Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska 2014!

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Ah dang it. Sue was supposed to be in town for a layover on her way back from NYC but they ended up flying her directly from Seattle out to Kavik. Boo. Oh well, a good visit is still in our future. Shhh. It's always a secret.

And in other news, spring is on its way and so ends another year of dog mushing. Here's a really well done video done by Hank Debruin and his wife. He's a Quest musher.

http://www.dogparktales.ca/videos/sl.../#.Uy9NPKiAqrT

Here's what Eagle Summit looks like.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

interesting thread, I pop in now and then to check it out.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

So, guess what chickenbutt?

Part Great Pyrenees, Golden Retriever, and Lab.

Want to help me name her?

She couldn't look more like a polar bear pup. LOL.
    She's a keeper.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

nice pup, how about Cotton? Known a few southerners that went by Cotton but never a pup.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Just three weeks old. Mine is the big girl on the right.

Daddy.

Mamma.

I thought she looked like a polar bear too. You can call her PB for Polar Bearable. Gonna be tough to find in the snow if you drop her. Should have gotten an orange one.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Cute pup. Blizzard?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Here's the current top picks.

Ele. Pyrenean divinity of the Roman epoch. (pronounced Ellie)
    Lahe. Female Pyrenean divinity of the Roman epoch. (Lahee)
    Mari - supreme mother goddess from the Basque region of the pyrenees. (not pronounced Mary.)

Or Luna.

Yep, I like two syllable dog names and ones that end in the long e sound.

Then Innugati - Inuit for companion.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Samantha Barksdale (Sam)

Lol.

We've decided on Mari, supreme mother goddess from the Basque region of the Pyrenees. Pronounced Mah ree.

Hey nice playing on the violin back there

I also play and enjoy it very much, glad to see others here also!

Oh thank you. Those are just some little tunes I learned for St. Patrick's day.

Want a job where you literally get away from it all?

http://juneauicefield.com/apply

Some experience in living under adverse wilderness conditions is recommended. All participants are instructed in techniques of safe travel, and group expeditionary living in physically hostile arctic and mountain environments. Experience skiing is not required, and many participants have completed the ski traverse of the icefield having never before skied; however, a decent level of physical fitness is required given the amount of hiking and skiing participants perform and the one to two-day traverses between camps (accomplished while carrying a heavy pack).

Generally, students cover transportation to Juneau and for the return from Juneau, plus personal field clothing, backpack, sleeping bag, ice axe, and cross country skis. There is a basic field fee, $4,950, which covers costs of the eight-week field season, including housing, scientific equipment, food and fuel costs, Atlin Lake boat transportation, and bus and ferry transportation from Skagway to Juneau. Fees are subject to change so you should request an updated statement of fees prior to application.

The Iditarod this year was crap. There was no snow on the trail in many parts. Here's a nice retelling of a portion of the trail and what the mushers went through. The Iditarod Trail Committee really got slammed for not changing the start location to Fairbanks.

