Thread: I've reached a conclusion...

Default I've reached a conclusion...

AND HERE IT IS...I have many knives and each one has served a purpose. I have gone thru different phases of knife preferences and fluctuations. I have come to a conclusion...nothing is best. The search continues ad nauseum...

So I guess nothing really matters...what I have in my possession at the time of need is what I'll make my best.

Any thoughts?

DomC
    Last edited by DomC; 02-17-2014 at 03:36 PM.
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

Quote Originally Posted by DomC View Post
    " ... So I guess nothing really matters...what I have in my possession at the time of need is what I'll make my best. ..." DomC
    Sounds like a plan to me.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

We all wander thru life looking for the idea/perfect/best......what ever........and we all get sucked into the vortex.......marketing.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    We all wander thru life looking for the idea/perfect/best......what ever........and we all get sucked into the vortex.......marketing.
    That is sage wisdom...me likes!

DomC
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

.....and if you don't spend it....DW or kids will......
    One can never have too many tools, guns, trailers, tents, boats, boots, camo outfits, trucks, packs, knives.........gear in general.
    Just don't keep everything in one place....that way no one know how many of what you have
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

This is a bit of an odd thing as no knife is perfect for "every" situation so I have ended up treating buying knives a bit like I do clothes shopping (something I am not that keen on). I find something that is well made, fit for the use its intended for and comfortable (in this case in the hand) then I buy 5 or 6 of them and store some away so if I find that one (of whatever) is starting to get a bit worn out I can just get another one identical out of storage.

Vac-sealing is great for just about anything you want to store long term and compacts clothes down to a size that will astonish you.
    Politicians are animals. They have the sexual mores of a rutting stag, the integrity of a weasel, the morals of an alley cat and the sense of preservation of a snail in a thunderstorm. (Brian J. Clarke, "The American Disaster")

I always find when it comes to knives, simple designs work best for me. A good straight handle that is big enough to fit my extra large paws and a simple blade preferably of high carbon steel with a simple profile like a spearpoint is all I need. I hate and do not need serated edges, exotic blade/handle designs, tanto points, venom green zombie garbage etc etc. Don't like painted or coated blades either and usually use paint stripper to remove it if I get a knife with it. Anyway, the perfect blade for me will be a simple blade !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

knives are like hammers, there's a different one for every task.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by Evis Raptor
    Vac-sealing is great for just about anything you want to store long term and compacts clothes down to a size that will astonish you.

Take the clothes off first. Don't ask me how I know.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Geez Rick, I hope you didn't try it with a hat.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Take the clothes off first. Don't ask me how I know. [/COLOR]
    Well now!!!!!! this may explain more than a few of the things I have read that where written by you my good sir
    Politicians are animals. They have the sexual mores of a rutting stag, the integrity of a weasel, the morals of an alley cat and the sense of preservation of a snail in a thunderstorm. (Brian J. Clarke, "The American Disaster")

Quote Originally Posted by Randy
    Geez Rick, I hope you didn't try it with a hat.

Naaaah. My head's too big for a hat let alone a vacuum bag.

Quote Originally Posted by EvisRaptor
    this may explain more than a few of the things I have read that where written by you my good sir

'Zactly...hey....wait a minute.......
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Just a medium sized non serrated blade is all I need, well except for my stash handle Rambo knife, nothing competes with that

Short of the stash handle Rambo Knife...which is a requirement for any collection, I came to the same conclusion years ago, any quality knife usually makes the owner happy and serves it's purpose, I think the need for a large collection of knives is really more of a want, if we will just admit it, same goes for guns, bows, fishing poles, golf clubs, etc. You can get buy with one or two of each by what fun is that?
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/