Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lighting a fire with a magnifying glass?

Yup! Done it meself

I have a Fresnel Lens. It is a bit broken though. It makes PREDDY RAINBOWS!!!!

I've used a plastic cheapo kids magnifying glass that was only about 1 inch across to light a fire but usually use a small glass pocket magnifying glass. I find that it works best in dry climates with the sun high in the sky. I have used all natural materials and make a bird's nest just like I would for a bow drill. Once I get it smoking a little there is usually a small ember that I blow on and it gets it going. Never had flames spring up magically from it.

In times with higher humidity, in the later afternoon times, or with less than perfectly dry materials it can be more challenging. The prep of materials is a key factor.

It is by far the easiest way I have found to light a fire without matches, chemicals, or a lighter. It requires little energy or effort on my part. I carry the lens in my hiking pack because it works so well.
    If you can keep your head when all about you, are losing their's and blaming it on you. -Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by karatediver View Post
    I've used a plastic cheapo kids magnifying glass that was only about 1 inch across to light a fire but usually use a small glass pocket magnifying glass. I find that it works best in dry climates with the sun high in the sky. I have used all natural materials and make a bird's nest just like I would for a bow drill. Once I get it smoking a little there is usually a small ember that I blow on and it gets it going. Never had flames spring up magically from it.

In times with higher humidity, in the later afternoon times, or with less than perfectly dry materials it can be more challenging. The prep of materials is a key factor.

It is by far the easiest way I have found to light a fire without matches, chemicals, or a lighter. It requires little energy or effort on my part. I carry the lens in my hiking pack because it works so well.
    All of the criteria is that for me. I EVEN USE damn PAPERBARK!

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    When I was a kid, my dad had a fresnel lens the size of a piece of paper, 8.5 X 11. I could roast ants with it real easy. It was fun listening to them sizzle inside. I tried lighting fires with it, but was never successful. I didn't know the "trick" then.
    I also have a lens that big. It was for a color copier that I use to service. I hadn't tried to start a fire with it but you can have fun with them.

Bill
    NRA Life Patron Member
    Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club
    K9GDG

Every time an older person dies, its like burning a full set of encyclopedias that will never be published again. So, if you ever want to learn more of anything, just find a old tradesman and hang out with him and then when he passes on, not the full set will burn, you'll have parts of it to pass on to others.

You could even use it for self defense. If someone bothers you just hold it up to your eye. An eyeball that big is pretty scary.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by DomC View Post
    If you don't have charred material you can still start a fire with dry TINDER. The time of day will play a big role as the optimum brightness of the sun is between noon and 2 o'clock. During the winter the sun is farther south and it's difficult to focus the sun's rays. Sometimes it'll take up to ten minutes to reach the flashpoint temperature. Just have patience. You can up the odds as Kudos has said by using charred plant matter. I have found the color black absorbs the suns energy more readily. I experimented with white paper vs black paper and found the black paper lit faster. I used a black sharpie to color the paper. Another tip: I find that a glass lens works better than a plastic lens.

Remember this method technically works best when the sun is at its highest peak. Patience is the key. It is only one method and you should always have more than one method of fire starting. Always carry a BIC lighter for insurance. Be ready to survive. YMMV.

DomC
    Quote Originally Posted by Hntrofdmnds View Post
    I have only ever been able to produce smoke and kindling from magnifying glass fires, and the occasional spark, which I tried to light, but failed. How would I go about making a fire with a magnifying glass?
    try using straw like the stuff for animals nesting stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
    Little tip,the larger the diameter the lens,the more intense the concentrated sun light.I found a two inch lens will work all seasons very well.
    I agree I have a 3.5 inch that is glass and it works quite well but I used to have a 6 inch plastic one that was better (but the a couple months later I was burning ants and got my trampoline on fire and my mom broke it.)

UPDATE!!!!! UPDATE!!!!

I made charcoal glow pink, cotton is very good, coal smells awful, I made a fuse out of mulch fiber, and driftwood goes yellow. No fire though!

It's very much like blowing a coal from a friction fire into a flame.
    I've done it a few times. Also seems that the size of the magnifying glass is important.
    Size matters here.

Ah, fire's greatest enemies, fog and rain have come to town

Quote Originally Posted by letslearntogether47 View Post
    It's very much like blowing a coal from a friction fire into a flame.
    I've done it a few times. Also seems that the size of the magnifying glass is important.
    Size matters here.
    This is the best advice.....you are making a coal,......now you need to know how to make fire....
    Coal onto tinder bundle, blow till you have frame.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Here you go , get a bunch of that grass and rub it between your hands. A lot of it will turn to dust, the rest will be like little threads. save your dust and the theads till you have enough theads to make a small nest. about 4inches in diameter and 2 inches thick. now make a bigger nest out of the grass that you just made into a small nest, don't rub it between your hands. This big nest should be about 8 inches in diamiter and 4 inches thick. Now put your little nest in the big nest, and the dust in the little nest,you can't have too much dust. Now focus on the dust ,blowing gently when it starts smoking. When you see the dust becoming an ember, pick the whole thing up and genlte push it together and incese your blowing . Watch you face, it will burst into flame!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

I have had much better success with a half gallon jar of water than with a magnifying glass. i am talking about a successful fire, not just smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Hntrofdmnds View Post
    I have only ever been able to produce smoke and kindling from magnifying glass fires, and the occasional spark, which I tried to light, but failed. How would I go about making a fire with a magnifying glass?
    Use a Bic lighter - much easier !
    Last edited by Lamewolf; 02-24-2014 at 11:18 AM.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    Use a Bic lighter - much easier !
    Brilliant contribution to a thread LAMEwolf. Why don't all of the people who favor the Bic lighter as their ONLY way of making a fire start a thread of their own and they can get in a circle and jerk out their Bics and play together in their own little group.

This a hobby or pasttime for some of us and we carry Bics also. But, we enjoy starting fires using other methods of ignition.

Hey, I have an idea. I'll start a thread on archery and you can post just use a gun. How about I start a thread on wild edibles and you post that I should just go to the grocery store.

The people with the foresight to post such sage advise as using a Bic lighter in a thread like this... Oh, never mind.

I just can't believe you guys can't see how LAME replies like that really are!

LOL....Having bad day?....someone wiz in your Wheaties?.....but yeah I hear ya.

My favorites are in the firearms section, with the cliques,...and the fact that some one's wife only lets them have one firearm, as they bring it up no matter what is being discussed.

You did notice that comment was brought up by "Lamewolf" right.....?

Yeah, I know. I was a little over the top. But, does anyone really think people who practice bushcraft fires don't carry lighters?

I have heard....not seen. those that have made the statement.....
    I only use a fire steel to start my fires....or bow drill ..or what ever........
    That's pretty short sighted and a needless statement.....

WE DON"T CARE ...as long as the coffee is hot....there are no points, it's just you........

Now, now.....everybody calm down, sit by the fire (you pick how you want to start it) and relax.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    Yeah, I know. I was a little over the top. But, does anyone really think people who practice bushcraft fires don't carry lighters?
    A little over the top ? LOL Come on guys, I was only joking - didn't mean to insult the holy grail of fire starting or anything like that. I too use a bow drill, fire steel, flint and steel, and other means but most times I just use a Bic. I was just trying to "lighten" (pun intended) things up a bit, I've even started fires before using the spark from a sparkplug wire on my vehicle ! Sheesh !
    Last edited by Lamewolf; 02-24-2014 at 12:46 PM.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp