Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unpleasant experience with animal control

Default Unpleasant experience with animal control

Just had a rather annoying experience with my local sheriffs dept animal control.

Over the past 2 or 3 weeks i've almost crashed 2 times while alone, and one with a girl. A dog standing in the middle of the road at night that won't move. All three times we had to slam on the breaks and swerve. Looking back the dog continued to sit there and didn't move a muscle. So, I tried to pass messages along to the potential owners.

Now I live in farmland, so I doubt there are leash laws. And I understand there are sheep dogs. But this thing is going to get killed or cause someone to get killed. Today it was out in the road again. I had enough that the owner was still having it happen so I called animal control. After he went out and talked to them he passed me so I stopped to ask what happened.

While he didn't seem extremely rude, he seemed..hmm.. off putting. I don't know how to word it. MAybe rude. He said he talked to the owners, and quickly said people said it was the "towns dog" and that they are aware of it. I asked if anything would be done and he said no. His answer was "life happens". I asked what happens when that dog gets killed or someone has an accident, not very fair to it or the people that could get hurt. He followed this up with "that telephone pole right over there could fall on us right now, that's life."

Now to me that was a bit rude, there is a difference between a dog like that and a freak accident. The dog could be controlled and an accident prevented.

To make matters worse a farmer came over and started screaming at me for turning him in and flew off the handle and managed to make me look like a jackass telling the officer I do 100mph through a 25. I don't. I do go fast (60ish) it is unincorporated, cautionary signs say 55. So if they caution to slow down to 55 on turns I figure 60 is a safe number. The officer also said that I shouldn't be going more than 25mph. IDK what he's talking about there is about a 1/4 mile of road by houses that is 25 after that it is not. The farmer implied the entire town hates me and yada yada. They do not.

Am I just being overdramatic or an A hole? I really don't feel like getting a call at 3AM and having to respond an engine to one of my friends or family hurt/killed over a dog the owners could take responsibility for.

Well Randy, I had at one time a problem with the county dept. My daughter had a stray that was causing trouble in her area. I managed to catch it, and called them, he started giving me a song and dance about over time crap and such. I said ok well I'll just shoot it and everything will be alright. Well he was there in about 6-7 minutes. Turned out he was at the. County barn which was probably about a mile or so from us. This was about 3:30 or so and I figured he just didn't want to fool with the dog. By the way I sure wouldn't have shot the poor thing anyway, just did a good job of convincing him that I would. Lol. Have no idea what to tell you, other than to may be some night pick the dog up and take him to another shelter.

Bill
    NRA Life Patron Member
    Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club
    K9GDG

Every time an older person dies, its like burning a full set of encyclopedias that will never be published again. So, if you ever want to learn more of anything, just find a old tradesman and hang out with him and then when he passes on, not the full set will burn, you'll have parts of it to pass on to others.

Well DFG told me i'm free to shoot any untagged feral cat here, so at least I don't have that problem.

My uncle told me a story about animal control that made them sound equally as lazy as yours.

As far as picking him up he's actually skiddish around people on foot, and I heard he will bite if you force it.

My solution . slow down in location of said dog,, when sighted come to a stop.... remove firearm.... BANG dog gone..... leave note on carcass " That's Life"
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    My solution . slow down in location of said dog,, when sighted come to a stop.... remove firearm.... BANG dog gone..... leave note on carcass " That's Life"
    LMFAO. I actually felt anger building at your response up until "remove firearm" Hahaha!

I'm usually pretty heartless, but since i've got a dog i've developed a soft spot for dogs. Owners fault not his. But Maybe I should revert back to "sucks to be you dog" pow....

Randy I to am a Dog lover, but I have no issue putting down a stray down that poses a risk to mine or others safety. And I think a well placed shot is more human then laying in the road dying after being hit by a car.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Rent a large truck and run over the dog. No damage to your vehicle, the dog is no longer a problem, and when the owner gets mad you just shrug your shoulders and say, "I told you this might happen."

