Thread: Wild Greens In High Mountain Deserts

Default Wild Greens In High Mountain Deserts

While camping near Delta Utah in 2011 I discovered something similar to dandelion that tasted like spinach. I wound up living off of mostly that wild green, wild pigeons, and rabbits for six months in the Raft River Mountains that same year. A Forest Service Office printed out an Online Plants In Bloom Guide every two weeks for folks like myself, but that plant was not listed. It had tiny purple flowers and smooth edged leaves that were just like dandelion leaves but they were smooth edged. Then while walking from Idaho to Florida I did not see it any farther south than central Utah. Can anyone identify this very tasty plant?

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel whisperer View Post
    While camping near Delta Utah in 2011 I discovered something similar to dandelion that tasted like spinach. I wound up living off of mostly that wild green, wild pigeons, and rabbits for six months in the Raft River Mountains that same year. A Forest Service Office printed out an Online Plants In Bloom Guide every two weeks for folks like myself, but that plant was not listed. It had tiny purple flowers and smooth edged leaves that were just like dandelion leaves but they were smooth edged. Then while walking from Idaho to Florida I did not see it any farther south than central Utah. Can anyone identify this very tasty plant?
    Pictures ? Its impossible to identify a plant without seeing it.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

How little were the flowers?
    Were there any leaves on the stem?
    How purple were the flowers? Light, dark, bluish, pinkish?
    How large were the leaves? 2", 6", bigger?
    What time of year were the flowers out?

LameWolf pretty much covered it. Unless someone here recognizes this plant from your description and can offer a suggestion, you are the best qualified person to ID your plant.

good luck. Tell us if you find it.

http://www.utahwildflowers.com/
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

You can also try here
    http://intermountainbiota.org/portal/

Some websites let you search by plant characteristics. By getting some basic info you can narrow the search and have a better chance of finding a match.

BTW - if you didn't know what it was you damn sure shouldn't have put it in your mouth.

+1 on BTW.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

+2 on BTW

I would personally look into the Asters based on your description.

Sounds like quite a walk you had.