Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If U Got LosT And U Could Have 1 Thing What Would It Be

Quote Originally Posted by owl_girl View Post
    If I was in the south American rainforest id want a Machete. The Machete in the photo I was using as an example of a saw-back, I wasn’t saying that was the one I wanted. I do like the idea of a shorter blade machete because I’m afraid id be clumsy with a long one. But a little bowie knife isn’t going to get me far in impenetrable jungle. In post #8 I mentioned it would depend on the terrain and climate I’m in, obviously I wouldn’t use it in the desert or grassland terrain.
    True, I wasnt thinking much out of the box and was only thinking of my own personal situation and the area that I normally stay around where a knife of that size would do more harm then good as compared to a smaller more useable one.

And Sarge I think my error is the use of a wrong word(s), I should have said common sense instead of intelligent.

Blog Entries

Wink Common?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky789 View Post
    True, I wasnt thinking much out of the box and was only thinking of my own personal situation and the area that I normally stay around where a knife of that size would do more harm then good as compared to a smaller more useable one.

And Sarge I think my error is the use of a wrong word(s), I should have said common sense instead of intelligent.
    I think it should be called "UNcommon sense" as it's not all that common. The way I see it there are those of us who are into this, and those who are not. The others are the ones we might have to help some day so we need to be ready.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

A beer!
    No seriously, other than necessary clothing and footwear, I think a multi tool like the leatherman wave would be the ticket (the made in USA version)

The flint is good and water bottle not to use the Bear Grylls top three but after all, his survival expert is where that came from.

Steve

That would depend on where I was lost, the time of year, etc. I'd have to say a compass, knife, or fire starter depending on the situation.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by woodzman View Post
    That would depend on where I was lost, the time of year, etc. I'd have to say a compass, knife, or fire starter depending on the situation.
    If the only knife I carried was my Swiss Army Champ then I have a magnifying glass as well as many other tools to help me out. But it would probably be either my Buck Vanguard or my Ka-bar USMC fighting knife, either one can help me start a fire. As for direction-finding I can usually figure that out from the North star, my wrist watch etc.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I would ask for my survival kit as my one thing
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    If the only knife I carried was my Swiss Army Champ then I have a magnifying glass as well as many other tools to help me out. But it would probably be either my Buck Vanguard or my Ka-bar USMC fighting knife, either one can help me start a fire. As for direction-finding I can usually figure that out from the North star, my wrist watch etc.

You pickin' on me Sarge? Those Swiss Army knives are nice arent they? I've carried one for quite a few years and I don't think a day has gone by that I haven't used it for one thing or another.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Victorinox!

Quote Originally Posted by woodzman View Post
    You pickin' on me Sarge? Those Swiss Army knives are nice arent they? I've carried one for quite a few years and I don't think a day has gone by that I haven't used it for one thing or another.
    I carry the Swiss Army Rucksack model on me constantly!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

If U Got LosT And U Could Have 1 Thing What Would It Be

It would definately be my 'tree beater'

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SOE digital View Post
    If U Got LosT And U Could Have 1 Thing What Would It Be

It would definately be my 'tree beater'

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    What kind of knife is that?

A tree beater

Well it's a kukri. A Nepal knife made most famous by the Gurkhas.
    The British SAS swear by them for use in the jungle. The blade has many different points of use...depending on what you're doing.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Bush knife

A tree beater

The British SAS swear by them for use in the jungle. The blade has many different points of use...depending on what you're doing.
    That's the ideal knife for a jungle envirnment or an area with really thick brush. More of a machete really. Check out John "Lofty" Wiseman's book: "The SAS Survival Handbook". However, for any other situation I'll use a regular hunting knife. That looks like a top-quality model, BTW.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I would take a leatherman multi tool.
    Jesus is my king.

it looks like a boomarang with a blade at the end

A tree beater

That’s an awesome knife. How big is it?

isnt it weird how we talk about a thread then get side-tract and talk about somthing the exact oposite
    wAs Up SuRvIaLiStS

A satellite phone would be handy, but that notwithstanding, I'd go with a knife. I could make do with pretty much any knife. Owl Girl, a dog might be a bad option if you're in an area with large predators, chances are they'll attack the dog whereas they'll leave a human alone. Wolves, lynx, cougars would all fit that category.

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    A satellite phone would be handy, but that notwithstanding, I'd go with a knife. I could make do with pretty much any knife. Owl Girl, a dog might be a bad option if you're in an area with large predators, chances are they'll attack the dog whereas they'll leave a human alone. Wolves, lynx, cougars would all fit that category.
    I’ve seen some really big dogs. Not that a cougar couldn’t kill a big dog but how likely would it try considering they don’t like to take risks. Predators go for the week. A good example would be a bear, they are scared of dogs not because dogs are more powerful than they are but because they stand there ground and make ferocious and loud sounds. I would however worry about wolves getting my dog because they hunt in packs, but if I’m there I don’t think wolves will try it. So if a predator sees me and a big brave noisy dog it will probably leave us alone where as if it just sees me alone I look a lot more week to it. Also predators like the element of surprise and considering dogs have better senses and are more alert it could warn me of the presence of a predator giving me the upper hand. And in the sad and unfortunate event the dog dos get attacked at the vary least it has distracted the Predator away from me. Plus they can hunt, keep me warm, be good company and discourage humans with ill intentions. So I’m still not convinced a dog is all that bad of an idea.

I don't mean to harp on it, but one on one, not many dogs are going to take on a cougar or a wolf, and oftentimes, people who claimed they were attacked by wolves, it turned out, that wolves were attacking their dogs. I know of situations where wolf packs have chased after dogsledders. Conversely, I've walked within 25 yards of a wolf in the wild and he followed me just out of curiosity. Bears are generally more bothered by small dogs than big ones because they're harder to swat away.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

in a weird way i belive both of u
    wAs Up SuRvIaLiStS