Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wild Syrups.

as a kid, i used to make a syrup out of something we called "hog plums". if memory serves me correctly, they were american plum trees(or something like that).

i used to crush the fruit, soak them in water for a day or so, then boil them. then i would strain them and boil the liquid until it could be called a syrup. i also added some sour tasting weed. we called it sour weed, dont know the real name.

the syrup was quit tart and went better on steak and chicken than it did pancakes, but i guess you could always add sugar to make it more sweet.

....or leave out the sour weed.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

even without it, those hog plums are pretty sour.

we used it kinda like lemon. worked well for a marinade for meats. it would probably work well for making wine as well if you mixed it in with something else... like pear juice.

We get a tree we call Hog Plum or Tallow Plum. Fruit is kinda bitter and sweet.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

i just googled tallow plum. i dont think i have ever seen one. apparently there are a few types of wild plums...
    http://www.eattheweeds.com/chickasaw-plum-yum/

and then there is tallow plum:
    http://www.eattheweeds.com/ximenia-a...-many-names-2/

Wild plum's....ah yes....A friend......Older guy, (then), from the Old Country made home made plum....ah... liquor ?

50 gal wood barrel/w lid.....fill up with plums that were getting ...ah..... mushy?........add 10# sugar, couple of cakes of yeast,...fill with water.....put on lid, hose to bucket of water....and let it bubble......about 4 -5 weeks it would quit.

Take off cover, add #5 more pounds of sugar...stir, and repeat the hose in bucket....till it quits bubbling again.

Now it getting cold out, winter, ....dolly barrel to back porch,.... let freeze......when frozen for a while....thump the barrel, find the liquid, drill in a bung spicket.....drain out about 9 gal of..... ah....juice(?)....

Mix 50/50 with Welsh's grape juice......in a water glass....and away ya go.....

Yeah, plums....hummmmm
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27