Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.11 tactical series

I have two rush 24 packs and a push pack... I love all of them the one 24 is 4 years old, I've used it incredibly hard and it shows very little where
    Last edited by Survive; 03-20-2014 at 07:25 AM. Reason: misspelling

Does the 4 year old have any rugged field use or had it just sat around? Seriously debating using this as my pack for the JMT this year. Last year it was annoying having to move around all my crap to get to something. With this setup I can just put the more used stuff (compass, map, water, water filter) in the Moab.

If I take it then I have to decide weather to buy another set in all brown for the dirty trail, or ruin my pretty shiny black or haha

Nice bags.
    Last edited by sjj; 08-06-2014 at 04:20 AM.

I just received them and started putting in gear. Not even close to my pak weight but I did walk down the road with both. Super comfy. Then again so is most any pack not fully loaded.

I'm being a drama queen. I don't want to use the pretty new bag and mess it up. Thi k I'm gonna have to buy a brown set for actual field use.

edited....
    Last edited by sjj; 08-16-2015 at 02:47 AM.

Oh I will definitely do some full load pack tests first. Honestly I have one egged up back and I tend to pack upside down from most people and carry differently. Last year I used a ****ty ruck, I think this would be an upgrade minus the space. But, it would make me pack less and more efficiently. Like I said only frequently used stuff in the outside pack. Basically a camelback plus a pocket for lightweight items. So far these are just ideas, I still have 6 months before my start date to figure out what will work. If people can ultralight it in tiny packs I don't see why one of these packed right won't work. Seems to lay somewhere in between a full sized ruck and light pack.

I know this is an older thread, (and I'm a new guy) but I was wondering how these packs have been working out for you? What have you been using them for, whats your basic view of them now with some miles under them?

I have been looking for a new pack as of late, I love the stuff pocket idea of the Rush 72, however since its about the same size as my Camelbak BFM I just picked up I'd say the 72 is too large for what I want (basic AP day pack for urban/field). So overall I was interested in the Rush series quality, and your basic view of the system now you have used it some.

I'm still trying to work out the "perfect day pack for me". I think size wise I want something around 1400 cu in. (I'm guessing) I hear lots of good about the Rush 12...The Camelbak HAWG is right at 1400 cu in I believe...and there are so many other choices it makes my head hurt!

i would think no offence bieing former airborne youd allready have this figured out
    any how for what youwant to carry as by your list a condor rip-a-way med pouch is what you
    might be looking for. you can molle it to the rush pack if needed it can be torn away from pack.
    it also comes in a leg mount model.it,s like a blow out med pouch also can serve as a edc pouch as well.
    WHAT FALLS OUT OF THE SKY TROOP.

First, the 101st hasn't been on jump status in over 40 years. Second I don't like the idea that my medical kit can come off easily with velcro. Might not be good hiking through tougher areas and brush.

I have been using the 5.11 Rush 72 and moab 10 for several months. It hasn't failed me. I love both bags, but the whole tier system isn't good for much beyond helping keep your two bags together in the car. Attached it can add a lot of weird weight too far back. I still use my MOAB 10 for EDC and day hikes throughout the forest. The RUSH 72 is still a perfect sized emergency bag for my vehicle and also contains all my essential medical gear for the fire department. I also load my rush 72 with up to 80 pounds of lead and water for my daily rucks. It hasn't failed or shown any signs of damage, but the daily rucks haven't been going on very long.

I have a few Polo t's , a few round necks, a few those look like polyester t's , and about 9 pairs of pants..all tactical..a few pairs of socks, 1 desert color boots, 1 black jump boots and the sports shoes. 2 belts, a wallet and the PUSH bag...we have a local retailer in penang...
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Tokwan, all 5.11? I was very skeptical of them at first. Anything that markets itself under the word "tactical" make me weary. But I have yet to have a single piece of 5.11 gear fail me. The closest i've come is a flashlight MOLLE pouch popping off once in a while.

I've always made fun of girlfriends and people in general for spending $60 on a pair of pants. I now wear nothing but 5.11 taclite pro pants for casual day to day stuff, as well as hiking. I used the taclite pro EMS pants for over 6 months, fell in love with them.

Yep..all of them are 5.11 as we are on the subject. I actually wore a whole suit yesterday...I did have a pair of glasses, but lost them...couldn't recall where I placed them.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    Yep..all of them are 5.11 as we are on the subject. I actually wore a whole suit yesterday...I did have a pair of glasses, but lost them...couldn't recall where I placed them.
    Haha, whole suit like a flight suit, or taclite pro top and bottom? I tried the later, and looked like I was about to go on an African safari lol.

Well..it is okay here cos I live in Malaysia the weather is humid...and I have a pair that used when ever I go terkking..I packed my pair of Columbia's in the bag as they require less space.

You don't have to worry about the Rip-Away pouch falling off or being pulled off by branches or vines. It takes a pretty healthy pull to rip a 5x5 piece of velcro loose. However, it will come loose with that healthy pull saving valuable time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You don't have to worry about the Rip-Away pouch falling off or being pulled off by branches or vines. It takes a pretty healthy pull to rip a 5x5 piece of velcro loose. However, it will come loose with that healthy pull saving valuable time.
    How does that save valuable time rather than just taking what you need out of a regular pouch? In what scenario are you talking about Rick? Something like your car is sinking and you can't grab your whole bag...?

I like using velcroed pouches and molles because it helps keeping things orderly and saves the time from rummaging the bag.

I guess that depends on where you carry it and what kind of pouch you are using. I haven't as yet found a pouch that will carry as much as the Rip-Away and still be able to find what you need when you need it. It's the finding what you need part that I find a time savings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I guess that depends on where you carry it and what kind of pouch you are using. I haven't as yet found a pouch that will carry as much as the Rip-Away and still be able to find what you need when you need it. It's the finding what you need part that I find a time savings.
    I see what you mean, I checked it out. Opens up with the mesh organizer. Looks like a cool pouch. I can see it being easier to put on and find stuff.

Tokwan, me too. I was trying to think how velcro helps save time though. My medical side pouches can pop off in a second by simply undoing the MOLLE snaps. Although putting them back on wouldn't be as quick as just slapping it on.

The velcro works faster and better than molles. Molles snap buttons tend to become weaker after a certain time and sometimes, its a pain tio get between the small slots to snap the buttons together. Velcro works best...wonder why I didn't invent Velcro in the first place?