Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twenty something years ago...

Legalese for "Tough ship, Bud.....stay out".

The spot that I posted with Monty is a Naqvagical water way with lake boat launch access....land was owned by the power company as flowage.
    They sold the land and have been developing it as lake front property (high buck Chicago customers)......
    BUT

There is a 500 foot easement from the water inland,,, so we can still hunt there....and I have the documents for the power company.

So some funny stuff happens....like the real estate guy trying to impress buyers will walking with martinis along the lake path....and a flock of duck came in,... we jump up and start shooting.....scaring the carp out of the buyers.

Or the guy having his coffee on the dock....easement property and hollering at us...........LOL.

Sadly though, the old days are going away.....everyone is worried about lawsuits, safety(?)whose(?) and so forth....so when the run away and live off the land guys decide they are just gonna "do it"....it will be for a cell after they are arrested.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yeah, I gotta try to do what i can to get my butt out of this sling though! Seems like I'll need one of them NY lawyers, probably get me off on some technicality or just draw it out until it no longer matters. I guess it comes down to what is a year with a hunting and fishing license worth to a Dad.

By the way for those that don't know...I now know "Right of Way" means rights to the owner of the "Right of Way". There is no "Right of Way" for dumb Dad's. I had been told my whole life a man could use a "Right of Way" for hunting, so long as it was accessed from a public roadway or private property. I have done just that for over 20 yrs. Laws change, I guess they did sometime in my lifetime and I missed the memo.

I also did some tax research, I pay more taxes on my place than CSX pays in the whole county.
    "Right of Way" is not taxed at all at the county level anyway. Not even on the tax map.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Having kicked this down the road for several days. I just want to say that the responsibility for this falls squarely on my shoulders. It is not CSX's fault. It isn't the DNR's fault. It was me that didn't do my homework and I messed up.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

It happens and is a good example on why I wouldn't make a good law enforcement officer. On simple stuff like that I would have issued a warning.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    It happens and is a good example on why I wouldn't make a good law enforcement officer. On simple stuff like that I would have issued a warning.
    Yeah me neither, but hinging on that it took me several days to swallow what I'd done wrong. He did the right thing.

This discussion has been over a railroad right of way....correct?....and is considered private property?

So for all of those think about using a RR ROW as a BO route....may want to re-think that....at least in normal times when people are paying attention.
    "I'll just use the Right of way to by-pass the zombies".....may not be a good idea.

My run in wasn't a bad, just a warning,......but rabbit hunting on the right of way is a trespassing event, at least next time.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Well, I had my day in court today, the charge was reduced to unintentional trespass to hunt..I was guilty of that at the very least. It means I still get to hunt and fish. This won't ever happen to me again! I can assure you of that!

I am glad that the court saw fit to reduce the charges. Shame it came to a day in court at all. Glad it did not cost you your hunting privileges.