Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Us versus them?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Battle of the Sunflowers?
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Folks that live beyond the rainbow?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Where trouble melts like lemon drops?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We tore out the sod and planted a food garden between the street and sidewalk. This was the second year for it. The sunflowers and other ornamentals are there to attract pollinators.
    Lemme see if I can get some more photos up.

Altitude.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Squash, peppers, tomatos, several herbs, flowers.
    We initially got one of the city's little brown notes on our door that said we had "Noxious weeds" on our property that had to be removed. These are the same people who are paid with our property taxes.

Altitude.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Nice!

(You say "dirty hippies" like it's a bad thing.)
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Oh no! I wear that badge with honor. We actually got a lot of positive comments on it after everyone figured out what we were up to. Challenging the status quo and convention is always difficult to begin but after you get some support that changes. Some of our friends and neighbors have actually begun similar efforts.
    This is an often missing concept called "Leadership".

Altitude.

So you are south paw?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Astute observation. No. I'm right handed and use my right hand to snap photos with my left hand to lend perspective. You will see this in many of my posts.

Altitude.

I like your idea, I'm thinkin of doin that in my back yard. I planted last year currants, and goose berries, this year I'll probably plant more. Tain't nothing wrong with bein a south paw neither.

I asked because most of us wear our watch on the left hand. And, of course, we're the only ones in our right mind.

The area between the sidewalk and the road is an often overlooked area for growing. I've raised gourds in that area and cukes. The little kids get a kick out of watching the fruit grow. Generally, we just have flowers in that area however.

Looks nice, altitude! The only things I can see prohibiting growing those things in that spot are HOA rules and perhaps something to do with public easement. I know in my area, the portion between the road and up to and including the sidewalk technically belongs to the township so they can say what does or doesn't grow there. Also, if I plant anything there, people can trample through it and there's nothing that can be done.

Back to you, those plants look very good and healthy. Wish I had your green thumb!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I asked because most of us wear our watch on the left hand. And, of course, we're the only ones in our right mind.

The area between the sidewalk and the road is an often overlooked area for growing. I've raised gourds in that area and cukes. The little kids get a kick out of watching the fruit grow. Generally, we just have flowers in that area however.
    I thought you were supposed to wear your watch on your non-dominate hand.

I live in Wyoming and we here do not have the demographic/big government problems most of the rest of the US has. The elevation, weather and sparse population pretty much demand a self reliant attitude. We can grow whatever we wish on our private property. The sidewalk and street are the citys domain, the dirt is ours.
    Just so you guys know? My own opinion is that this is the future. Everyone will need to be growing food on every square inch available when the trucks stop. Lawns are the SECOND BIGGEST crop in the US after corn. Think about that?

Altitude.

I like it and those sunflowers a gigantic to what we have here. Over here that land is government owned but we would have to keep it cut as the 'weeds' would block line of sight for vehicles.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

That's really interesting. Here, we are a tree city (yes, it's a real thing), and the city plants trees in the area between sidewalk and road if the home owner agrees. I'm one of the few that doesn't have trees planted there.

http://www.arborday.org/programs/treecityusa/map.cfm

I have trees in between the sidewalk and street as well. My mail box also sits in between next to the drive and I have a rock bed around it. If I planted anything like veggies or flowers, people could technically trample over them and it is legal. Last summer, I had a motorcycle decide he wanted to do doughnuts in the easement. Cops couldn't do anything because it is public land. The only thing I could do is sue for damages. $150 and four hours of my time wasn't worth spending more time and money fighting through the civil system.

Good for you, I'm a big proponent of front yard farming. Lots of places restrict it though, you're lucky you live in a more free area.

http://www.gardeningblog.net/2011/07...rd-vegetables/
    http://www.gardeningblog.net/2013/01...for-gardening/