Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: If U Got LosT And U Could Have 1 Thing What Would It Be

Quote Originally Posted by Smok View Post
    I have to ask ,have any of you ever had to cut your way though brush you will want a long blade and gloves and maybe lather gantlets . Yes a short machete is better for carrying but for real work you need a real machete . I would never be without one , better a good machete then an Axe for the a short term wilderness stay that is .Why ? Well have you every tried to cut green willows 1" or less around with an Axe ,very hard to do and to cut anything green is hard for that matter . I'm out there all the time and after reading some of your post I'm beginning to wonder how many of you really know what your taking about I do love this site but if you have very little time in the woods maybe you should not post . Most of the world uses a full size machete the only place that I know of that does not is in Asia and that is another story
    Define your "bush"... because in the tropics and equatorial rainforests your point is 100% valid. But the undergrowth in a deciduous or pine forest does not need to be hacked and slashed away at in order to traverse. True an axe is not made for cutting small-diameter green stems, although a properly sharpened axe can and will do the job easily... just with that much more energy involved in swinging it. You also don't need leather gloves or "gauntlets" unless your hands are so virgin you'll get blisters within a half hour of use.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

Blog Entries

"Originally Posted by Smok
    I have to ask ,have any of you ever had to cut your way though brush you will want a long blade and gloves and maybe lather gantlets . Yes a short machete is better for carrying but for real work you need a real machete . I would never be without one , better a good machete then an Axe for the a short term wilderness stay that is .Why ? Well have you every tried to cut green willows 1" or less around with an Axe ,very hard to do and to cut anything green is hard for that matter . I'm out there all the time and after reading some of your post I'm beginning to wonder how many of you really know what your taking about I do love this site but if you have very little time in the woods maybe you should not post . Most of the world uses a full size machete the only place that I know of that does not is in Asia and that is another story."

I don't trek in a jungle, I'm 99.9% of my time in the wilds of the American wilderness, so no I have never used a machette, in fact in Ranger school while in the florida swamps of Elgin Air Farce base we never used a machete just a hatchet, but in the Army's School of the America's (Jungle School) in Panama we used machete's for some things and a hatchet for others. I don't take a machete with me hardly ever, sure as heck not in the "wilds" of Ohio, never used it the Grand Tetons when camping, or in Tennessee or Kentucky. Hmmm, no you don't always need a machete. And I am in agreement with Sarge, anyone should be allowed to post and you should take what is said with a grain of salt if you don't believe them, and there are a lot new people to wilderness here.
    Also I take offense to you saying "your begining to wonder what we really know" I don't give two s**t's if you believe what I gotta say, I got nothing to prove to you, but if you read the words of say... Mitch, FVR, WarEagle, and others to name a few you'll see they know what they're talking about, so read more threads before you speak like that please.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Smok View Post
    I'm out there all the time and after reading some of your post I'm beginning to wonder how many of you really know what your taking about
    Well, thank the stars that we've got you here to get us all sorted out. (I've always wondered if people can recognize sarcasm in a printed message, well here's everyone's chance.)
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Well I did not mean to up set you so , what I have read of you boy s's post has been of help to someone but there have been others on here that do not seem to want to help they make fun or give bad advise .. The brush that live in is full of black berries all along the rivers and I for one would dearly love to see you out there with out gloves or machete.. If you well take note I did not name names nor point a finger at anyone All I did was make a simple observation.. I did not say they COULD not post I said MAYBE SOME SHOULD NOT post ..If you do not know don't say anything at all that is what I mean
    Last edited by Smok; 11-05-2007 at 10:10 PM. Reason: to do it rigth

I'd probably have to go with my leatherman tool, and or my KA Bar. Just one, right? Ok then, my Ka Bar...

Default all right that's it

i give up on all of you(cept you fvr)do none of you have any maginaton atall well i'm taking my flintknapping and going home i'm done with this thread...

