Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How I make Char Cloth - the easy way.

I keep my hole covered.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

No one is criticizing you or saying that you are doing it wrong. Can't we have a curiosity over why you have better results by covering the hole when others don't feel a need. Can't we discuss the preparation of the container on the outside chance we can learn something. You should be happy that you have provoked a discussion with the goal of understanding the making of char cloth and possibly finding a better way. Too much air can result in a continued burn. If your hole in the container was too large the air coming back in could cause continued combustion.

Besides I like menudo.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

You, sir, are a sick, sick puppy.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The soup not the band.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

I knew that. No, really. I did.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

If you look at an ALTOIDS TIN closely, you'll see there are two slits where the hinges are located. These slits will suffice so cutting a hole in the lid is redundant. I use it as is and never have a problem...

DomC

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

Wait. With 2 slits wouldn't it be redundant redundant? 'Cause one slit would be redundant so .... well, you get it. I guess mathematically redundant​2.

I have used an altoids tin with no extra holes and have charred anything from t-shirts to jute twine and even small pieces of wood and it works perfectly.

What is char cloth?

Sent from my SPH-M930BST using Tapatalk 2

Courtesy of Wikipedia :
    Char cloth (also called charpaper) is a swatch of fabric made from vegetable fiber (such as linen, cotton or jute) that has been converted via pyrolysis into a slow-burning fuel of very low ignition temperature. It is capable of being ignited by a single spark that can in turn be used to ignite a tinder bundle to start a fire. It is sometimes manufactured at home for use as the initial tinder when cooking or camping and historically usually provided the "tinder" component of a tinderbox. It is often made by putting cloth into an almost airtight tin with a small hole in it, and cooking it in campfire coals until the smoking slows and the cloth is properly charred.

DomC

"There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

Great ways to make char, but you forgot the Cigar and three fingers of good Single malt. Two very essential components of char making. I use tins bought at the dollar store,they don't have to be round or square. Find a pair of jeans that need holes in them turn you tin upside down trace out the tin shape,repeat the process until you have enough cloth to start a fire at a rendevous for everyone there. Punch a hole in the top on the tin take a sip if single malt and a puff on the cigar, put your cloth in the tin put it in the fire you made using your fire piston. Take a sip of single malt,puff on the cigar. When the smoke stops coming out of the hole in the lid pull it off of the fire and when cool seal the hole up. Relax enjoy life and refill your glass the cigar has another hour of bliss.
    Last edited by Chuk; 01-20-2014 at 08:42 AM.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    crosman pellet tin w/ holes aligned.
    crosman pellet tin w/holes closed with a twist of the lid.
    tin filled w/horseshoe fungus cooking on Esbit stove.
    finished product: charred horseshoe fungus.

I have made charred punkwood using the same method. Both materials will take a spark from a ferro rod or Flint n' steel. My favorite is charred cotton denim though....

DomC
    Last edited by DomC; 01-21-2014 at 10:30 PM.

Banned

I like that idea a lot. The only point I would make is that you obviously have to wear gloves to twist the hot can to close the hole.
    None the less, a good idea.

I used a rag, but gloves would definitely work...

DomC

Nice! I like that a lot. Great idea.

I have never thought of that but an altoids tin with no extra holes has never let me down.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I keep my hole covered.
    lol, had to go there, huh?

Any way...

I made my very first batch of char cloth today, in a celestial seasonings tea tin (no holes) and I used a 100% cotton white t-shirt. It doesn't take that much flame to make...I did it in a citronella candle bucket, and to light the fire to make the char cloth, I used some cotton and mulch, and it got hot enough to do the trick. Once the tin was cooled (which didn't take long, it's only like 16 degrees outside atm), I checked the cloth, and it worked wonderfully.

About a half an hour later, curiosity got the best of me, so...

I went out to smoke, lit my cigarette, took a piece of char cloth and placed it in the middle of a small bundle of dryer lint. I then held the end of the cigarette up to the char cloth until I saw it take the ember, and blew that into a flame. It was so easy, I was surprised how easy it was. My next step now is to try to get the char cloth to light through a pair of binoculars, which hopefully I can do this weekend, not sure...they are predicting more snow..again..like anywhere from 6-10 inches...bleeeehh. But anyway, I'll try that sometime and let everyone know how it goes.

I still have several more batches of char cloth to make, and I'll be using some of that in an upcoming post about a tool that many on this site seem to have overlooked when it comes to starting fires.

Prepare what you can, when you can, WHILE you can.

When you hear this sound a-comin',
    Hear the drummers drumming,
    I want you to join together with the band,
    We don't move in any 'ticular direction,
    And we don't make no collections,
    I want you to join together with the band.

Do you really think I care,
    What you read or what you wear,
    I want you to join together with the band,
    There's a million ways to laugh,
    And every one's a path,
    Come on and join together with the band.

Can't get that song outta my head today, and it seems to go quite nicely with the bit of sagely advice I gave above.
    Last edited by WhiteHorse3340; 02-28-2014 at 02:08 PM. Reason: added the bit about binoculars.
    The Heavenly Warrior Defeats the Beast

11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war. 12 His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself

Okay, here's an update...

I tried to light it through a pair of binoculars, I have the type where the lenses are not removable, and that was a no-go. I then tried it with a magnifier similar to a jeweler's loupe and that lit it within seconds, VERY easy to light with that. I've also taken the reflective part of a flash light and placed the char cloth in the middle, took a little longer than the magnifier, but still successful.

...on a side note,

..."and I'll be using some of that in an upcoming post about a tool that many on this site seem to have overlooked when it comes to starting fires."

I am going to start construction of this tool very soon. Matter of fact, I'll be stopping by a hardware store later on today to see if I can find a few pieces there cheaper than what I priced them at a different store the other day.

When I start construction, I will be sure to take plenty of pictures, and probably post a few videos.
    Last edited by WhiteHorse3340; 03-04-2014 at 02:33 PM.
    The Heavenly Warrior Defeats the Beast

11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war. 12 His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHorse3340 View Post
    Okay, here's an update...

I tried to light it through a pair of binoculars, I have the type where the lenses are not removable, and that was a no-go. I then tried it with a magnifier similar to a jeweler's loupe and that lit it within seconds, VERY easy to light with that. I've also taken the reflective part of a flash light and placed the char cloth in the middle, took a little longer than the magnifier, but still successful.
    Have you tried eye glasses, yet.....
    Good job on the success.....never know till you try.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

When I make char with an Altoids tin, I don't put the hole in it. The tins are leaky enough to let the smoke escape and no need to worry with plugging the hole. Works great for me and when its cool, I just toss the tin and all into my fire kit. Along with my Bic lighter of course !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp