah, I have it bad......

I was just checking out Rossi. One thing I noticed that I like is that all the Rossi rifle barrels come with sights whereas the H&R doesn't. One has to scope them all on the H&R. A few bucks more to have sights included seems like a better value and of course you can still put on a scope.

Good point.....although there are some available with sights, most of the H&R barrels are supplied with scope base holes only.

This bring up another point.....if you do have the stock with the high comb (cheek piece) supplied for a scope....the open sight barrels, rifle/shotgun are hard to "get down on and see real comfortable.......at least for me.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The fix is a shotgun style, or low comb stock.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    So there are details to deal with.

Rossi seems a good deal for those that just want to shoot them, rather that play with them AND shoot them.....LOL

Due to time, I will cut and paste a bit of info from Greybeard's. I would do my own write-up (and still might later), but this weekend got very busy on my. I had my "Simulated" anniversary all weekend, since there is no 29th this year.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-cent...#msg1098981271

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-cent...758/#msg504758

http://www.angelfire.com/ma/ZERMEL/gapfp.html

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-cent...#msg1098335003

Really good all around Handi Rifle info, and helpful folks. (Credits especially to Quicktoo over there. Really helpful and nice guy).

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-cent...e-read!!!****/

Again, apologies for the cut and paste, I am just really busy paying catch-up and getting ready for the work week.

Thanks for the impute and heads up.....

I'm a member of Gray Beards, as well, a few other names you will recognize...and is a very valuable resource....read the FAQ for a up date on most anything.....Those boys take their Handi's serious....LOL

Funny the fitting question came up, as my .35 Rem barrel showed up, and seems to fit the .44 mag sb2 receiver the best....but having a problem getting it to latch.......
    Saw a couple of ways to approach this, and will be messing with it....all other barrels seem to interchange, between the different action I have latch and close with out a problem....now this one won't....Go figure.

Anyway some people collect stamps....or women collect shoes and purses....But they don't go "Boom"...Right?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    women collect shoes and purses....But they don't go "Boom"...Right?
    I see a new market!!!!

I stopped at the LGS yesterday. He had a Rossi Youth combo for $199 + Tax. It was a black synthetic and came with .410 and .22 barrels and a nice black case. My daughter held it (kinda looking for her since she turns 6 in a week and is showing more and more interest.) but it was still a bit too long on the stock. If I can locate a wood butt stock cheap, I may have to go get it. I figure I can cut down the butt stock for her to use now, then when she grows I'll put the synthetic back on. It also works because I have a son right behind her and I can use it for my "caliber acquisition program" which I refer to as "CAP". This maybe in my future!!!!