Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Justifiable Police Shooting

Blog Entries

Default Justifiable Police Shooting

Justifiable police shooting caught on camera.

WARNING: GRAPHIC VIOLENCE!

“Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Suicide by cop...... It's sad for everyone. I feel the worse for the cop. He has the emotion of taking out a husband and father in front of his wife and daughter.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Suicide by cop...... It's sad for everyone. I feel the worse for the cop.
    This^.....

What an asshole...

WOW!! That was Uncalled for he does NOT need to be a cop any longer.
    He should have used non lethal means not his gun.
    Soon the whole world will be silky smooth

I'm sure five shot were necessary. Pepper spray or a shot to the leg would of worked IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Canoetripper View Post
    WOW!! That was Uncalled for he does NOT need to be a cop any longer.
    He should have used non lethal means not his gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Hynes View Post
    I'm sure five shot were necessary. Pepper spray or a shot to the leg would of worked IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I disagree with both of these statements. Here's why. Trying to resolve a lethal situation with non-lethal means will often end in a lethal encounter for the person trying to employee those non-lethal means. You don't shoot to wound, you shoot to remove the threat - period.

Tragic as this case is, the cop IMO did everything he could to diffuse the situation and still go home to his family.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I disagree with both of these statements. Here's why. Trying to resolve a lethal situation with non-lethal means will often end in a lethal encounter for the person trying to employee those non-lethal means. You don't shoot to wound, you shoot to remove the threat - period.

Tragic as this case is, the cop IMO did everything he could to diffuse the situation and still go home to his family.
    Exactly. That's how I was trained in the academy. The cop identified himself repeatedly, ordered the person repeatedly, he backed up and the suspect kept advancing, the officer still didn't have back up, the guy was a threat to others, and the cop had to think about the innocents outside the house.

The situation sucks for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
    This^.....

What an asshole...
    Well, its hard to argue logic.........

I also think it's funny that people will say they want guns for protection, then when someone else uses one for protection they want to cry that something else should've been done.

Clearly he wanted to be shot by the cop. Sadly he had to oblige.... Hope he's not too hard on himself...

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I agree--suicide by cop! If I had been the cop and he was advancing on me with a knife, I would have shot too. And I have been a police officer.

It's hard for me to say what the officer should or should not have done. I'm sitting behind this comfortable computer not facing down an armed assailant. My adrenaline isn't coursing through my body and my senses aren't on high alert. I don't feel qualified to second guess the man. I do know this. Once I decided to pull the trigger I sure wouldn't be trying to wing him. That's what double tap is all about. You don't stop until the threat is neutralized.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

In a highly charged situation of self defense, "shooting to wound," or "shooting the gun out of the suspect's hand," or "shooting the knife out of the suspect's hand," ad nauseum, are fantasy nonsense bred by many years of watching poorly written cops-'n-robbers movies and teeeveee shows.

"Real life," as opposed to "reel life" are so diametrically opposite that to even suggest a police officer -- or civilian in a self defense situation -- "shoot to wound," etc., is ridiculous. Those who sanctimoniously advocate that have no idea whatsoever the human anatomy, nor ballistics, and what a bullet does in flesh, muscles, bones, etc., and how just being wounded can and does often lead to death.

They have no idea other than what they see in the movies, how difficult it is to hit a moving person who is advancing, with the means to kill another person, much less take the time to pick out some spot on that person to "just wound him a little bit."

Well, Duke Wayne and Bobby Redford, and Mel Gibson, and Roy and Gene and Hoppy did it all the time. See, it's easy.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Blog Entries

You all know my feelings about excessive force. THIS shooting was absolutely justified. Period.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    You all know my feelings about excessive force. THIS shooting was absolutely justified. Period.
    I agree with you, Ken. It is still sad. A wife lost her husband and a daughter lost her dad.

The cop gets sent home on admin leave (SOP until an officer is cleared through psych to return to duty and a use of force investigation is completed) trying to sort out why he had to be the one to assist with his suicide. Also, you can hear the lady's upset after the shooting. I'm sure that is continually in his head. I'm sure he has the thoughts that while he holds his wife and kids, that because of him, a wife and child doesn't get to hold their man of the house.

I know some of you guys think I'm an "asshole" for feeling for the cop. I know a few cops that have been in the same situation and it isn't easy for them. I've been in a position where I had to use force on a person in front of their family and that sucks.

Blog Entries

Nater, the fact that a wife and child doesn't get to hold their man of the house can't be blamed on the officer. (And I believe that you agree with me on this.) The deceased was clearly hell bent on suicide. He would have killed himself in any event.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I know some of you guys think I'm an "asshole" for feeling for the cop. I know a few cops that have been in the same situation and it isn't easy for them. I've been in a position where I had to use force on a person in front of their family and that sucks.
    Why would we think that when there are so many other reasonons....

jk Hopefully the officer will be OK.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I agree with you, Ken. It is still sad. A wife lost her husband and a daughter lost her dad.

The cop gets sent home on admin leave (SOP until an officer is cleared through psych to return to duty and a use of force investigation is completed) trying to sort out why he had to be the one to assist with his suicide. Also, you can hear the lady's upset after the shooting. I'm sure that is continually in his head. I'm sure he has the thoughts that while he holds his wife and kids, that because of him, a wife and child doesn't get to hold their man of the house.

No I do not think you are an asshole. The guy was differently asking for it. I spent 28 yrs as firefighter and had a number of LEO tell me they wouldn't have my job, well this is the reason I wouldn't have their job.

That officer will carry those regrets the rest of his life.

Bill
    NRA Life Patron Member
    Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club
    K9GDG

Every time an older person dies, its like burning a full set of encyclopedias that will never be published again. So, if you ever want to learn more of anything, just find a old tradesman and hang out with him and then when he passes on, not the full set will burn, you'll have parts of it to pass on to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Nater, the fact that a wife and child doesn't get to hold their man of the house can't be blamed on the officer. (And I believe that you agree with me on this.) The deceased was clearly hell bent on suicide. He would have killed himself in any event.
    I do agree with you and I definitely don't blame the officer. I was just kinda putting it through the perspective of the officer. A rarely known fact about officers, is they quarterback themselves, too. If people don't think he isn't sitting at home going through an emotional hell, think again. I don't know of an officer that kills for fun.... although I'm sure there is one somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Why would we think that when there are so many other reasonons....

jk Hopefully the officer will be OK.
    (Grabs dictionary and looks up "reasonons")