From Karin Hendrickson Part Three – More Scary Stuff
    We stop at Rohn for four hours and take off around 5:30 in the morning following a pack of about 10 teams who all took off some time after 5:00.
    I expect a rough ride – the Burn is always rough. There is not a scrap of snow on the trail, although there is plenty of frozen mud and ice. I leave with all the dogs except the two wheel dogs clipped just to their collars, hoping that will help reduce the power to manageable levels.
    Right off the bat Elway breaks his line. The dog is always breaking something, so it is no great surprise. He shoots down the trail, gleefully skipping from side to side, stopping right in the way to sniff and pee, charging at a full gallop down the dark trail, and darting off on side trails. The rest of the team want to go with him on his mad dash, and I have my hands full keeping control on the frozen ruts and roots.
    I’m not worried I will lose him, but I have no way to stop and get him back where he belongs. And he is not making the team any easier to handle. We scramble after him for several miles. There is simply nowhere I can set a hook to hold the team while I clip him into the line. In fact, there isn’t anywhere I have enough braking power to stop in the first place. We tear down the trail after him, slaloming through dark woods and then slamming down onto river ice and gravel bars. Finally on the other side of the river I manage to stop the team and snag a tree with my hook and collect the thoroughly pleased Elway back into the team.
    I am working my tail off to stay on top of the sled and avoid obstacles. There is nothing but glare ice, frozen ruts, ledges, drop offs, stumps, rocks, logs, gravel, tussocks, uneven clumps of roots, side hills, clumps of roots on side hills, glare ice on side hills… you get the picture. And every bit of it frozen dirt or ice; no snow in sight. The sled bounces off obstacles, slams into holes, crashes over stumps, and batters its way down the ‘trail’.
    My brake and drag are almost useless, as there is nothing for them to bite into. I am still slamming them hard, caution to the wind, knowing that one or both is going to be torn from the sled at any moment and make a desperate situation even worse. But I am desperate for a shred of control as my sled careens back and forth, most of the time only on one runner. Like in the Dalzell, it is case of die now, or die later, and my instincts to control my sled has me jumping on the brake.
    The dogs are feeling energetic, to put it mildly. We are flying. Not that I need any proof to tell me that we are travelling too fast, but we pass team after team. Many are pulled over, dealing with broken sleds or other problems.
    The wild ride just doesn’t let up. There isn’t a single place flat enough to relax for more than a second or two before I am once again clinging to the edge of control, fighting to get the sled on both runners. And once again I am terrified. At the speed we are travelling, a crash into the stumps and rocks is going to cause injury; possibly serious injury.
    I am really getting a workout; my heart rate is through the roof, I am gasping for air, and I the sweat is pouring off my face and freezing as it splashes off my jacket. I don’t dare take any of my ‘padding’ off to cool down, so I am completely soaked through with sweat. I don’t dare stop to catch my breath because the hooligans strapped to the front of the sled don’t need any time to wind themselves up into a bigger frenzy and run even harder.
    The dogs are learning that “Oh ****” (insert expletive of choice) means the same as “whoa”. This will do me absolutely no good, because right now they are not interested in slowing down or whoa-ing for any reason. Farther down the trail, when the dogs have mellowed a bit, when the trail is not so desperate, when I am not at the edge of exhaustion just keeping the sled on its runners, a cry of “Oh ****” will bring the dogs to a halt. But for now the throttle is stuck wide open and all I can do is hang on.
    The trail is littered with runner plastic, water bottles, coolers, and other items that have been torn from, or rattled out of sleds. So far I haven’t lost a thing, but I also have only had a couple minor tip overs, and no serious crashes. After a couple of hours we jump down off a two foot drop onto a gravel bar, skitter across glare ice, and head up the far bank. The bank is steep, maybe three feet high, and has a side angle. Despite the dogs pulling strong, my sled slides off to the right and keeps grinding along the sand and gravel bank that keeps getting higher and higher. Now my sled is nearly vertical and the bank is as high as my eight foot runners. I am not too worried about being stuck because Charlie Benja is not too far behind me and I know he can help me shove the sled up the bank.
    The dogs are going to get a short break after all, but then, so am I. And I need it. We are two hours into a long run, and I’m shaking with fatigue, drenched with sweat, and at the end of my endurance. I sip some water and focus on breathing. I am a bit down on myself for being so out of shape, and wonder if it is going to be the reason I get hurt or destroy my sled. Then Charlie comes up and shares the same miseries with me. He is most definitely not out of shape, and I start to feel better about my fitness. Even if it doesn’t make the trail any easier, Charlie’s cheerful help getting my sled over the ledge makes everything seem better.
    The trail doesn’t actually get better. It just keeps going on and on and on, at the limits of my abilities, for mile after mile. We tear up the Post River Glacier, a steep ice cliff, and across the rubble of rocks at the top. We fling over the giant dirt humps that always lurk in the buffalo chutes and they actually seem like a friendly familiar face on this horrendous trail. We ping pong over mine-fields of tussocks. We slew around sharp corners on side hill frozen dirt cluttered with roots and stumps. We slam through holes and drops and over rocks.
    I need to watch the dogs, watch the trail for what is coming up. But if I take my focus off the trail immediately in front of me for more than a split second, I am in for disaster. I take a micro-glance ahead and see my dogs waver, wobble, and then dart to the left. In front of them is a hole. They swoop around the bank and back to the middle of the trail, and I can see my sled is going to be dragged right into the hole. I jam on the brakes and somehow we stop. I stomp the hooks into some cracks in the frozen mud and take a closer look. This is not a hole, it’s a crater. It’s a sinkhole. An opening in the earth big enough to swallow a minivan, maybe even a school bus. It is huge! It is deep! I do NOT want to drag behind my sled and wind up at the bottom of this hole!
    Once we are stopped, I know I have this one under control. Carefully I take one hook and move it forward and to the side a foot. Then I carefully remove the hook holding the dogs back. They jerk forward, but my side-hook holds. I place the next hook up and over, and then creep forward again. We move, crab-wise, a foot at a time, around the edge of the giant grave-hole until all the dogs, the sled, and I are on the far side. Then we take off again at a run!
    Somewhere along the line a few hours out, the bed of the sled rides up over a tree stump, skidding along on top of it. On the far side, the stump comes popping out from under my sled and snags my brake. We lurch to a stop, then break free and keep going. For some reason, the brake is still attached to the sled. But now it is cockeyed, twisted off to the side so far that the right hand claw is hitting my runner. It’s not going to do me much good like that. I can spend some time trying to straighten it back out, but usually if you bend metal around too much it will just break. Since I’m already using my replacement brake I’m not too sure what I am going to do, but I don’t have much time to worry about it since I am now left with just the drag matt to keep the dogs in check.

