Thread: Identify this plant found growing by a small stream in Indiana

Default Identify this plant found growing by a small stream in Indiana

0902131842.jpg0902131842.jpg0902131842.jpg0902131842.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a green dragon to me!

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture...nd-fiery-seeds

I don't think they're edible.

First guess looking at first pic would be "Jack - in - the - Pulpit", Arisaema triphyllum
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

I was also thinking Jack in the pulpit.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I dunno, I am still leaning towards green dragon. Jack-in-the-pulpit, Arisaema triphyllum, has three palmate leaves but green dragon, Arisaema dracontium, has five+ unequal leaflets on a single leaf stem. It looks like from the close up of the leaves that there are more than three leaflets.
    Either way, the two plants are related so they are indeed very similar!

I said that wasn't Jack in my first rendition of this post because of the leaves. But the more I look at those pics the more I'm wondering if the upper and lower pics are two different plants. The upper pic appears to have 3 leaves. In that case I'd have to go with Jack in the Pulpit. But is does look like trillium before the pulpit comes out.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I agree with MAMA and Rick, Hard to tell.

I'm still hesitant to say with any certainty it's JACK. The photo was not taken with the intention of isolating the plant from surrounding vegetation. It "looks" like the red seed cluster at one time was a vertical stalk that had bent from the weight of the cluster. Jack has a tendency to do that but the bend is not clearly visible. The leaves shown are not straight on so I'm having difficulty identifying three palmate leaves or more. The leaf shape does seem to be more consistent with Green Dragon.

rodjshe

It ultimately your call to look at the suggestions on identifying the plant and making a positive ID. Since you are the one who is in the location and has observed the plant beyond the few photos posted, you are best qualified to answer the question. What do you think? I hope this isn't an ask and run.
    Last edited by gryffynklm; 02-17-2014 at 11:32 AM.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.