Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Be honest - How many have been successful with a Bow-Drill?

Quote Originally Posted by tjwilhelm View Post

I have a few how-to videos I posted on a former and unmentionable survival forum. I have another one showing myself with a group of guys tag-teaming a wet bow drill set in the rain.
    Are you referring to ST? I miss that place. I hope you're mending well, TJW.

I have had consistent success with Coastal Plain Willow for the bow, drill and board. I had quite a learning curve. I would try and then come back and re-watch other people's videos. I would see or hear something that I had overlooked and then would try again.

I have also tried Cabbage Palm and got lots of smoke but no ember. I need to work on that still and some other woods also.

I was able to walk my brother-in-law's girlfriend through the process her first ever try and she got fire. She has a video of that on her facebook. But, I'll be damned if I can figure out how to download the video.

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

everytime i make a fire with a fire bow
    i throw away everything except the spindle ( i always keep my spindles )

this way i'm trying different woods for the fire bow and such
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

I learned a few years ago how to do it. It took months and many many attempts before I finally got an ember. Now, I understand the process so it takes about 30 seconds and I have success every time. It is my main fire starting method when in the bush.

One with the Wilderness Rangefinder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
    My favorite technique is the bow drill.After experimenting with different combos,I settled on two types of wood that work very well for me.For the drill I found that dry yucca stalk is nearly perfect.The stalk is hollow filled with pith,this pith along with the woody stalk make great dust.For the fire board,I found poplar slats,boards or split limbs are just the ticket.One last thing,other than getting the notch correct,I have good luck not using the bow in a rapid stroke,but a long steady even paced stoke as the smoke starts seems to work the best.During one of my survival courses,the students timed me on how quickly I could get spark.I succeeded getting spark in 15 seconds,Pehaps not a world record,but proving that the bow drill is a very fast and good way to start a fire.
    What also works well is Mullen stock, for the same reason. (I love using yucca, but it's not an easy find in CO ). It can be done using JUST stalk--one piece for the drill and two pieces lashed together for the hearth, but often as not you wear a hole right through the hearth stalks before getting a suitable ember. If it's available (and always seems to be around here), a cedar or juniper hearth works very well. I can't say I've actually timed the process, but from the time I start making the hearth and drill after scavenging the right materials, I can usually have flames within 10 to 15 minutes. Depends on a few factors--as most things do in this type of thing--but generally pretty reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
    I have successfully avoided trying a bow drill fire.
    Totally agree with you Pete!!!!

I wouldn't even try. Know I could not do it. And as for primitive, I think that fat wood and spark would probably be the grand daddy of all fire starters. Bow and drill is too hit n miss. If a person did accomplish it they would not be able to repeat it reliably, what with trying to survive and all. fat wood does not fail.
    Last edited by sofasurfer; 02-02-2014 at 04:42 AM.

That assuming you can find fatwood in the location needed......or bring it with you? and if that what you are gonna do, bring a lighter.....LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

If you believe that you cannot do something, you are probably right.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Prepper

Failed every time so far. I'll keep trying though. Not because it could be handy to know but because I refuse to let some sticks and string beat me.

I watched a a movie the other day depicting life in the late 1700's. In the movie they were using fire for cooking, candles and lanterns for light. So, I questioned when were matches invented...

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....ore-the-match/

It's another example of how we have forgotten through easiness how something important to everyday enjoyment and existence has been erased.

I have not been successful in friction fire. I've produced smoke with no lasting ember to ignite my nest. It's been a while since I last tried and it's been on my list of things to accomplish.

Jump ahead after SHTF. No BIC lighters, no stormproof matches, no LMF firesteels, no gasoline, no manmade luxuries, etc. How do you start fires?

Man will have no choice but to revert back to primitive firemaking methods.

I need to rise to the ocassion and learn the bow drill and pass this on to my son...he'll need this skill/knowledge more than me...and so will yours.

DomC
    Last edited by DomC; 02-03-2014 at 09:39 AM.
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

Actually I was successful on my first try but have had several failures since - its all in the wood selection !

Although I have never tried it, it does take an extreme amount of patience and practice to master, although I have started a fire with the hand drill method and it felt a bit easier than a bow drill

I have gave it a try a few times and got some smoke! A very tiring task.

Quote Originally Posted by DomC View Post
    The high humidity of the Florida summers makes it difficult to say the least. Winter has lower humidity so it is viable. But I don't have the patience in my old age to rub two sticks together to get fire. When you young whippersnapers get to my age, you'll realize "simpler is better"...

DomC
    He he he, I hear ya Dom. I carry about four Bicks everywhere I go cause I'm get'n old too and I like lots of stuff, easier these days. Have a good one buddy. lb
    Have a super one...

larryb

http://larrybass.tripod.com/Surviving.html

Still Surviving, after all these years...

One with the Wilderness Rangefinder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LarryB View Post
    He he he, I hear ya Dom. I carry about four Bicks everywhere I go cause I'm get'n old too and I like lots of stuff, easier these days. Have a good one buddy. lb
    All right, ya old coot, you ain't fooling anyone--me at least. I SEE your profile photo. And believe you me, that fire steel is a much better option than ANY Bic lighter--especially up north where you are. You couldn't pay me to rely on a Bic in the wilderness. But the only time you'll catch me without a fire steel is when I'm in bed with my pants over the chair--same with a good knife. If I have my pants on, I'm carrying both.
    The most valuable thing to ever invest in is... KNOWLEDGE.

Where I PREFER to be is outside, someplace far away from modern madness. BUT, you can also find some accounts of such disappearances HERE: https://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa
    http://rescueropes.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Rangefinder View Post
    All right, ya old coot, you ain't fooling anyone--me at least. I SEE your profile photo. And believe you me, that fire steel is a much better option than ANY Bic lighter--especially up north where you are. You couldn't pay me to rely on a Bic in the wilderness. But the only time you'll catch me without a fire steel is when I'm in bed with my pants over the chair--same with a good knife. If I have my pants on, I'm carrying both.
    That's why he carries all those BIC lighters.

DomC

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

For those who believe fire with a bow drill is tiring are not getting something right.I carry a pre made kit minus the bow,I also carry a 6x6"piece of leather I use it to lay some dry fluff ( dryer lint,char cloth,or dry punk).I then place my pre prepped fire board on top of the fluff.My fire board has several prepared and Burnt notches,this saves time in a rushed situation.I find that I never have to speed up the stokes of the bow much once I see smoke.I begin with slow full bow strokes and only slightly speed up when smoke appears.By pre preparing all I need is a easily found bow,everything else is dry and ready,take it slow and always in controll.If you become winded you are doing things the hard way,long full bow steady stokes keep it under control and you will be successful,good luck

Perhaps but there are so many ways so much easier. If that weren't true mankind would not have invented so many ways to make fire. Lucifers are pretty darned easy. Remember too that if you are in a hypothermic situation you will most likely loose your motor skills. When you have trouble physically striking a match how much harder will it be to make friction fire? Finally, there are those of us that no longer have the shoulders to do that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.