Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Bug Out Vehicle

If there is an EMP, wouldn't we be dead?

Our body operates by electro-chemical messages that are passed along by neurons. So if an EMP destroys anything electrical, wouldn't that include humans and animals too?

(Now reaches for foil hat.....)
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

No, but your pace maker may have issues.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I had my doc remove all my CMOS chips and RFIDS. About the only thing it affected was my memory. But at least I'm good for EMPS. I had my doc remove all my CMOS chips and RFIDS. About the only thing it affected was my memory. But at least I'm good for EMPS.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf
    The metal body is not a farady cage, a faraday cage is a completed (steel for emp) enclosure that is grounded and sealed, the vehicle body has window openings that the emp can enter through.

Actually, that's not correct. It certainly can be but does not have to be. The idea is electrical current flows over the exterior rather than through. As such, it does not have to be a complete enclosure. Nor does it have to be grounded. An airplane is a faraday cage. They get zapped by lightening all the time and no one gets killed. An airplane certainly isn't grounded. It's one of the reasons you have trouble using a cell phone in an elevator. The metal frame acts as a Faraday cage. Although it's certainly not completely enclosed by metal. So the metal body of a vehicle may well serve as a Faraday cage.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

What works as a faraday cage.....or how well some work will be largely dependent on amplitude and wavelength of the incoming waves.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    What works as a faraday cage.....or how well some work will be largely dependent on amplitude and wavelength of the incoming waves.
    So.....you are saying even a tinfoil hat is no guarantee...........?
    (Gonna need more beer.....)
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Bingo on both posts. Oh, right on the beer too.

Rick is correct in that a F cage does not have to be grounded in all cases. IN an ungrounded enclosure like an airplane, the plane is so far off the ground, it is isolated from ground, therefore giving a shielding effect.
    A lot of electronics are metal enclosed and this is known as RFI / EMI shielding, and a lot of the automotive ECU's have that shielding. Also a car is normally isolated from ground because of it's rubber tires, so the body would act a s a shield.
    The only reason a sheet metal building works better when everything is grounded, is because the grounding will actually drain the induced currents to ground simular to the same function of a lightning rod.
    When EMP's contact metal they produce voltages of some magnitude, and either shielding or a grounded cage can protect the goods inside. When an EMP event produced by the sun happens, there is no way to predict the amplitude or concentration from one area to the next, so there are many variables as well.
    In my opinion, at least on the earths surface, a grounded metal enclosre is the most foolproof method of protecting electronics because any small gaps or holes will still drain off the transient voltages as long as they have to pass by a grounded metal surface.

Just an experience I had in the past.
    Bought a new Volkswagen 411 kinda a wagon in 1971....was one of the first to have an electronic fuel injection with a control box.
    Box was about the size of a cigar box and located in the rear seat passengers side wall.

I had mounted a CB radio in the car....and when I would key up the mike....the radio would shut off the fuel injection.

Some one mostly 18 wheelers had big amps on board, and could shut my car off going down the interstate.

After discussing this with the dealer....turned out the fix was indeed wrapping the box in a foil bag, looked like the bag that electronic parts, like memory chips come in......and it worked.

So that leads me to believe that foil shielding may be better than nothing....be it appliances or hats.

If those goofy bags didn't work they wouldn't use them. That's also why I have an extra large tin foil hat. Just in case I have to pull it down around my ears. Gotta save the hearing aids!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If those goofy bags didn't work they wouldn't use them. That's also why I have an extra large tin foil hat. Just in case I have to pull it down around my ears. Gotta save the hearing aids!!
    So now Rick, tell us all about your tin foil hong, and how little it protects

"Little" is a relative term don't you know. And what are you doing peeking? That right there ain't right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    "Little" is a relative term don't you know. And what are you doing peeking? That right there ain't right.
    Nooooooo, no peeking for me, I was simply referring to the smallness of hongs in general don't ya know

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Just an experience I had in the past.
    Bought a new Volkswagen 411 kinda a wagon in 1971....was one of the first to have an electronic fuel injection with a control box.
    Box was about the size of a cigar box and located in the rear seat passengers side wall.

I had mounted a CB radio in the car....and when I would key up the mike....the radio would shut off the fuel injection.

Some one mostly 18 wheelers had big amps on board, and could shut my car off going down the interstate.

After discussing this with the dealer....turned out the fix was indeed wrapping the box in a foil bag, looked like the bag that electronic parts, like memory chips come in......and it worked.

So that leads me to believe that foil shielding may be better than nothing....be it appliances or hats.
    They should make all cars that way Hunter, and make the ECU sensative to cell phone frequencies so when people try to talk on their cell phones, their car dies!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    They should make all cars that way Hunter, and make the ECU sensative to cell phone frequencies so when people try to talk on their cell phones, their car dies!
    No ship........and I thought I was the only one to think like that.....

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    No ship........and I thought I was the only one to think like that.....
    I have been saying for years that all new cars should have a cell phone blocker installed by the auto manufacturer that will block cell signals when the engine is running and in drive! That would be so simple and save so many lives!

I have been an advocate that your license number should be your cell phone number. That way I can call you and tell you what a dumb*** you are for making that right turn from the left lane.

**Ringy Dingy****
    Hello?
    What the @#$# is the matter with you you @#@#% $%#$% @#$@#$ %^*^ #@#$^#$%&$%^*((%^#$%@#@@#%^$&%^*(%&^$$%@#$%#@#$%! Strong letter to follow!

Well my bug out choice is just that a bug air cooled. Easy to repair not bad on fuel will travel off road well and you can still get into one fairly cheap. Add roof rack and rear rack for extra storage or get the bus (they are a bit more $). and they are blast to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by tomsright View Post
    Well my bug out choice is just that a bug air cooled. Easy to repair not bad on fuel will travel off road well and you can still get into one fairly cheap. Add roof rack and rear rack for extra storage or get the bus (they are a bit more $). and they are blast to drive.
    What year?...You are talking VW right?

Soooooo back on the subject, I have always thought that a helicopter would be the ultimate bug out vehicle, but sine none of us could afford that, a UTV may be the ultimate Bog Out Vehicle. They can easily go off road, have cabs and protection form the weather, and can haul as much stuff as you could really ever need, and good on fuel to boot!