Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best handy fishing bait ?

I remember seeing this quite some time ago...but have never tried it. They recommend multiple traps, and they look easy enough to make. I have successfully made crawfish traps and containers to keep them alive in, as well. But this is another thing to consider when hunting for bait.

http://sensiblesurvival.blogspot.com...r-plastic.html
    The Heavenly Warrior Defeats the Beast

11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war. 12 His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
    Ok,those are all good answers and will be helpful to anyone reading this.Here is something to chew on,I will call it,Guess the bait.What bait is good to catch fish,everyone has it,some have more than others,everyone always has some with them,if you run out,you can get more for free.You can loan some to your buddy,and they can loan some to you.This bait has been around for generations,yet has never been marketed to the public.This bait requires no Refridgeration,it never spoils,in fact,this bait only gets better with age.this bait has no known function ( other than a fish bait).this bait will work whether ice fishing or open water.This bait works very well on small to medium fish as well as for crawdads.This bait is easy to carry yet during strenuous exertion can cause labored breathing.This bait is self contained for a no muss,no fuss experience.I could go on and on about this wounderous miracle bait,but now it's your turn,can anyone guess what this bait is?
    It sounds like a bait that is contained within/on your body somewhere...but I don't know what it is.

11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war. 12 His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself

I have built several types of minnow traps. Caught all manner of bait in them from minnows, sunfish, crawfish and even caught a Greater Siren.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Whitehorse,you are correct,I will give one more hint that should give it away.Hint- you can't get kids to eat brussesprouts,but they will freely eat these.

Are they boogers?

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    Are they boogers?

Boy I sure hope not...

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
    .Here is something to chew on...

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    Are they boogers?
    You are correct,boogers are Gods gift for survival fish bait.It only takes one to get you started!

If you want something that wont spoil. Get a can of hole corn small fish and trout, suckers and carp love it.

I always recommend and carry flies in my fishing kit. No bait required, and most fish love them.

Ex Lax is the best bait ever created for fishing!

You crumble it up and cast it into the water, and when the fish crawl out on the bank to take a dump, you hit them with a stick

I will second the poster that mentioned grasshoppers. I have never found a better bait that can be easily harvested in the field (even above 10,000'). You can even eat whatever you have left (just make sure to cook 'em as they can carry parasites. Tapeworm as I recall...)

Quote Originally Posted by Rangefinder View Post
    When nothing else is to be had, nip about an inch or so of 550 cord and thread it on like a worm up and over the eye. Then fray out the tail over the hook. It makes a convincing "bug" in a pinch. I've caught everything from bass to trout and perch on them.
    Attachment 9803
    That is good to know.

Back to the OP. I would go search rotting tree stumps and logs for bugs to use for bait. I like to find nice big grubs, and thread them on my hook.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangefinder View Post
    When nothing else is to be had, nip about an inch or so of 550 cord and thread it on like a worm up and over the eye. Then fray out the tail over the hook. It makes a convincing "bug" in a pinch. I've caught everything from bass to trout and perch on them.
    Attachment 9803
    Man! That's brilient!

Yep..good practice on the paracord as bait...another is a minnow or a shrimp crab if you only have a mineral bottle made of plastic, simply cut one third of the top of the bottle, turn it around and reverse the part with the top inside, secure it to stream bed with rocks....and come back after 4 hrs.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Banned

Default Technique, understand the fish

I have found that there is really no magic bait. I have unexpectedly caught bass and crappie on fish guts and rotting chicken liver (was expecting catfish). What really makes a difference is technique and timing, fish feed on cycles and can be triggered to strike both artificial and real bait. Anything flexible like a silicone strip or natural plant fiber "wacky rigged" so that it has maximum "action" and positioned just in front of where you expect the game fish to be can get it to strike. If you have masked your scent with insect/fish/animal oils the fish will not spit it out as fast giving you a second or more to set the hook. While fishing in clear water of the Frio River once I carefully wiggled a wacky rigged soft plastic stick bait in front of a black bass for almost 15 minutes before she struck it then spit it out in about 1.5 seconds. Very educational.

Hmm another option would be brightly colored plastic. I've heard of it working and read about it a couple times, but I've never tried it.
    Last edited by Adventure Wolf; 11-25-2014 at 12:32 AM.

Shuuuuuush....secret stuff.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Ex Lax is the best bait ever created for fishing!

You crumble it up and cast it into the water, and when the fish crawl out on the bank to take a dump, you hit them with a stick
    Shuuuuuush....secret stuff.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Default Rubber band on dry fly hook

A rubber band tied to a small hook (size 10 down to 24) can work almost as well as those rubber/silicone legs sold in fly shops. I especially like thin wire "dry fly" hooks for best action. Often use a brass swivel as weight instead of split shot which can weaken light tippet. Also if light may float up if tied about 12-18" from weight. Good for trout and sun fish etc but I have also caught bass, crappie, catfish and sucker fish with this rig.

Banned

Default favorite small fish bait if I'm hungry, not sport fishing

Berkley's Floating Trout worms wacky rigged on a dry fly hook are one of the easiest methods of catching trout, pan fish and small bass I have found. There are many variations to this method, weedless or not, with a weight or just floating on the surface, or sinking slowly by the weight of the hook etc etc. Weight added to line foot from the hook or wire run into the soft plastic, centered or one end. I prefer to place hook at weighted center of worm, keep weight 18" before or after hook, cast it at seam in stream where fast and slow water meet. But there are many other brands and natural alternatives to this bait, stem of leaf such as willow can work if you get the technique down, dried guts/skin from dead squirrel or fish. Here are some helpful links:

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/Power...efault,pd.html

http://www.bassfishingandcatching.co...m-fishing.html

As most experience fishermen will tell you, the bright colors generally work better in low light and stained/muddy waters but in very clear waters the more natural colors may be less likely to spook the fish or cause them to think it is just trash or plant blooms they normally do not eat. However, some caddis nymphs are bright colors like chartreuse so you never know. Best to lift some rocks and aquatic plants and find out what types of nymphs are living there. I once got stung by a aquatic bug that felt like a bumble bee, but the swelling went down after 2 hours, so no big deal. Then when you catch 1st fish, inspect its digestive system to see what it has been eating and adjust accordingly.

When sport fishing, I prefer caddis dry flies and a light fly rod, such as 3 weight. Or whatever the hatch is.
    Major hatch is on, I will catch more with wet caddis fly than with plastic worm. If not plastic worm down deeper.