Blog Entries

Well, since I chase wild hogs into the thickets, I don't use a machette but rather choose to use a pair of hand pruning shears.

They work great, can cut up to an inch, there is no major motion to scare critters, and best of all again, you can be as quiet as you want.

Now, back up to 1984, Panama jungle, yup, did not go anywhere without my full size highly sharpened machette. Came in handy not only for cutting our way through the very thick jungle environment, but was an extra hand in getting coconuts down.

Did not use them much in the mountains, but hey, been in some pretty thick crap in the mountains.

My view, if you want to carry a machette, great. If not, great. I'm not here to pass judgements just pass out some info and take in info.

Oh yeh, by the way, I can gaurantee that if you are swinging a machette, ax, pick, sledge, or a variety of other damaging weapons and wearing gloves, I will be back at the truck. Too many greenhorns wear gloves, swing sharp objects and them thar objects go flying. That is the only time I will take of my wedding ring.

most of my psyche is hoping that i dont come into this situation but if i ever have a serious run in with a grizzly im thinking my machete and large baton will come in handy

Blog Entries

Cool Machetes in the Bush.

Well, at least Owl Girl is with you on that one for sure. IF, and I repeat again, IF I was inclined to use a machete in the Bush, (Yes I have one, and even sent a Colt Jungle Commander back to A.G. Russel for a full refund, whatta peicea crap!) I'd pick Ontario's RTAK-II. Here's the thing to remember dawg, we got all types here, and they get by just fine. Prove yourself 1st before preaching to others, okay?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

You got it boss

Back on topic.

I would want(for this area) a water filter! I never leave the house without a knife of some kind, so that is covered. Fire is there if I need it( I know how). The water filter would come in handy and it is not something I carry with me.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

I can knap a knife, axe, spear tip, and arrow heads. I can carve a bow with the knife. I can make fire any number of ways. I can read trail signs and the sun and stars to find direction. I can make warm clothing out of plants and animals if needed.

Many of us are educated enough to survive with nothing, so a purist like me sees anything at all as a luxury to make surviving easier. One of the more difficult aspects of survival is supplying food, so I would focus on that one thing to make easier and bring a gun of some sort.

The difference between using a stone knife and steel knife is significant, but the different between using a green survival bow and a scoped rifle is massive. A gun would turn several days of hard tracking and hunting into potentially only a few hours.

Keep in mind I've never hunted with a gun, only a camera, so take it for what it's worth.

a love or a knife... hmmm

A good fixedblade knife

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Talking Guess I go along with most.......

1. Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders
    NOPE??? Then I would want my Ek edge & 1/2. If I have my pants on I will always, and I mean always have my SAK & my SOG Flash II. Overkill you say on the blades? Me, I don't think so.

Hands down. A good quality, full tang knife.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    NOPE??? Then I would want my Ek edge & 1/2. If I have my pants on I will always, and I mean always have my SAK & my SOG Flash II. Overkill you say on the blades? Me, I don't think so.
    no such thing as overkill on the blades OleWV.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Cool Well.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    Now you're sounding like me. I think just maybe that's how "Ole VW Coot" got to live so long to put the "Ole" in front of his name!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I took time and thought about whether one of my knives 4.5" - 5", or my Leathermen Wave. Yes the Wave has lots of tools, but for hunting, digging, chopping and protection, The Wave doesn't "cut" it (sorry had to), So it's one of my knives.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Red face Sorry just noticed the link.

I would choose rope or cordage. A machette would be good to have for sure, but lashings are only good for so much and it takes me a while to make enough cordage that is usable fishing or trapping. I could make a useable stone knife for cutting through sapplings and flakes for cutting line. Just my thought on it.
    "Choose, they croon (the ancient ones) ' The time has come again.' Choose now they croon beneath the moon beside an ancient lake ' Enter again the sweet forest. Enter the hot dream. Come with us.'Everything is broken up in dances." (Jim Morrison)