Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How I make Char Cloth - the easy way.

H63, are you pulling newbie herding detail today?
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
    H63, are you pulling newbie herding detail today?
    Naw, not really, ........but been working outside...hot and humid....and I can't go as long and hard as I used to these days....I guess....so work a while, come in take a break, may be catch a nap....check the forum....then head back out for a while.

I had hired a guy to weed whack the bank in front of the cabin....called him two weeks ago, but was busy....so he waited till today, and I just started in doing a little at a time......lo and behold, he shows up......LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Naw, not really, ........but been working outside...hot and humid....and I can't go as long and hard as I used to these days....I guess....so work a while, come in take a break, may be catch a nap....check the forum....then head back out for a while.
    Welcome to the work ethic world of them that has had their tic-toc go spaz on them!!!

I work a half hour, rest an hour.

It does shoot your post count way up there real fast.

Just wait until winter and you discover that the blood thinner meds freeze you to death!

You can put on everything you own and still be cold, inside the house!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

revised.....
    Last edited by sjj; 06-10-2015 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Welcome to the work ethic world of them that has had their tic-toc go spaz on them!!!

I work a half hour, rest an hour.

It does shoot your post count way up there real fast.

Just wait until winter and you discover that the blood thinner meds freeze you to death!

You can put on everything you own and still be cold, inside the house!
    Bhohahahaha....No Ship....Really good guess....to bad it's not even funny.....just frustrating.

Summer came back to the East Coast this holiday weekend so I too hopped in and out of the house. Went looking for bait early but low tide and a short net handle forced me to use fake bait. Ground is too dry to find crawlers underneath the usual places. Fish weren't hungry anyway. Swam right past my bait.
    Home by 10am to check the venison in the slow cooker and made a partial sleep debt payment: woke up and lunch was ready.
    Back out to check the tidal creeks and bay at high tide for crabbing but the crabs were where I wasn't. The big fish aint hit the ocean beaches yet so it was back home, ball game on the tube, intraweb paddlin and getting my brain back in work mode for tuesday.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

I least I don't have to put up with the 4 letter word.......work...unless I want too....Saturday again today.

Rained again this morning, so just taking my time.....little bit of putting stuff away, finish cleaning out the deer stand.....me vs the mice, sweep out one more time and bleach the plywood floor....hate mouse pee.

Then back to the city house for a week or two, and catch up on grass leaves/ fall stuff.......pick up the 4 wheeler,(was in shop) then head back out here to "The Place" around the middle of the month.

Yeah, life is good, but slower...but still frustrates me to have to slow down......still have a big oak dead fall, in the ravine to chunk up an split...can't run the saw for any longer than about 15 -20 min......and I still need to split what I cut last fall.

A bit late. I made my charcloth generator from scrap copper pipe; hammered shut on one end and a copper cap with a very small hole one the other. Work's ok, I drilled a hole in the flattened end to allow for it to be hooked out of the fire. Use it for rope, rolled cotton, any organic material should work.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

I use a small shoe polish tin with that handy little lid popper thing on them. They have a pretty tight seal. I punch the hole on the lip when the lid is on. That way when it's done I can just turn the lid a bit and it closes off that hole for storage. The past few times I've used just the cotton gun cleaning patches that are round for a flintlock. They fit in the small tin perfect. I usually do a batch while sitting out back with my daughters at the fire pit.

Quote Originally Posted by DomC View Post
    If you look at an ALTOIDS TIN closely, you'll see there are two slits where the hinges are located. These slits will suffice so cutting a hole in the lid is redundant. I use it as is and never have a problem...
    This; I use the mini tin, and pack it in a Ziploc with two burns worth of charcloth in it, (about 8-10 pieces) and wrapped in some old t shirt for more as needed.

Hunter 63 saying Hey and Welcome......
    There is an intro section if you would like to stop and say Hello at:
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

That small tin doesn't't give you a lot of room, but any Altoids tin work well as do the bigger standard tin....or bandied box...not pretty but works.

My favorite is a tin snuff can....with one nail hole...
    Small candle fins in the can, to melt and seal the hole to make it water proof.
    In the tin is the flint and steel, so the whole works is water proof until needed, then the wax will melt out when heated....making your vent hole.