Part 2. Sorry, it wouldn't let me paste it all in one post.

The sled skids around an off-camber corner, bounces off a tussock, and shoots straight for a tree. The toe of my boot is caught under the brake claw, which is now in an unexpected place. I am locked in place and don’t even have time to holler before the sled crunches right into the tree. The dogs are yanked up short with a startled yelp. I jump off the sled to survey the damage – a stop that hard can split a sled right in half. But I don’t see a problem. The gangline didn’t snap. The bridle (attaching the gangline to the sled) is intact. The runners aren’t bent. The bed isn’t cracked. The stanchions are in one piece. The dogs are all bouncing around and happy. Gasping, I heave the sled off the tree, and we take off down the trail.
    Just a few minutes later, the sled rides up over another stump and the brake snags again. I’m sure that’s the end of the brake; it has taken an awful lot of abuse. But when I Iook down, I laugh as I realize that stump #2 has yanked it back into position. It’s a little twisted and crooked, but it is functional again. Unbelievable!
    We round a corner and the trail disappears. Instead, there is flowing water. It flows, knee deep for 200 yards in the general direction that I need to go, and then turns right while the trail goes straight ahead up a hill. I stop briefly to move Bree back from swing – she will never willingly go into water, and she can put the brakes on the whole team. Then I switch out Hatchet for Harp in lead. Hatch is pretty good about water, but Harp almost seems to like it.
    By the time I’m ready to ask the dogs to wade into the stream, I realize a team is overtaking us. A fast team. A team with no sled! I quickly hook down my dogs and dash over to the loose team. They are happy to stop for me, and I let them all get a nice drink of water before I tie them off to some small trees. I unhook their tuglines and make sure they are secure. I am not sure what to do at this point. I’m a little worried about their musher, and I don’t want to just take off. I call over to Matt Failor who is camped just on the other side, but he agrees there isn’t much else I can do.
    Just as I get ready to steer the dogs into the water, I hear a voice coming down the trail. I call back to say that I have the dogs and they are fine. Rick Casillo comes running up, looking as desperately worried as anyone can be who has lost their team. Once he knows his dogs are OK, he gets a drink from my big thermos, and then heads back to collect his sled.
    By now we’ve wasted half an hour, and the dogs have lost their focus. They aren’t even sure which way we are supposed to be heading, so it will be up to me to head them out. I pull my waders on over my boots and bibs, and line them into the water. I only have to lead them far enough for the entire team to be splashing in the chest deep water when Cutter and Harp take over and the team trots by me. I catch a ride on the sled to the other side and then stop the team.
    Bree has managed to escape, and is running around on the far shore. She won’t come when I call. She won’t follow Jason Mackey’s team, who charges right into the water and up the other side. She runs back and forth barking, but I am clearly going to have to go collect her. I trudge back to the other side and coax her over to me. She knows I am going to make her go through the water and she is not too happy about it, but once I get all the way to the other side she slinks up to me. I half carry, half drag her back across the icy water and back to the team.
    I decide to take advantage of the water and give the dogs a quick drink and some food while I take a look at my sled. As I suspected, the pounding and slamming has caused some damage. It’s a good thing I stopped when I did, because one of the main stanchions is splitting pretty badly. With some hose clamps and hockey tape I get the split under control and prevent it from pulling loose from the runner bracket. I clamp a few more splitting stanchions, but overall things look pretty good. I collect the dog dishes, untangle the dogs from the trees and bushes they are resting in, and after a 40 minute break, we are back on our way.
