Thread: When storing foods in buckets do I take for instance the rice and beans out of the ba

Default When storing foods in buckets do I take for instance the rice and beans out of the ba

Sent from my SPH-M930BST using Tapatalk 2

Beans are usually in a bag that has holes punched in for air circulation. You don't need to take the beans out of the package. However, you will fit more beans in a bucket if you do. For the rice, it is probably in a sealed bag. You will want to take it out of the package so that you can fit more in the bucket, and get all the air out.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

i suggest that you freeze any beans,rice,etc.to kill any bug eggs or bugs that mite be in them before storing i always do.

If the food is purchased already in buckets, usually they are already sealed for storage with oxygen absorbers and such.
    If you are putting them in buckets yourself from store bought grocery or from self-harvested, then it's pretty much up to you what you do with them.
    Be sure your buckets are food grade. Even still, you might want to use mylar liners.
    I always freeze self-harvested dried stuff like tnrick55 mentioned. I don't store the store bought stuff very long.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Great.....thanks very much.

Sent from my SPH-M930BST using Tapatalk 2

Something else to consider - if you are storing it long term - instant rice may not last as long as regular rice.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Loose in a bucket with a pc of dry ice and you will be fine

I don't use 5 gallon buckets so I'm just curious. Do you let the dry ice sublimate completely before locking down the lid? Seems like pressure would build if you didn't.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

No Rick,I just leave a little space and close the lid,have never had a GAS problem,with dry Ice that is.
    Last edited by Mischief; 01-09-2014 at 09:43 PM.

Any large quantities of beans, rice, sugar, salt, etc..., i store in 5 gallon food grade buckets in mylar bags with o2 absorbers and i squeeze out as much air as possible before heat sealing the bags. I also use gamma seal lids on all my buckets.
    As to your original concern, i always remove the food from the factory bags or box before sealing in a container.

You have gamma lids on all your buckets? I only get gamma lids for buckets I will be opening a lot. So, if I have 5 or 6 buckets of wheat, then 1 would have a gamma lid, if I am using that one.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

i dont understand why I should remove rice or pasta etc. from the original packaging ... I havent experienced any problems with storage so far and most of my rice is two years or more .. what problems might I run into ?
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !

What happens when it's time to use something. 5 gallons is a lot of "stuff". Do you then have to go through the same process to seal it up so it stays fresh? How would you go about that if you were using it because of some disaster?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

im using two gallon ice cream buckets .. one 15 lb bag of rice fits inside in the original pack. ... 15 or so packs of spaghetti fits .. use one package at a time ? maybe im not understanding your post correctly ? lemme know .. lol ... thanks
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !

I think you did. The 2 gallon bucket makes much more sense to me. My wife and I wouldn't consume 15 gallons of rice in 15 years. Give or take.

I brought my wife back from the Philippines ... rice is an everyday occurrence .. 15 lbs a month .. on a SLOW month lol ...I figure I now have enuf storage food for 4 years .. mostly dried . now have a herd of 8 goats .. giant garden .. 600 sealer mason jars that we fill ...I should survive ok if no one takes it away from me ... and as for that I think im well armed as well

sorry bit off topic here!
    Last edited by birdman6660; 01-30-2014 at 08:09 AM.
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !