Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska 2014!

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Don't the rangers in Denali handle that sort of thing? On the one hand it's probably natural that the wolves are tracking the bear. On the other hand it's not natural if the bear was injured in a snare. I would think they would want to catch it to see if it's injuries are bad enough to put down and prevent someone from being injured.
    Nope, let nature take its course unless he is harassing humans which he isn't. The wolves may get him or he may survive. There is already one tripawd living in the park.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Recess at -20.

Less then two weeks until the Yukon Quest! I can hardly wait to see all my buddies again. I have a new word. Locationships. A locationship is those friendships made at a specific location. I only see some of these people during the Quest, yet many of them I consider great friends.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Recess at -20.
    Awesome!

I get so frustrated here. They won't let the kids go out for recess if it is below 40--someone might get chilly, ya know.
    "everything's temporary if you give it enough time" J Kilcher

www.HoofRehab.com

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Less then two weeks until the Yukon Quest!
    What brand and type of doggie boots work best?
    Thanks.
    "everything's temporary if you give it enough time" J Kilcher

www.HoofRehab.com

Most of them use either a heavy nylon or a nice fleece. It's really personal preference and cost. Some have them made by a group called the Bootie Brigade.

Watching a dog with new booties is funny. At least down here where they're not so used to them.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Last night my vehicle was stolen. Yes it was. I couldn't believe it either. My pretty princess that I've only had 4 months. I was attending my company Christmas party that had been delayed since we were so busy in December making sure our clients had some semblance of a decent Christmas. So I got to the hotel where it was held about 6 pm. I had my gifts for the gift exchange and my phones (personal and work phone since I am on call 24/7) in my hands. I locked my car as I ALWAYS do. In my job, security and personal safety are a huge issue. The only thing I can figure that happened was when I put my keys in my coat pocket, big puffy winter coat with side pockets, they must have fell out as I got out of the car. So when I went to leave from the party about 8, keys and car were gone. I have full coverage insurance but it doesn't cover the $500 worth of roller derby gear that was in the back. I had JUST told my daughter to get it out of the car so we can air it out inside. She cried and cried last night. She so loves her roller derby. I assured her she could still be in derby. I know her league has some loaner gear.

So after the police came and all that was done, my friend Lori came and picked me up. We drove around for 3 hours looking in all the bar parking lots ect. When I got home I called all the cab companies and offered $100 reward for any cabbie that found it. We have a LOT of cabs up here. This morning I called all the pawn shops and they will be watching for Olivia's derby gear. Today I shoveled out the Rust Princess and that darn thing started with only being plugged in for the hour and a half it took me to shovel her out. Oh how I love Toyotas! It was sitting all winter!

So, that's what I'm doing this weekend. Thanks to my Alaska Karma, God, or my Guardian Angel, this didn't happen a year ago. After struggling so, so much for the last 10 years, I am finally in a place where something like this is not a life changing set back. It's infuriating. It's inconvenient. It's going to cost me I'm sure. But I have some savings. I have full coverage insurance. I have a back up vehicle. I have my health and my kids and a good job. I really am lucky. Well no, luck doesn't have much to do with it. Busting my ***, having good priorities and a tight budget has put me in this half way decent place in life. Sorry, I'm rambling.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

There was so much snow on the Rust Princess, I didn't know where to start!

Oh, man, that sucks. Hope it gets found.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…

edited.....
    Last edited by sjj; 05-08-2017 at 02:58 AM.

That sucks! But it seems like it would be pretty hard for the thief to hide it!

Sorry to hear this. Hope they catch the azzhats that stole it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Stealing someone's transportation in winter in Alaska is just plain wrong. Guess those types are everywhere these days.

The dirty bast !

SO very sorry for your loss and tough time. Sjj is right, check your renter's or homeowner's insurance it may likely cover the derby stuff in the car.
    But if you are like us, your deductible will be over what the stuff costs....
    Again so sorry for you.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

They found it! It's fine. The derby gear was in there too! Heck, even my quarters in the cup holder that I use for water were still there. The area they found it in was one of our few trailer parks and a drug infested scumbucket area. Apparently they just drove it there and parked it. Took my purse with my checkbook in it and the keys. I had to have it towed to the dealership and will talk to them tomorrow about getting the locks and tumbler changed.

On another note, I don't think my keys dropped now. I think someone took them out of my coat pocket as it was hung up outside the room we were having our Christmas party in.

Oh yea. I can't get renter's insurance. They wont cover you if you live in a dry cabin.

And of course, I still love Alaska.

I think that was the same night I took this.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

ARG! This is a lesson in patience. I recently got an Employee Certificate of Appreciation that said "In appreciation of your infinite patience." But this has driven me to tears! Ok maybe I'm just overly tired. First off, the police called me at about midnight Sat. night to say they found it and to come get it. I call my friend Lori to come get me which she did. We went to where my car was and then the police man suggested I get it towed to the dealership so I can have new keys made (since the keys were stolen too). I finally found a tow truck driver that could come get it within 3 hours but I still didn't get home till 3 am. Then I call the dealership this morning and they can't make new keys since they only go back 7 year and it's 10 years old. Others have told me this is bogus and they are lying. They offered to change all the locks and ignition for about $400. Uh, no. My deductible is $500. It wasn't stolen from home so the little **** head who stole it does not know where I live. I just need new keys. Yes I had a spare in my purse, that was stolen out of the vehicle. They told me to contact the used car dealership I bought it from and get the key code. I did that and they told me they don't keep the key codes or have any spare keys. They told me to call a locksmith. The locksmith is busy but can get to it tomorrow. Then I call the insurance company and go through the half an hour interview about having a stolen vehicle. I realize they are used to dealing with shady people but I am not one of them! Then I call my local insurance person and ask them to add the Toyota back onto my policy so I can drive it. She said they may not allow me to just have it on for a few days and may require a minimum of 30 days. I'm so done with this.

Not to pile on but,
    Is your address on your checks?