Thread: Quinzee 2014

Default Quinzee 2014

Hey guys! It's been a while!

Just thought you might be interested in seeing this year's winter-shelter that we built at my father's chalet, on the frozen lake:
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

We made two quinzees and linked them with a tunnel. The right-most one was the cooking one, the left one was for sleeping.

Here is what it looked like with a fire inside:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...64066730_o.jpg
    We started the fire with a magnesium bar and a flint. It took us 5 attempts to get it going.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...82261605_n.jpg

We started around 11am, and finished around 7pm. We were four to shovel like mad-men!

The fire smoked us out because we hadn't done a big enough hole through the roof. And I think it should've been higher, and probably larger too, to allow for better air circulation.
    Last edited by payne; 02-08-2014 at 02:20 AM.

Nice job. I'm pretty certain if I had done that the roof would have collapsed, I would have suffered from smoke inhalation and the fire would have melted through the lake so I would have been all wet.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Good to hear from ya.....see you are still at it.

A fire in an quinzee ....?
    Is that a normal thing to do?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    A fire in an quinzee ....?
    Is that a normal thing to do?
    Probably not.
    We had a few (small) pieces of the roof that fell off due to being melted off. We also had a hole that formed through the wall (you can see it on the quinzee to the right). The main problem was the smoke though.

ya me and some buddys also built one, its pretty big in my opinion, could prob fit like 4 people comfortably, maybe i'll take some pics and put em up

Great job!
    11am to 7pm? You deserve a medal just for keeping at it that long. The rest is just fine-tuning...you'll figure it out.
    It's nice to see you back, payne!

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Great job!
    11am to 7pm? You deserve a medal just for keeping at it that long. The rest is just fine-tuning...you'll figure it out.
    It's nice to see you back, payne!
    If it wasn't 9pm, I can't remember!
    That'd be my second medal given to me on this website!

Also, it's nice to be back.
    "Unfortunately", once I leave in spring, I probably won't be coming back for at least a year or two I would say: I will be travelling across the world (following the epic kayak trip planned, I am supposed to hitch to South America, and then find a boat to go to Africa, to then hitch to Europe and then China!).

Good for you, payne! It's what most of us working grunts day dream of doing.

Quote Originally Posted by payne View Post
    If it wasn't 9pm, I can't remember!
    That'd be my second medal given to me on this website!

Also, it's nice to be back.
    "Unfortunately", once I leave in spring, I probably won't be coming back for at least a year or two I would say: I will be travelling across the world (following the epic kayak trip planned, I am supposed to hitch to South America, and then find a boat to go to Africa, to then hitch to Europe and then China!).
    You know, we often hear statements like that and poo poo them as wishful thinking of a youngster.

I have no drought that you can back up those statements, and wish you well........

It also goes to show you that the doers are not the ones sitting at a computer, but those out there doing it, and don't have time to sit around and talk about it.

Thank you,....... for taking the time to include us in your travels.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You know, we often hear statements like that and poo poo them as wishful thinking of a youngster.

I have no drought that you can back up those statements, and wish you well........

It also goes to show you that the doers are not the ones sitting at a computer, but those out there doing it, and don't have time to sit around and talk about it.

Thank you,....... for taking the time to include us in your travels.
    A man of words!
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...l=1#post378909
    It is certainally refershing to see one in 100 actually do what he said he was going to do....asked advice, took it, and continued on.
    Some things he found out didn't work, some things did, but still pressed on, with a little thought, planning and even the ability to laugh at himself a little.

Kudos young man,...You will go far.
    As Grizz says to Jeremiah, "Come far, Pilgrim...." ...... Jeremiah, "Seems far..."
    Thanks for your support, everyone!

I would say try a lamp or candle next time. You don't need a huge fire in a quinzee. But man....great job. And great to see you back. And hunters right. If anyone else told us those trip plans, I wouldn't believe them. But I believe you can do it. I look forward to the pictures on that amazing adventure.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    I would say try a lamp or candle next time. You don't need a huge fire in a quinzee.
    We wanted to cook on fire. We decided to make it fancy.