Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This weekends project.

I just thought of something. If you have a trailer hitch with electrical connections you can jerry rig the wiring (go to an auto store or RV store or someplace that specializes in trailer hook-ups) to work the pump out of the back of your vehicle.

1st - not a solution for when you get a bigger tank, but if the issue is the weight and hauling up the stairs ---- pour some into a smaller container to lighten the load.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    I just thought of something. If you have a trailer hitch with electrical connections you can jerry rig the wiring (go to an auto store or RV store or someplace that specializes in trailer hook-ups) to work the pump out of the back of your vehicle.
    What is the draw of the pump? Might not be a large enough conductor to support the pump.

Though it wouldn't be that hard to run a dedicated power cord out. You might even find a place to install the pump on the truck.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Crash, I end up filling all my jugs half full and just stopping on my way home for water more often. It's worth a trip to the chiropractor.

Grizz, I can't keep the pump in the back as it would freeze.

Batch, I already have a heavy duty arctic cord run out there to plug in the truck when it's cold. It runs a block heater, a battery blanket, and a transmission fluid heater so I am pretty sure it can run the pump to it's fullest. I think. The pump box says 350 gph but I don't know what that means. Does that help?
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

This is a link to a power washing board/store You can call and talk to Bob or play around on the board and ask questions. My handle over there is "JC"
    Thanks. I'll check them out.

You can't run the pumps I am talking about with A/C current (house hold 110 v), it needs to be D/C (12v marine battery). I'm sure you could find one that works with A/C

If your talking about hooking the extension cord to the battery thats a different story and I don't know the answer. I keep all my electrical lines as short as possible, less than 12".
    Yea I want one that works on household electric only. I am not interested in messing with batteries as that is just as much hassle and space taken as hauling it as I have been.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    The pump box says 350 gph but I don't know what that means. Does that help?
    350 gallons per hour.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Grizz, I can't keep the pump in the back as it would freeze.
    The pump is small probably less than 3 lbs so its easy to move inside and out when you need it. I have this hard wired on my work truck but it is just as easy to use a regular 7 pin plug you use when towing a vehicle.

You will take the pump inside when not in use so it wont freeze - one problem solved

Attach a 7 pin plug on your pump so that it will connect to your 7 pin connector on your truck. A business specializing in vehicle wiring will know how to do this so that the pump will not be on unless the vehicle is on. Its very simple, I did it on two vehicles. - second problem (power supply) solved

For the water in/out on the pump you will want to have about a 12" section of hose with regular male/female garden hose connectors. I use two different lengths so I can quickly ID which hose is "in" and which is "out". After you put the pump in the truck you will screw the intake hose to your pump and stick it in your 5 gal jug. Next connect the "out" hose to the hose running up to your tank. Plug in the 7 pin connector, start the truck and it will start pumping water.

When your done, just disconnect and unplug everything and bring the pump inside. The hoses should be fine outside as long as they are drained.

FWIW, it took longer to type this than it would take to hook everything up and start pumping.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    350 gallons per hour.
    Hahhahha duuhh! Thanks.

Blog Entries

Can you not install a little gate and winch on the veranda then back the car up to it and winch them direct from the car?
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

How about an rv water tank pump http://www.campingworld.com/category...ater-pumps/137 then run hose from house to driveway. Mount the hose permanently to the deck and leave enough hanging loose so you just park near it and grab the end and stick it in the jug.
    Or you could have the kid get out of bed and carry the jugs.