    Not two miles down the trail, I realize I missed something. The bed of my sled seems to be sagging. I stop and take a look. The bolt holding the bed to the forward stanchion has snapped. That is a quick fix. The rivets holding the bed together in the back have also snapped. That is not a quick fix. In fact, I meant to drill them all out and replace them with bolts before the race, since rivets can’t be repaired on the trail. But I didn’t get to that chore, and now I am kicking myself. But once I get the stanchion bolt replaced, it looks like it will keep the bed where it belongs long enough to get us to Nikolai, or maybe even Takotna where I can borrow a drill and do the full repair. So we are off again after yet another pause.
    Hours go by. My heart is still pounding, trying to keep up with the oxygen demand. My breath is still rasping in and out. Sweat is still pouring off me. I am still quivering with exhaustion. But there is no choice but to go on. I start to feel that my side-hill dirt skills (something I’ve never developed before) are really improving. I start to think that tussocks aren’t too bad, compared to stumps and roots. Mostly, I am just trying to hang on until the trail improves.
    We keep scrambling down the trail. Although our moving speed is too fast, we are jerking and lurching and stopping so often that we aren’t making that much progress. Even after our drink break back by the creek, the dry dirt trail is making the dogs really thirsty. We are starting to see snow. Just a little bit, and just on the north side of the hills, but it is such a relief. I stop the dogs and let them bite the snow and cool their thirst for several minutes. They roll around and celebrate, and I feel like cheering too. Because the rumor is the trail has snow (real snow!) on it after the Buffalo Camp, and I know we must be closing in.
    We start to see more hills. Steep, ice-mud hills. The dogs are still pulling only on their collars. But I’m not even tempted to help them out by clipping them in to their harnesses. The little hoodlums have so much dang energy, they can jolly well work a bit extra getting us up these hills.
    There are more and more sections of flat dirt, for which I am ridiculously thankful. The trail has to be pretty bad when you find yourself being grateful for flat dirt. Finally we arrive at Buffalo Camp. It has taken us almost eight hours to get there, although that include several rather lengthy breaks for various reasons. The dogs could use a short break. On the other hand, I NEED a few hours to eat, drink, and rest. I decide to stop for four hours. More than they need, maybe enough for me. After feeding and caring for the dogs, I head up the ramshackle wall tent. Jason, who got there just before me, has a little fire going in the smoky woodstove, and it is not a bad place to take a short nap. I lay down on the ground but don’t really sleep. The rest does me good, though, and I am happy to get up and get going again. I’m thinking about moose stew in Nikolai.
    The miles into Nikolai are like a dream. There is actually snow on the trail. My brake works. I can relax on the runners without exhausting myself to stay upright. I can even sit on my bucket and take a break. I can get a snack for myself and eat it while on the run. And it is so quiet! After the chattering and slamming on the dirt and ice, the silence of the snow is shocking.
    We are swooping into Nik before I know it. Rhodi checks us in, and the first thing she says is, “What do you need?” Obviously, a great many mushers have come in from this run needing tools, materials, or other help. But I can honestly say I don’t need anything but a little rest and food. We made it through some insane trail in good shape. The dogs are fabulous. My sled is holding together just fine. I am tired – tired enough to say ‘screw it, I’m resting’ and stay for six hours instead of a more realistic four. But mostly, we are pretty damn good.
    There’s a long way to go yet, and lots more adventures coming up in the next installments.