Thread: Fire!!!!!

Default Fire!!!!!

The Tot house had a small fire in our house tonight. This was a first for me.

I turned the oven on 450 to pre heat. Unbeknownst to me, there was some food under the heating element (electric oven) which caught fire. Wife grabbed me the extinguisher, but I used a spray bottle with water which was nearby to put the fire out. We then de-smoked by opening exterior doors and windows as well as turning on fans and box fans. We also closed doors to other rooms to prevent smoke from pouring into other areas of the house.

15 minutes later, we were back to normal, although it does kinda smell still. No loss of property or life and no fire dept. Heck, we even managed to not set off a smoke detector!!!!!

Today's lesson, inspect your ovens!!!!!!!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Glad every thing is all right, but if you needed to use fans to de-smoke the house, I would be suspect of the the smoke detectors if they didn't go off.

Glad everything is OK and that you didn't make tatertots out of the natertots. +1 on double checking the smoke detectors.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Happy that you contained it quickly. Scary that you used water on an electrical fire! I would have been toast if I had tried that!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Thanks guys! No smoke detectors in the kitchen though, and very little smoke made it into the living room. I did test the living room one anyway..... JIC.

Nell, it wasn't an electrical fire, it was the food that was on fire. I believe the little bit of food turned into char previously, then when the oven pre-heated to 450, it ignited.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Thanks guys! No smoke detectors in the kitchen though, and very little smoke made it into the living room. I did test the living room one anyway..... JIC.

Nell, it wasn't an electrical fire, it was the food that was on fire. I believe the little bit of food turned into char previously, then when the oven pre-heated to 450, it ignited.
    You need a smoke detector ( in our house they call it the dinner bell,LOL j/k) in the kitchen! Also change the batteries in the smoke detectors every 6 months but test often, best insurance ever. When my home burned a few years ago, I was in the bathroom bathing my grandson when the detector went off,so glad there was one in the kitchen.

Gotcha on the food!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Oh there's a bit of adrenaline dump huh? Glad you were able to get it out soon and there was no damage.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Thanks 1st. We used to have a SD in the kitchen, but we replaced it because cooking anything would set it off. Unfortunately, the same was true with the replacement. SD company said kitchens weren't recommended and fire dept agreed. So I left it down.

They make some now that are recommended for kitchens.

I'm glad everything turned out okay. Sure shakes up a dull evening, huh? Glad no one was hurt and glad you didn't loose any property. That might make a good lesson about wife take the kids outside and I'll battle the fire kinda thing. You just never know. Things can get out of hand quickly.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Close one huh?...
    Glad everything turned out for ya, no one needs to do that too often
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Nope. Not gonna say a word. Too easy.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.