Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What to plant...

Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
    I've heard of these - I thought about planting some simply because they seem so easy to care for. But doing research on it I read the fiber in them wasn't exactly "digestible" and could result in tummy issues mainly horrid gas. Although people still do eat it so maybe it doesn't affect everyone?
    I've eaten them once, at a fancy restaurant, it was a mashed potato like preparation, I'm sure equal parts butter and sunchoke (other name for them) in it. Delicious, no digestion problems. Besides, such an issue wouldn't stop you from planting beans would it?

Jerusalem Artichokes,....Be aware they are invasive.
    Never had a problem eating them like potatoes.....real PITA to peel all sorta crooked and knobby....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Lol

Sent from my N861 using Tapatalk
    Cheer up, the worst is yet to come.

It is a perennial crop, that can be invasive, requires little care, native to north america.... animal feed? Plant some in an out of the way place, turn it into bacon. Sometimes invasive is good, it means the plant grows with little help from you.

I'm planting a field in milkweed, for the monarchs.

That's cool

Here we dont plant milkweed. It just... appears.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
    I've heard of these - I thought about planting some simply because they seem so easy to care for. But doing research on it I read the fiber in them wasn't exactly "digestible" and could result in tummy issues mainly horrid gas. Although people still do eat it so maybe it doesn't affect everyone?
    They're called 'Fartichokes' for good reason. If you can stand trumping for your country, they're a good crop to grow, I have some for a wind break (can'teat them myself). The allotment is very exposed.
    They do make good fodder though, my Goats used to fight over them.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    They're called 'Fartichokes' for good reason. If you can stand trumping for your country, they're a good crop to grow, I have some for a wind break (can'teat them myself). The allotment is very exposed.
    They do make good fodder though, my Goats used to fight over them.
    Now that right there is funny. I don't care who you are.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You guys crack me up!!

You will get pretty hungry the first year gardening what you will eat.Like one poster said,crops all come at different times.You live on your previous years garden( canning/ freezing/ drying) while you plant/ harvest and save the second year garden and so on.Anything you eat as you grow should be surplus harvest,not your wintering supply.

Blog Entries

My list this year is:

Runner Beans (eating fresh), Dwarf French Beans(canning), Haricot Beans(drying), Crookneck Squash(eating fresh, freezing), Winter squash(storing), Onions, Peas(eat fresh and freeze), 1st early Potatoes(eating fresh only), Tomatoes, 2 varieties a salad to eat fresh/dehydrate, Plum type to can/freeze, Pickling type Cucumber, Sweetcorn(eat fresh) and Popping Corn(store), Beets, Collards(eat fesh), Brussels Sprouts(eat fresh), Curly Kale(eat fresh), Broccoli(eat fresh, freeze), Lettuce, Leeks(eat fresh), Peppers and Chillies(eat fresh, freeze and dehydrate).
    Fruit Raspberries, Strawberries, Gooseberries, Currants, Tayberries. I also have some fruit trees in that are too young to fruit this year. Also an Asparagus bed has just been planted but won't produce this year.

A lot of the above will also be pickled and fermented

I'm also trying Oca. This is a root crop similar to Potatoes that is harvested late in the year and from the tubers I have, stores well.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Sounds like a busy garden time for you, Winnie.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Yes indeed, I have to stay out of trouble somehow.

I would take an inventory of what you and your family like and then research on what is the most nutritious from those and then concentrate on planting more of those crops. Never waste time and space planting things no one will eat or have little food value. Also, some root crops are easier to store without benefit of electricity. Fruits are good too but trees take time to mature especially in poor soil. I would love to have several apple, peach, and pear trees but my soil is so poor it will barely grow grass ! I once lived in town with a small lot that excellent soild. I was dark rich soil with a very generous population of night crawlers and I planted 2 peach seedlings in it that were full of large juicy peaches in the 4th year - sure would like to have 100 acres of soil like that !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp