Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Off Grid Clothes washing.

great vid.
    Last edited by sjj; 02-23-2014 at 07:37 AM.

I agree. Love his vids.

I often wondered if a chamois wringer car detailers use would be large enough for wringing out clothes. I've often wondered if a chamois wringer would work well for wringing brained hides.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

i've been told several times that washing machines work good for clean clothes. I've found that to be true. I prefer a box with ribs on the bottom with a 1/4 drain hole because it is the method I have learned by watching others. I'm sure each persons method works well for them. I have found that a picnic table works fairly good with a big brush in a pinch. The clothes stick well to the table allowing you to see and scrub dirty areas. Similiar to how a fish or a piece of meat will stick to a wooden cleaning table allowing you to clean it. Unlike a plastic or metal cleaning table where the fish slips around making it harder to control.
    I'm not much for wringing clothes very hard since I'm lazy in that way. I've been criticized for that. I do like barbed wire to hang the clothes on making clothes pins unnecessary. I've never seen the clothes damaged on the barbed wire.

Quote Originally Posted by edr730 View Post
    i've been told several times that washing machines work good for clean clothes. I've found that to be true. I prefer a box with ribs on the bottom with a 1/4 drain hole because it is the method I have learned by watching others. I'm sure each persons method works well for them. I have found that a picnic table works fairly good with a big brush in a pinch. The clothes stick well to the table allowing you to see and scrub dirty areas. Similiar to how a fish or a piece of meat will stick to a wooden cleaning table allowing you to clean it. Unlike a plastic or metal cleaning table where the fish slips around making it harder to control.
    I'm not much for wringing clothes very hard since I'm lazy in that way. I've been criticized for that. I do like barbed wire to hang the clothes on making clothes pins unnecessary. I've never seen the clothes damaged on the barbed wire.
    Good post.......Thanks
    Every once in a while a post comes along, showing a "Been there done that, works pretty good and is simple" approach.
    This is one where you say .....Yeah, that sounds right.

Barbed wire also works well for drying duck hunting clothes after you fall in.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

This other thread has a 5 gal bucket washer in it.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...660#post425660

If a bucket has a tight lid, it could be shaken just as well rather than a plunger.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    If a bucket has a tight lid, it could be shaken just as well rather than a plunger.
    Oh but you know, with my diminished capacity, being a female and all, I don't think I could shake it very well if it were full of water.

Shake it, shake it like a polaroid picture...
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Buddy in the forest service tree planting crew.....Milk can in back of pickup......sloshing around all day.......

our property is in or about crater lake,oregon

i use to have a big old tin tub.we used it for washing clothes and for baths.
    i would use my washboard and tub and get down and scrub everyones clothes and hang them on all the bushes and trees
    all over the woods.finally hubby made me a clothes line.i felt very uptown.
    now that was in the 70's.
    now up to this day and age.i want so bad to put our dirty clothes in a garbage can -put some soap in the garbage can
    with water .put a lid on it and secure to the back of our truck and head to town.
    all the jostling about...to me would be a good way to wash clothes.
    hubby does poo poo this .
    so we are figuring on not using alot of clothes.
    he says we will get a washing machine.so i am for this.
    i still have my old washboard from the 70's.

These days I just find a crick , jump in fully clothed, get out and beat myself against a rock. Boom. Clean clothes, and clean me. Two birds with one stone. Haha.

our property is in or about crater lake,oregon

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
    These days I just find a crick , jump in fully clothed, get out and beat myself against a rock. Boom. Clean clothes, and clean me. Two birds with one stone. Haha.
    hee hee.RandyRhoads.now thats funny.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
    LOL....You know that does kinda work....At least I though so back in my "first moved out of the house, to a room for rent".
    Old guys at work (had work showers) use to laugh at me.....

Later found that Laundromats were full of young ladies that would get "helpful" when a young guy would just stuff everything into a washer at once......and take over.

BTW a lot of truck stops have Laundromats and showers reasonably priced......This was a Wednesday afternoon trip to town...early on at "The Place".....
    Shower up, wash clothes, dump garbage, stop at saloon for supper and a "few" cocktails.

In one of the barns there is a old maytag gas engine. One of those rigs with a kick start. Back when my wife was a kid they used a gas powered maytag. There is also a briggs and stratton with a kick start. Not sure if it's from a washing machine or not, it's olive drab.
    Last edited by randyt; 07-21-2014 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Oh but you know, with my diminished capacity, being a female and all, I don't think I could shake it very well if it were full of water.

Shake it, shake it like a polaroid picture...
    Works better if it's not full of water LOL

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    In one of the barns there is a old maytag gas engine. One of those rigs with a kick start. Back when my wife was a kid they used a gas powered maytag. There is also a briggs and stratton with a kick start. Not sure if it's from a washing machine or not, it's olive drab.
    Ya know, that does not surprise me at all......would have expected at least 2......

Why yes, my family invented the old saying "one is none, two is one" or "a pair and a spare" LOL.

Surprised you don't have one running the belt system in the shop......Oh yeah that was a car motor.....Nevermind.

I use a bucket and a small washboard... I shave off some Ivory soap with a cheese grater, get the water good and soapy and scrub a dub.

Throw out wash water, put in rinse water, rinse and ring.

Hand on a line to dry.

Works 100% every time.

I am saving up for a commercial mop bucket with the crush ringer to more effectively get the water out.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Genuine-Jo...black/19245608

EB