Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where do I go from here?

Default where do I go from here?

I've been having troubles with my right hand and wrist. The first visit to the doc determined it was arthritis. A month later determined it is "necrosis" of the wrist joint. This is basically the bone dying due to blood flow loss. Still at the start of all this but it has me concerned. This is really a minor bump compared to some troubles folks have. My two concerns are using a hammer and shooting a handgun. I may get serious about a power hammer for blacksmithing.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Randy, Hope your wrist heals quick.

The type of hammer and how you hold it in forging is critical to avoid damage to your wrist elbow, shoddier, and neck. If your are holding the hammer in a death grip when it strikes the metal the shock travels up the arm and through the body.

I was taught to choose hammers that had a bulge in the middle of the handle. This is were I grip the handle The taper allows me to hold the hammer securely with less squeeze. The hand is holding the hammer more to keep it from slipping out of the hand then pushing the hammer into the metal. It is the fall and speed of the hammer that does the moving of the metal. I was having problems and was fatigued faster before I changed my hammer technique. For every blacksmith there are multiple thoughts on hammer technique no right or wrong i guess. This is what helps me. Discomfort after hammering went away after I changed how I hammer.

Notice the hammer below have the bulge. These are from Hoffman's Forge in PA. Amazing work great folks. http://www.hoffmansforge.com/

I bought one for my son and he really likes it. Its his go to forging hammer.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by gryffynklm; 01-25-2014 at 09:20 AM.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Karl, thanks for the thoughts. I'll look into those hammers. I don't think fatigue is a issue, more like arthritis times ten but every advantage will help.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

It is less the hammer and more how you use the hammer. The square face allows you to strike with the corner moving more material. The shape of the handle bulged at the center allows a lighter grip helping to keep the shock from traveling up the arm. The wrist takes a lot of the shock. The tighter you grip the hammerer the more shock hits the wrist from the strike. I'm trying to find a video to demonstrate what I'm trying to describe.

This comes close at 5 min he discusses the grip.
    Last edited by gryffynklm; 01-25-2014 at 04:53 PM.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Very useful information - thanks.

thanks for the video, I won't be able to watch it until morning. That's the only time youtube works for me.

Learning to shoot left handed isn't all that difficult. I'm right handed but am left-eyed. I actually shoot better with my left hand.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Randy - Talk to you doc about Kienbock's disease. It's necrosis of the lunate bone in the wrist. If left untreated the lunate bone can completely disintegrate deforming the shape of the hand. If that is what he has diagnosed then there are several options in the early stages including restoring the blood supply and bone grafts. But if left untreated you can wind up with a fused wrist. Good luck and keep us informed!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

thanks for the comments. I'll run keinbock by the Dr... Monday I'm going in for a ct scan and then Wednesday back to the Dr. It's really weird, I hit my elbow three months ago and that evening my hand/wrist hurt like the dickens. They say there is no connection between the two.

Wow..... I have no idea what to say. I will just pass on a few prayers for you. Keep is updated my friend. Hopefully, the docs can find a way to keep you together.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    thanks for the comments. I'll run keinbock by the Dr... Monday I'm going in for a ct scan and then Wednesday back to the Dr. It's really weird, I hit my elbow three months ago and that evening my hand/wrist hurt like the dickens. They say there is no connection between the two.
    It doesn't sound coincidental. If they are doing a CT scan then have them do the whole forearm including the elbow. Keep talking until someone listens. If the problem did start there you don't want them to finally figure it out when it's too late to fix it.
    There are a lot of nerve and muscle connections in the upper arm and forearm that can affect the hand.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

I hope they get you fixed up, Randy. It sounds like nothing to mess with. A power hammer would be a good idea in any event, lots you can do with one. For now, you probably could use some practice shooting weak hand anyways (I know I do!).

Good luck!

Blog Entries

Yep. Arthritis in my trigger finger, too.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlup View Post
    It doesn't sound coincidental. If they are doing a CT scan then have them do the whole forearm including the elbow. Keep talking until someone listens. If the problem did start there you don't want them to finally figure it out when it's too late to fix it.
    There are a lot of nerve and muscle connections in the upper arm and forearm that can affect the hand.
    Cowgirl is right. I would not just take one Doc's word for it. If they do not do your whole arm, I would go to someone else. Also see about having a test (not sure what it's called) of the blood flow through your neck. As always good luck and I hope they find out what's wrong.

Bill
    NRA Life Patron Member
    Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club
    K9GDG

Every time an older person dies, its like burning a full set of encyclopedias that will never be published again. So, if you ever want to learn more of anything, just find a old tradesman and hang out with him and then when he passes on, not the full set will burn, you'll have parts of it to pass on to others.

That's not good, and finding out that you can't do things as you have done all your life is even worst.

Hang in there, man.......

Karl, thanks for the hammer info, I had no idea on the handles.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

thanks for the comments so far I can still do what I have always done or close. Haven't been able to crank out any one armed chin ups lately. I think that's really due to older age than anything else. I am concerned what a big bore handgun would do to my wrist at this point. Hopefully it can be taken care of. I may have to pull a doc holliday and take to carrying a shotgun.

For pain relief, try acupuncture if there is one in your area. I am very bow-legged, and my knees are bone on bone is more than one place, I started going to a practitioner here, and with in a month I was walking like I never had a problem. I have gone to her for three years, and as far as the pain goes no problems at all. My insurance used to just give me a copay, but now we have a $4000 deductible so I'm not going for a while. I have had her treat me for many problems from stress, my knees to migraines. I just saying that for pain relief, not a cure, it works.

Randy, I hope you have a good hand surgeon in your area, when I was 19, I was burned in the middle of the underside of my right arm, between the wrist and elbow. Adhesions (scar tissue) grew from the burn itself, and around the bone in my arm, cutting off the blood supply, and basically killing the muscle and nerve. The fingers of my hand drew down into a permanent fist, and pulling inward towards the burned area, they could no longer forcefully pull or stretch my fingers straight in physical therapy, and the flesh on my hand wasted away due to blood loss, and the therapist referred me to Klienert and Kutz in Louisville, pioneers in hand surgery. They went in and removed the scar tissue, and grafted my own muscle and nerve tissue from the back of my elbow to where it was damaged. It took 4 months before there was any type of noticeable difference. Request a referral to and hand surgeon, don't settle for anything less. My physical therapist referred me, and he was very po'ed my the physician for not doing it when the accident happened, but he and U of L hospital both agreed that when the swelling in my arm went down then my hand would be fine....p.s. I learned I am a much better shot left handed, than I ever was right handed, and it seems way more natural to me to shoot as a lefty.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

thanks for the comments. I'm dealing with a orthopedic surgeon that has a good reputation. and many years of experience. I'm hoping for the best.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Oh good luck and hope you get some answers soon.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!