Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Discovery Channel Fires Cody Lundin

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yup....That's what she said as well.......LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by jfeatherjohn View Post
    Thanks, Pete, especially for the correct spelling...:-)
    Quite welcome and nice to see you back posting again.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Dave C is supposedly doing his own show now where he has 100% control on what the outcome is. I think it is only an internet show and you have to pay for it.

I doubt that is the last we will see of Cody on TV. Someone else will pick him up.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Well its over for Dual Survival! David Canterbury, was fired a few seasons ago for embellishing his resume. Turns out Joe Teti may have done the same thing. And always barefoot — Cody Lundin, cant get along with Joe and was fired, right after the Shi-Lanka episode, it was clear the season was over before it began...The show had a major flaw in it, that few picked up on. The first set of scenes show the pair in mangrove swamps after a while they find dry land and make there way to a large waterfall with Elephants... Well that made me look and I found it - the Kuda Dunhinda waterfall was too easy to find and it has a trail out to it and is close to route 836. Its too many miles from the mangroves. So they too, are staying in a hotel.

The worst part was they stuck to the script with bamboo containers and water during a rainstorm and didn't set up a collection container during a rain storm....
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Okay, I admit I was wrong. I've seen the first two episodes that have aired now with Cody's replacement....Matt Graham, and the guy is a beast. The things that he teaches through the show are invaluable, and I think he can get a fire started with nothing faster than Cody could. I was really surprised to see what he did with that turkey, I just wish he had a better partner now...Joe just rubs me the wrong way, and I can definitely see why Cody left the show, and to get a better idea of what I'm talking about, watch those first two episodes. Joe acts so impatient with a bunch of the stuff that Matt does, especially with the snake. Matt ranks pretty high on my list so far.
    The Heavenly Warrior Defeats the Beast

11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war. 12 His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

Here's the thing, with Cody and Joe you had a great contrast: Lean(well, sorta) mean, military machine, playing off against Chunky old guy who goes everywhere shoe less. So they replace the barefoot Hippie with "Tarzan?" It's definitely not the same. Haven't watched it yet and don't plan on it....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Here's the thing, with Cody and Joe you had a great contrast: Lean(well, sorta) mean, military machine, playing off against Chunky old guy who goes everywhere shoe less. So they replace the barefoot Hippie with "Tarzan?" It's definitely not the same. Haven't watched it yet and don't plan on it....
    Well, you got me into it Sarge.

Lundin is as you describe, he goes to too many of those woo-woo cocktail parties in Sedona to maintain his boyish figure. And his barefoot thing is mostly a gimmick to impressing the yups. BUT, his survival stuff is basically sound and his approach will give the most folks the better chance to deal with a bad situation. Met him a couple of times and we wouldn’t be buddies, but I would much rather be stuck in a tight spot with him than Teti.

Teti rubs me the wrong way because he reminds me of certain gung-ho rambo types I have run into over the years. Haven’t met him, don’t plan to, but he strikes me as the kind who jumps in headlong and has a pattern of getting people around him hurt. I understand why the network types want ratings, and a good train wreck always seems to get ratings, but the show ought to have been retitled “Survival for Flamers, How to be an Idiot in Nature.” The dead cow thing* was stupid and pointless - no wonder Lundin laughed himself off the show. I have known some real warriors who did some incredible things in combat ops (Omaha beach, Battle of Britain, Tet) , and Teti is not like them. I apologize to young Teti fans, but he really is not the person you want to look up to.

Won’t be watching DS, so I don’t know about the new partner.

If I were stuck with someone in a survival scenario or having to watch them on TV, my preferences would be

Stroud, Lundin - si
    Canterbury, M. Hawke, Mears - tal vez
    Grylls, Teti - no
    Graham - no se
    Ruth - caliente, pero no

*The producers totally missed the real significance and importance of the dead cow and the opportunity to provide some real survival info to the viewers.

Alas,Cody was compromising the mission.

Y'all are taking this way to serious.......It's a TV show.......Like Days of Our Lives......LOL...Now that is a survival show.....

Blog Entries

Cool Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by letslearntogether47 View Post
    Alas,Cody was compromising the mission.
    Cody WAS "compromising the mission!" How in the world could they hope to sneak up on the Al Qaeda with Cody bumbling along without boots? Also the camera crew and staff could have gave them away! Joe is right...after all, he's the "WARRIOR DUDE!" Wait a minute...why wasn't Joe armed?......
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Yup, Ruth is hot!

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    Yup, Ruth is hot!
    Yes she is........LOL

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

oh...that Ruth.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunset Sam View Post
    *The producers totally missed the real significance and importance of the dead cow and the opportunity to provide some real survival info to the viewers.
    I'll bite? What did they miss?

What they missed was, for example:

- if there is livestock in a desert environment that means that a source of drinkable water is most likely somewhere nearby (being aware, though, some desert water is not drinkable). Springs, seeps, stock tanks (earthen dams built across periodic creeks or metal tanks fed by windmills on wells) are all possible. Cattle need water daily, so the survivors' time should have been spent looking for it, rather than messing around with a useless piece of spoiled hide. Arid environment livestock tends to stay near their water source.

- there are folks around somewhere. Cowboys, shepherds, etc., who may be a source of help (unless you are a Seal). Get high and scout for them. The dead animal looked fresh enough that its prints may still be visible, so backtracking the animal may well lead to people, water, or other cattle. Sand in desert arroyos will hold hoofprints for a long time.

- the cow looked in decent shape for a desert type, what killed it? Rattlers? Might be edible. Might be important to know, assuming the TV producers did not just pay someone to kill the steer for the sake of the show.

- a dead animal in the desert, or anywhere else really, will attract other animals. Although the steer would be unsafe to eat, visitors to the carcass might. Wait til evening nearby and predators would certainly arrive. Also, some animals are curious about their own dead, so other cattle might come by. Note: eating scavengers carries a certain risk of parasites.
    Also, cowboys might come by looking for the missing animal. They would certainly investigate a smell of rotting flesh. Lighting a smoky fire near the carcass could attract them even quicker.

- A point could have been made that any sickness in a true survival situation can be deadly. Even touching a dead animal like the steer carries a risk of all kinds of illnesses. In an arid environment, preserving fluids is the number one priority. Intestinal problems, bacterial infection, parasites, etc., can quickly lead to dehydration through loss of fluids that can't easily be replaced. Washing hands is not sufficient, since knife, boots, shirt, pants, other body parts, etc., would all be contaminated.

IMO

I would say that is a good summery of the situation and valid points......
    Thanks for posting....says I have to spread Rep around......

Very good points. I'll take care of the rep thing H63.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    oh...that Ruth.
    LOL
    Of course "That Ruth"....how many other Ruth's do you know on TV (or was) that would put up with being dragged around eating bugs, snakes, freezing cold, hot, dirty, drinking urine , (actually she didn't)......With out being a whinny.......LOL...Yeah, that my girl.