Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Handi Rifle barrels prices......???

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

After reading this thread I have decided to purchase two extra bbls for my H&R Handi-rifle. The rifle I have is in .357 Mag, so I am getting a 22" 20 ga Mod bbl and a 22" 44 Mag bbl.
    I recently purchased a Taurus Tracker in 44Spc/44Mag, so I can use the same ammo in both firearms. I believe my primary use of this combo will be as a UTV gun, although with three grand daughters, it may get pressed into use as a deer gun if all three want to hunt at the same time.

This thread has put me in search of a handi-rifle rifle or barrel in 30-30.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Both the 20 ga and the .44 mag barrel should be able to be mounted on the .357 receiver.....even though it should be a SB1.
    A quick on the serial number or barrel marking and phone call will comfirm.
    Quote>
    Additional barrels may be added to firearms of our manufacture since 1987 only, with a serial number that begins with N, H or C. We do not install additional barrels on any other manufacture's firearms.
    Additional barrels will be fitted to the proper frame if the frame passes a detailed inspection. This inspection is performed by the repairman at the time the frame is received
    Rifle barrels may be added to firearms manufactured since 2000 and only to frames (SB-2) that originated as a rifle, if frame passes inspection.
    Rifle frames (SB-2) newer than 2000 may be fitted with additional rifle, shotgun, and muzzleloader barrels, if frame passes inspection.
    All shotgun frames (SB-1) 1987 and newer and rifle frames (SB-2) produced between 1987 and 1999 or 1999 and newer may be fitted with additional shotgun and muzzleloader barrels only, if frame passes inspection
    <quote

Good luck, great project.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I had one of those pleasant experiences one appreciates this afternoon.

Before Christmas I bought a .357 barrel for my Handi rifle. I am setting this one up as my primary raccoon rifle which amounts to a 3-9 power illuminated reticle scope for shooting blobs in the chicken run in the dark.

Due to the weather we have experienced for the past 4 months I wound up bore sighting the set up and calling it good enough, hoping I would not need to use it past 25 yards until I could sight it in properly.

I finally got to the range with it today.

I decided to zero the rifle using what it would get as standard fodder for most of its life, my .38 reloads using 150 grain cast lead SWC at 850fps.

Much to my amazement, at 25 yards it produced a three shot group with the holes touching.

The scope dialed in and centered with no undue problems, so I decided to stretch my luck and see what it would do at 100 yards. I did not buy it as a 100 yard shooter, expecting it would be my "backyard rifle", giving me more power than the .22lr and eliminating one phase of the ammo shortage worries.

Other than the fact that the group was 6" low at 100, the cluster was amazingly tight. A 4" inch group well centered and uniformly dispersed with no outlandish flyers.

That was much better than I expected, since these reloads are not exactly precision cartridges. I cast the bullets from scrap lead and load them on a Lee Turent press dumping the charges from the auto-disk powder measure in a very casual manner except for standard safety concerns.

If I were using full house .357 mags I am quite certain that I could drop a deer with this little rifle out to 100 yards.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Outstanding....that a cool little round for BYB...or coons.

I'm having a local guy fit up a couple of barrels I just bought off eBay....
    He just joined the D.U. committee, so I decided to check out his work.

He also is taking consignments...and ask me if I was interested in a couple od NEF shot guns....possible both for $150.
    I'll check them out when they come in.

Found a Versa Pac .22 lr and a .35 Rem, both were discontinued.

This Handi was a .204 Ruger, also hard to come by......and now will have the .35 Rem fitted to it, along with the .357, .30-30, and 35 Whelen.

I should have stuck with varmint calibers for this one, .22 Hornet, 22-250...Oh well The .223 Handi will work as well.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by hunter63; 04-11-2014 at 09:51 PM.

I have to hand it to you, Hunter. After all these years and all the ribbing you still have the Karaoke machine. I like a man that beats his own drum.....and sings along.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well.....
    "Though it's cold and lonely in the deep dark night
    I can see paradise by the dashboard light......."
    Yeah had a lot of fun with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I have to hand it to you, Hunter. After all these years and all the ribbing you still have the Karaoke machine. I like a man that beats his own drum.....and sings along.
    That machine is Hunter's basic source of side income Rick. He shows up with that in his truck and people pay him to leave it right where it is.

Remember,
    Alcohol and enthusiasm out weights..... talent and good sense..... every time.

Or "seemed like a good idea at the time......"

Rick, you should have heard him using it at the last Jamboree. I'd play the video, but what happens at the Jamboree stays at the Jamboree.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I don't have any of the guns mentioned. But, one of the advantages that I see is you don't need to secure space in the safe for all of the barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    I don't have any of the guns mentioned. But, one of the advantages that I see is you don't need to secure space in the safe for all of the barrels.
    Well, some of them fit in here....but this is an old picture....several more since.....
    This can truly become an addiction......

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    This can truly become an addiction......
    Especially when you are like me and providing for two houses.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

They can also be handy for the male person that has not yet reached the point where the wife has given up on her attempts at creating a housebroken spouse.

Most members of the female gender are not going to visualize "another gun barrel" as another gun!

Suddenly you still have only one gun but the capability to shoot 5-10 different specific calibers for specific uses.

And the answer to the inevitable question, "How many guns do you have Dear?

Is still honestly answered with "Just one sweetheart"!

Beats my old trick of painting everything I traded for flat black to create confusion.

LOL....yeah well, that is true.
    The Ruger .44 Blackhawk and the Ruger Single Six look enough alike if you are only looking at one at a time....was working fine....till I was cleaning both of them at the same time, in the living room, and DW came home from shopping early.......

I still almost got away with it, as she was really getting into her distain of Hoppe #9 ......pretty good and chewing me out....then noticed that there were two,... not one, blue revolvers with Walnut grips on the table.......Oh, well, we learn......

Actually she just ask me what barrels I want for my birthday these days.

I have a deal with my wife. She can buy all the diamonds and emeralds she wants and I will do the same with long guns and hand guns.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Truth is that Mrs. K-rat passed away 5 years back, leaving the K-rat without proper supervision and living only 45 minutes away from Buds Gun Shop.

I now have my own personal shopper with my number on speed dial. "Guess what we just got in on deep discount?" being her favorite lead phrase.

I think I have myself under control. I haven't bought a gun since October. I am taking this thing one day at a time.

Disclaimer: Does not include money spent on parts and supplies or accessories...

It's tough, man, it's tough........hang in there......

Oh I am not an addict. I can go for months without scoring a new shooter.

As long as I can find ammo on sale somewhere!

A spam can of Mosin rounds, a case of 7.62x39, maxing out a hazmat fee on primers and powder,,,

Sometimes all I need to take the edge off is a half case of Wallmart shotgun shells.

It's all good man!