I'm just surprised animal control even showed up. When a pair of dogs came after me and my son and I had to pull my legally concealed weapon and shoot one of them and they both ran off, animal control said that if they had some time they might come around the next day and see if they could find the dog's body. I said that a vicious dog is running around now wounded and could potentially go after someone else they didn't seem to care. They never did show up the next day and never even called me back.
    If you can keep your head when all about you, are losing their's and blaming it on you. -Kipling

That's the goevm bureaucrats for you.😞
    NRA Life Patron Member
    Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club
    K9GDG

Every time an older person dies, its like burning a full set of encyclopedias that will never be published again. So, if you ever want to learn more of anything, just find a old tradesman and hang out with him and then when he passes on, not the full set will burn, you'll have parts of it to pass on to others.

Hummmm.....SSS....Shoot, Shovel and Shut up......
    I would be careful now as it seems you have been tagged as a trouble maker.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hunter. That tag was earned long ago.

You guys have a point. I think ill just leave it at from now on I just won't swerve and endanger me or my passengers lives.

One piece of advice. Do not welcome "the man" into your life.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    One piece of advice. Do not welcome "the man" into your life.
    Since I work with them somewhat often, and definitely run into them more often than that, I find it better to try and have prior positive experiences with them. That way when it's you or a dirtbags word, they tend to lean towards you from prior experience.

...or at least give you a head start...

Examples would be, shaking hands and kissing babies with officers and helping out when they need it. Such as a neighbor held up in a house and not having enough officers to cover all escape routes. Sure i'll sit here and watch this path, i'm on your side. I'd rather show them i'm willing to help in any way possible. If you think someone you're chasing could be hiding on my property, sure, we can go take a look. I've seen first hand when a cop has your name, he has your ***. Never seen a cop work so hard to find a stolen phone other than when he knew who had it and was looking for any reason to get at the dirtbag he hated.

All cops are just another person trying to earn a living. No better and no worse. You'll find the same group of horse's ###### in that profession as you will in any profession. You'll find the same group of slackers too. Just because they put on a uniform doesn't make them work harder or smarter. It just means they've chosen to go to war with the bad guys and they can't always tell who those are. I had my chance years ago and turned it down. They don't pay nearly well enough to deal with idiots and they sure don't pay well enough to deal with idiots with weapons.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Growing up in the sticks, I was taught at 15 that you don't swerve for critters in the road. Dogs are critters. Let your conscience be your guide.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

I have no problem shooting a menace to me or my family, be that bears or dogs. But I wouldn't go out of the way to shoot one for being in the road. But, same as Camp, we learned to not swerve for animals in the road. If it's in the road, it's going to be road kill. Too bad that dog has a crappy owner that doesn't keep him safe.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Poor dog just has a stupid owner. If it were me and the dog is in the same general area each time I'd just make a mental note to go slow around that spot. Ultimately though as much as I love dogs I put a higher value on human life than animal life. I will act accordingly.

Take the dog home. YOUR home.

Good advice, if no one wants it or is willing to care for it, take it home...I would...by the way, I am appalled to hear about the sheriff and animal control guys...I thought such people only exists in Malaysia.....!!
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

slow down and drive the speed limit, maybe the dog will disappear and everyone will be happy.

I have vehicles speeding on my road all day and all night long. Two times I spoke with LEO's and both times they responded with "everyone on this road is a local, its ok". Both times we spoke happened to be at an accident where one of the drivers was speeding, lost control and medical assistance was needed so I pointed to the blood and said, "I dont think that person cares whether or not the guy that hit him is a local and nether does his doctor...

After more research I learned that politics has everything to do with my problem not getting resolved and it most likely never will.

Your problem is speeding and you can control that if you choose to.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    slow down and drive the speed limit, maybe the dog will disappear and everyone will be happy.

I have vehicles speeding on my road all day and all night long. Two times I spoke with LEO's and both times they responded with "everyone on this road is a local, its ok". Both times we spoke happened to be at an accident where one of the drivers was speeding, lost control and medical assistance was needed so I pointed to the blood and said, "I dont think that person cares whether or not the guy that hit him is a local and nether does his doctor...

After more research I learned that politics has everything to do with my problem not getting resolved and it most likely never will.

Your problem is speeding and you can control that if you choose to.
    Does that mean the dog is attracted to fast cars ?
    Was there a stray dog there that caused that accident?
    Last edited by welderguy; 07-01-2014 at 02:42 PM.